Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having seen other city councils be actively hostile toward projects like this, it was great to see in that video that they're universally supportive and excited about building this. I've never been to Mammoth before, but maybe it's worth a road trip once this opens (and my 85D arrives).

I'm heading back for MLK weekend and thinking of heading to June for a day, but would really need the SC up a running to make that happen. It looks like it is really close, but there has been zero activity over the last two weeks. Hopefully, they will jump on this again this week with the holidays behind us.

I have to say, I had an interesting experience driving to and from Mammoth last week. For those of you used to cold weather driving, this may be old news. This was my first trip to serious cold weather. Most of us who visit Mammoth come from warm climates, and have no experience with dealing with these issues.

First, my range usage was much higher than predicted. I used evtripplanner and calculated for the correct weight, using a speed multiplier of 1.1. I used a temp of 45 degrees, but it was really about 32 for the drive up, and colder once I made the climb up the hill. I did not use the climate control at all, just the heated seats. There were some headwinds for the first half of the trip, which would account for my heavy usage then, but little for the second half. My understanding was that evtripplanner speed multiplier uses 1.0 for "average" speed found on the route, not the posted speed. I did a steady 74 mph the entire trip (minus the town crossings of course). That's a nice comfortable speed, and even though I have a radar detector, it is less stressful to keep a steady safe speed that they don't care about, and remain relaxed. Anyway, my energy usage from Lone Pine to Mammoth more approximated a speed multiplier of 1.2. Maybe a little less. Perhaps the biggest factor was the cold. Was it that the battery had to work harder to keep warm?

While in Mammoth, it was COLD. One day, the high was only 9 degrees. I arrived with about 42 miles remaining, and got an warning message that I was in low power mode and should charge soon, which I did. I hardly drove while there, mostly because it dumped 14" my first day there and the roads sucked and I didn't want to put my chains on. Even so, people were sliding all over the place, even with chains. Being Christmas, few of the private roads were maintained. I have to admit though, when I did drive, my Model S handled the ice beautifully. I kept the car in energy saving mode, and lost very few miles while parked. Maybe 7 miles/day. I was relieved for that.

The next big issue for me was the return trip. By the time I left Mammoth, the temperature was up to a downright balmy 32 degrees. I still got a warning message stating something to the effect of "power may be limited" and that regenerative braking was not available. I assume this was due to a cold battery. I've never seen this before, and do not frequent the cold weather forums. The disappointing nature of this was that most of the regeneration for the drive home is immediately upon leaving Mammoth. I got no regeneration for the first 30+ minutes of the trip, at which time, I got a slow return of this feature. Since I do not have easy access to charging, I cannot pre-warm the battery or the cabin. Once the SC is live, I could plug in there for a few minutes, but that takes up time. As long as I have enough miles to get going, I might as well skip the regen, and drive to Lone Pine and spend the time there. Half a dozen of one, 6 of another I guess.

Last edited:
I have to say, I had an interesting experience driving to and from Mammoth last week. For those of you used to cold weather driving, this may be old news. This was my first trip to serious cold weather. Most of us who visit Mammoth come from warm climates, and have no experience with dealing with these issues.

First, my range usage was much higher than predicted. I used evtripplanner and calculated for the correct weight, using a speed multiplier of 1.1. I used a temp of 45 degrees, but it was really about 32 for the drive up, and colder once I made the climb up the hill. I did not use the climate control at all, just the heated seats. There were some headwinds for the first half of the trip, which would account for my heavy usage then, but little for the second half. My understanding was that evtripplanner speed multiplier uses 1.0 for "average" speed found on the route, not the posted speed. I did a steady 74 mph the entire trip (minus the town crossings of course). That's a nice comfortable speed, and even though I have a radar detector, it is less stressful to keep a steady safe speed that they don't care about, and remain relaxed. Anyway, my energy usage from Lone Pine to Mammoth more approximated a speed multiplier of 1.2. Maybe a little less. Perhaps the biggest factor was the cold. Was it that the battery had to work harder to keep warm?

