Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I skied Mammoth Nov. 11-12. I swung by the Park 'n Ride Thursday afternoon and there is zero evidence of any construction activity. I saw one Model S at the Lone Pine charger on the way home.

The season is starting on a promising note.

Sorry, I don't know how to delete the oversize images.

I hate you. :wink:

I caved and bought my season pass with the $100 credit. I would have saved another $100 if I bought it last year, but oh well. Heading up Christmas week. I called The Village. They said a $20 charge if not staying. Fine by me! I do want a few hours of charge though. Just in case, anyone have access to 220 up there? Nothing on plugshare.

Last edited:
I hate you. :wink:

I caved and bought my season pass with the $100 credit. I would have saved another $100 if I bought it last year, but oh well. Heading up Christmas week. I called The Village. They said a $20 charge if not staying. Fine by me! I do want a few hours of charge though. Just in case, anyone have access to 220 up there? Nothing on plugshare.

You are welcome to use my 50amp 220. I won't be up there until after Christmas so PM me and we can work out the details of getting in the garage. The condo is ski in and out so you could do some turns while your car charges.

Must be salt. Snow? In the Sierra?? In November??! There, there, old timer, you must be off your meds and hallucinating again - we haven't had any of that for a lifetime (or so it seems):biggrin:
I've used my backcountry skis the last two mornings here in the SoCal mountains. There's only 2-3", but the base was pretty solid due to the storm starting as rain, followed by hail, and then a hard freeze. But those conditions at Mammoth - wow! Those of you in a position to drive your Teslas up 395, enjoy!

I've been doing Reno to LA since 2011 using RV parks and it is so easy and fast now with Superchargers in Lone Pine and Topaz Lake. The sweet thing about Mammoth is that with a full charge 85kWh charge at 8500 feet you can go a long way in the summer - Truckee, Bay Area, even L.A. Vegas will be possible with only 30 minutes charge time as soon as Beatty (now under construction) is up and running. The drive through Death Valley is really scenic.

I've been doing Reno to LA since 2011 using RVParks and it is so easy and fast now with Superchargers in Lone Pine and Topaz Lake. The sweet thing about Mammoth is that with a full charge 85kWh charge at 8500 feet you can go a long way in the summer - Truckee, Bay Area, even L.A. Vegas will be possible with only 30 minutes charge time as soon as Beatty (now under construction) is up and running. The drive through Death Valley is really scenic.

So is the drive through Deep Springs Valley and over Westgard Pass, although the road is twisty in many places.

Regarding the Mammoth Supercharger: I am no contractor, but is it reasonable to assume that construction would start in the throes of winter? Mammoth can get real cold, and frequently highway 203 from US395 to Mammoth Mountain Inn requires chains during and after a snowstorm.

Regarding the Mammoth Supercharger: I am no contractor, but is it reasonable to assume that construction would start in the throes of winter? Mammoth can get real cold, and frequently highway 203 from US395 to Mammoth Mountain Inn requires chains during and after a snowstorm.
Makes sense, though I remember reading about other SC's in the mid-west that were built in the midst of some pretty significant weather. They have certainly done this before.

I skied Mammoth today and I am pleased to report that the supercharger is under construction. First pic is from ~7:15PM Dec. 8
IMG_2564.JPG

And this one from 8:10AM Dec. 9.
IMG_2569.JPG

This implies at least a 12-hour shift for the construction crew. Anyone know how fast they try to do the construction work? At any rate the crew is not allowed to divulge or even speculate when it will be open. As we know here in Burbank, construction is step one. They are still waiting here for some kind of clearance from the city, despite the Service Center/Showroom being open since October 22.

As you can see from the pics there is very little snow in town at Mammoth now. It has been 50+F the past 3 days, though that is about to change with quite a bit of snow possible over the next few days. The supercharger is quite close to the ranger station at the entrance to town which gets barely half the snow that Main Lodge gets.

