Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - McAllen, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live about 2 1/2 miles from the current SC. One the one hand, I can't say this is a surprise. The current one stays pretty busy and its not that unusual for it to be full. On the other hand, there is another NEVI site going in at the Love's Travel Center just north of Edinburg on US281/I-69C. (https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/statewide/EV Charging Plan/Phase1/TX_NEVI_Results.pdf) I don't know if that will be a Tesla SC or another company with NACS plugs. Most likely it will be another company.

The current site is in the Embassy Suites parking lot and there is no room for expansion. That hotel stays busy and the parking lot full. There is some vacant land nearby.

Considering the number of new SCs in the Rio Grande Valley, I have to wonder why we need them all. Nobody drives through the Valley to get some place else. (Very few people travel to Mexico anymore.) My guess is that it's the Space X effect. The first two Starship launches overwhelmed the existing SCs. That would account for all the new SCs being built or permitted on the routes to the Valley from San Antonio and/or Houston, such as the new NEVI site in Raymondville.

For Edinburg Love's itself was the applicant, so they may be wanting to get their own branded chargers.

Somebody posted a link to the NEVI results, So I started a NEVI thread for Texas.

Edinburgh is #36 on the list of results, here:

Reactions: get-atty
For Edinburg Love's itself was the applicant, so they may be wanting to get their own branded chargers.
Interesting too that Love's applied for another charger at the Three Rivers Supercharger location. I assume some will be NACS plugs and the rest CCS.

Looks like many (most?) of the big travel center chains are putting in chargers. From a business perspective, this makes sense to me.