While in Mammoth, it was COLD. One day, the high was only 9 degrees. I arrived with about 42 miles remaining, and got an warning message that I was in low power mode and should charge soon, which I did. I hardly drove while there, mostly because it dumped 14" my first day there and the roads sucked and I didn't want to put my chains on. Even so, people were sliding all over the place, even with chains. Being Christmas, few of the private roads were maintained. I have to admit though, when I did drive, my Model S handled the ice beautifully. I kept the car in energy saving mode, and lost very few miles while parked. Maybe 7 miles/day. I was relieved for that.

The next big issue for me was the return trip. By the time I left Mammoth, the temperature was up to a downright balmy 32 degrees. I still got a warning message stating something to the effect of "power may be limited" and that regenerative braking was not available. I assume this was due to a cold battery. I've never seen this before, and do not frequent the cold weather forums. The disappointing nature of this was that most of the regeneration for the drive home is immediately upon leaving Mammoth. I got no regeneration for the first 30+ minutes of the trip, at which time, I got a slow return of this feature. Since I do not have easy access to charging, I cannot pre-warm the battery or the cabin. Once the SC is live, I could plug in there for a few minutes, but that takes up time. As long as I have enough miles to get going, I might as well skip the regen, and drive to Lone Pine and spend the time there. Half a dozen of one, 6 of another I guess.

How much charge did you have leaving Lone Pine? I plan on making the trip in my 70D shortly after the Mammoth SC is live and if you only have 42 miles of range upon arrival, I will probably be down to around 10.

How much charge did you have leaving Lone Pine? I plan on making the trip in my 70D shortly after the Mammoth SC is live and if you only have 42 miles of range upon arrival, I will probably be down to around 10.
I do not recall exactly, but know that it was definitely over 200 when I left. I planned on using 149 with a speed multiplier of 1.1, but really used about 165. Your 70D should have no problem making it up there. I am heading up again next week. This time, I will have dinner in Lone Pine, giving me enough time to get a range charge are extra time to de-stress when I arrive.

The other issue I came across was the ridiculous navigation messages. On the way up, I went through Inyokern (I came from Lake Arrowhead). I charged with enough juice and sufficient buffer to make it to Lone Pine. 5 minutes into the trip, I got a warning message to slow down to make it. About 5 minutes later, the nav tried re-routing me back to Inyokern. It just did not like the fact that I was going to arrive with less than 20% of a charge. It was really annoying. Same thing on the return. I had plenty of range left to make it to Mojave, but the nav kept trying to send me to Inyokern, and from there to Burbank. This time, I just removed the charging stops and went along full speed, making it to Mojave with about 32 miles left.

I tell you, less tech savvy people would have problems with this.

I've driven it from Orange County close to 10 times now, i would always recommend leaving lone pine with 200 miles ++ in the winter. The head winds can be brutal and driving 55 mph on a road that most cars do 80 on isn't fun. And yes on the way home turn of the darned trip planner, it's absolutely crazy the things it'll have you do on the way home... Agreed that a less tech-savy individual would probably have a seriously hard time with this. Hopefully they are going to fix it asap.

First, my range usage was much higher than predicted.

While in Mammoth, it was COLD. One day, the high was only 9 degrees. I arrived with about 42 miles remaining, and got an warning message that I was in low power mode and should charge soon, which I did. I hardly drove while there, mostly because it dumped 14" my first day there and the roads sucked and I didn't want to put my chains on. Even so, people were sliding all over the place, even with chains. Being Christmas, few of the private roads were maintained. I have to admit though, when I did drive, my Model S handled the ice beautifully. I kept the car in energy saving mode, and lost very few miles while parked. Maybe 7 miles/day. I was relieved for that. >>>>>

Did you get any charge while in Mammoth? If so, which of the several options mentioned in this thread, and how much delay did that involve ?
It is good to hear that despite the local road conditions, you managed to avoid putting on chains without having the dual motor. Did you use the standard 19" all season tires, not snow tires?