And look what I saw when I was getting on the mountain at Chair 2 about 8:30 this morning.
IMG_2570.JPG

That's an 85D, which I have ordered for April delivery. It will get at least one spring ski trip to Mammoth assuming that supercharger is open by then.

At least there are other options until then.
Not very good ones. I try to stay cheap up there and thus don't have convenient access to overnight charging. I don't think round trip Lone Pine-Mammoth is possible with the hill climbing and even average winter temperatures. Maybe at snail-like speeds.

I will not try to take a Model S to Mammoth until that supercharger is open, and as I noted earlier the building of that supercharger was a key factor in the decision to place my order.

Not very good ones. I try to stay cheap up there and thus don't have convenient access to overnight charging. I don't think round trip Lone Pine-Mammoth is possible with the hill climbing and even average winter temperatures. Maybe at snail-like speeds.

I will not try to take a Model S to Mammoth until that supercharger is open, and as I noted earlier the building of that supercharger was a key factor in the decision to place my order.
I called The Village and confirmed that they allow charging at one of their HPWC for $20. That's less than half the cost of lunch at Canyon Lodge!! :tongue:
You are correct in that a round trip from Lone Pine is nearly impossible. The round trip uses 234 RM at a speed factor of 1.1. That's not slow. The biggest issue, however, is loses from the cold weather, along with any use of the car once up there. I would recommend charging up there, adding at least another 100 miles, depending on how cold it is and how long you are up there.

I called The Village and confirmed that they allow charging at one of their HPWC for $20. That's less than half the cost of lunch at Canyon Lodge!! :tongue:
You are correct in that a round trip from Lone Pine is nearly impossible. The round trip uses 234 RM at a speed factor of 1.1. That's not slow. The biggest issue, however, is loses from the cold weather, along with any use of the car once up there. I would recommend charging up there, adding at least another 100 miles, depending on how cold it is and how long you are up there.

There is Tesla charging at the 8050 residence - they have HPWC's and will not charge if you eat at the adjacent restaurant, which has excellent food and fair prices - gotta eat somewhere

I believe the SC is in the lot adjacent to the Chart House. That is what is listed on Supercharge.info at least, and was based on the address given at the city council meeting.
I too would like the name of that restaurant.

I called The Village. They said a $20 charge if not staying. Fine by me! I do want a few hours of charge though. Just in case, anyone have access to 220 up there? Nothing on plugshare.
Just to confirm, when you say "The Village," you mean the HPWC location listed on Teslamotors.com as The Village Lodge at Mammoth,
phone (760) 934-1982 ?
I agree $20 to charge without being a guest is reasonable. Many hotels/lodges will refuse non guests.
Do you know if this is valet parking, so that it will not be ICEd ?

I have the dual chargers, which would be valuable in this situation.
Tesla HPWC map also shows a location called 80|50, which are condos, with two 80A HPWC "available to the public." Also, it might be ICEed.
I would be glad to eat at the adjacent restaurant reported by man123.
The 80|50 web site links to the restaurant, named Toomey's. It looks kind of high-end. Do they serve lunch ?

I wish the Tesla would display how much power is going to the heating/AC. That is one feature where the LEAF beats the Tesla. Do you folks with Winter experience find the temperature dependence of power loss estimated by EVTripplanner reasonably accurate ? What is the maximum power draw for heat ? I know the car routes it own waste heat into the cabin to help.

If the conditions on the passes between Lee Vining and Topaz lake require chains, is there anyone available to put them on for you like on I80, or am I dreaming for 395?
How easy is it to install the Tesla snow cables for 19" wheels ?

Last edited:
Just to confirm, when you say "The Village," you mean the HPWC location listed on Teslamotors.com as The Village Lodge at Mammoth,
phone (760) 934-1982 ?
I agree $20 to charge without being a guest is reasonable. Many hotels/lodges will refuse non guests.
Do you know if this is valet parking, so that it will not be ICEd ?
That's the place. Last time I stayed there was years ago, and they did not have valet parking then.