Did you get any charge while in Mammoth? If so, which of the several options mentioned in this thread, and how much delay did that involve ?
It is good to hear that despite the local road conditions, you managed to avoid putting on chains without having the dual motor. Did you use the standard 19" all season tires, not snow tires?
I charged at a friend's garage my first night there, and that lasted me the several days there until I returned to Lone Pine. I have the standard tires. I carried the chains with me, just in case.

I just found this excellent blog post by Doug here. Actually, I saw a reference to it on another thread. This forum is getting filled with threads about cold weather driving this week. I knew cold weather had an impact on the energy, but being from LA, did not realize how much, nor did I understand that regeneration would be completely turned off in such situations. Now, everything makes sense. This should be mandatory reading for all new Tesla owners, or at least, anyone who expects to ever use their car in cold weather.

I just found this excellent blog post by Doug here. Actually, I saw a reference to it on another thread. This forum is getting filled with threads about cold weather driving this week. I knew cold weather had an impact on the energy, but being from LA, did not realize how much, nor did I understand that regeneration would be completely turned off in such situations. Now, everything makes sense. This should be mandatory reading for all new Tesla owners, or at least, anyone who expects to ever use their car in cold weather.

Thanks for the link!

Back on topic: any progress on the Mammoth SC construction/availability? I really hope it comes online in the next 10 days!

Looks like we are all heading up on the 14th! I doubt there has been any progress with all the storms hitting the area. I am conflicted. I want the snow, but I also want the SC open. I'll take the snow first, SC second.

Looks like we are all heading up on the 14th! I doubt there has been any progress with all the storms hitting the area. I am conflicted. I want the snow, but I also want the SC open. I'll take the snow first, SC second.

I am also going up on the 14th. Without the supercharger and having a 70D I am planning on renting a car unless anyone has a better idea. Enterprise has weekend rates of $9.99/day for 100 miles of driving plus 0.2/mile after that.

I hope so. The SC opening for our trip would be amazing.

Wow that's at least 4 of us that will be in Mammoth this MLK weekend!

I certainly hope the Tesla team is reading this and working hard to get the Mammoth SC open on time for us :biggrin:

Where are you coming from? You will make it but you'd have to charge to 85%-90% which would put you in range. Use EVTripPlanner.com, set the temps and payload and also speed factor to 1.1 if you drive fast. You can use the Details section to see consumption. There's a bunch of HPWC's out there but looks like we have to call and be guests, might be an issue for me.

I am also going up on the 14th. Without the supercharger and having a 70D I am planning on renting a car unless anyone has a better idea. Enterprise has weekend rates of $9.99/day for 100 miles of driving plus 0.2/mile after that.

Where are you coming from? You will make it but you'd have to charge to 85%-90% which would put you in range. Use EVTripPlanner.com, set the temps and payload and also speed factor to 1.1 if you drive fast. You can use the Details section to see consumption. There's a bunch of HPWC's out there but looks like we have to call and be guests, might be an issue for me.

I'm driving in from San Francisco. I plan to charge in Folsom, take highways 50 to 89 to 88 to 395, then charge again in Gardnerville.
According to EVTP, the round-trip between Gardnerville and Mammoth will require 244 rated miles for my P85D, which is pretty much exactly how much I'm getting on a 100% charge these days.
There will definitely be some losses during the time I'll be skiing and staying overnight, so I will definitely have to charge in Mammoth.
Here's to hoping the Mammoth SC opens up by next week!

You could also charge at Manteca and then take SR88 directly off SR99 and bypass US50 and Echo Summit. EVTP indicates that with 900 pounds of payload and 28 degrees that would take about 220 RM. If you think you will run short, there is an 80A HPWC in Minden.

SR88 is usually an easier drive than US50 (in my view :smile:) and there is much less traffic. Driving past Kirkwood, Silver Lake, Caples Lake and into Hope Valley is much prettier than the same old same old along US50.

Of course this time of year weather and road conditions are important. Caltrans keeps 50 plowed from Twin Bridges to Meyers more frequently than they do SR88. And there are intermittent closures of 88 near Kirkwood for "avalanche control" during snowstorms. But all else being equal, I would always fancy 88 and Carson Pass over 50 and Echo Summit.