Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Find Us site is showing it as open now. Jackson and Memphis so close together - I'm shocked! Now, how about some Arkansas action? I'd love to be able to take the Model S from Nashville to visit the family in Dallas.....
I asked the Tesla Supercharger Team to consider Lonoke, AR or North Little Rock as possible sites at Holiday Inns. Lonoke is 128 miles from Memphis and North Little Rock is 150 miles. Holiday Inns have supported Superchargers in the past.

I suggested Alma, AR as the next Supercharger going west and it is about 140 miles from Little Rock and just east of I-49. Alma to Oklahoma City is a longer stretch, about 200 miles. Heading to Sulfur Springs, TX would be tough without a new 100KW battery.

Let the Supercharger Team know that we need at least two more in Arkansas to complete the I-40 route.

Still would like something on the west side of Memphis. Heading to Little Rock from north the Memphis SuperCharger is 24 miles east that we dont need to drive and then 24 miles back. So basically 50 miles of the charging is simply to get to the charger and then back on our way to Little Rock. So about an hour of driving and extra 5-10 minutes of charging.

Reactions: PtG62901
IMG_5960.PNG
Charged for a bit today while getting a haircut

Seems slow for a supercharger, had the same issue the first time I charged in Pearl, MS

The charger is starting to worry me a bit. I tried 3B at lunch today and it was never able to break 50kW. At the start no one else was there, when I returned someone was on 1A. I'm hoping the chargers output is just limited initially until they've verified everything is working properly.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    472.4 KB · Views: 51
The charger is starting to worry me a bit. I tried 3B at lunch today and it was never able to break 50kW. At the start no one else was there, when I returned someone was on 1A. I'm hoping the chargers output is just limited initially until they've verified everything is working properly.

Call Tesla support and report the low amps because this is definitely a problem.

This may be a good case to see if Tesla has instituted geofencing. We need someone from at least 50 miles out of town to drive thru here and see what charge rate he or she gets. I can confirm that when a Memphian drives thru Jackson TN he gets the full power of the SuC there.

Any volunteers? @theslimshadyist ?? Saturday morning?

This may be a good case to see if Tesla has instituted geofencing. We need someone from at least 50 miles out of town to drive thru here and see what charge rate he or she gets. I can confirm that when a Memphian drives thru Jackson TN he gets the full power of the SuC there.

Local Tesla owners need to read this bullet on Tesla's website:
  • Free long distance travel on Tesla's expanding Supercharger network
Local owner's charging at SCs instead of charging at home or other locations will cause Tesla to go to Geofencing to stop you from doing it.

@CSFTN Want me to drive to the Jackson, TN SpC over the weekend to test this theory out?

Tesla's Find Us site is showing it as open now. Jackson and Memphis so close together - I'm shocked! Now, how about some Arkansas action? I'd love to be able to take the Model S from Nashville to visit the family in Dallas.....
I'd like on in Arkansas too. Would be great to have three, Little Rock, Fort Smith and Texarkana or drop by my house in Hot Springs where there's a single Nema 14-50 outlet. Having the Superchargers in those three locations would make transit through Arkansas possible for the Teslas owned outside Arkansas, and would greatly help boost ownership within Arkansas too.

Local owner's charging at SCs instead of charging at home or other locations will cause Tesla to go to Geofencing to stop you from doing it.

Has there ever been definitive proof of geofencing for locals? I can imagine they would for the heavier users but considering this is such a new installation I'm concerned it's a bad configuration. At this point I'm more worried for people passing through, since the Memphis-Jackson SpC combo offers a new route for many. I'd hate for them to get here and discover it's much slower than expected.

I'll be interested in hearing from anybody passing through what their results are. I might stop by again today and test each charger pair to see if their all performing the same.

Has there ever been definitive proof of geofencing for locals? I can imagine they would for the heavier users but considering this is such a new installation I'm concerned it's a bad configuration. At this point I'm more worried for people passing through, since the Memphis-Jackson SpC combo offers a new route for many. I'd hate for them to get here and discover it's much slower than expected.

I'll be interested in hearing from anybody passing through what their results are. I might stop by again today and test each charger pair to see if their all performing the same.

I was one of the first to charge in Pearl, MS (and certainly not local, it's over 200 miles from my house) and had the same issue with slow charging.

Two days later on the return trip it was completely normal.

One more data point, not sure if it's significant.

I was one of the first to charge in Pearl, MS (and certainly not local, it's over 200 miles from my house) and had the same issue with slow charging.

Two days later on the return trip it was completely normal.

One more data point, not sure if it's significant.

Good to know. I'm hopeful we're still in the burn-in phase for the new SpC equipment and once everything proves stable they unlock the full speed charging capability.

Stopped by to test every charger pair (1B, 2A, 3A, and 4B) and they all topped out at ~40kW and settled in around 38kW. I started off at 60% charge so it could easily go above the limits we've been seeing.

After calling support about the issue the rep stated "my battery was too cold to accept the full charge rate". I find this a bit suspect as the ambient temperature was 63ºF and my vehicle sat in the sun all day (parked near the FedEx airport ramp which is always a bit warmer than the surrounding city). He did go on to note that the SpC equipment was reporting healthy and no other support tickets had been put in.

At this point it'd be worth seeing what an out of town vehicle (or just full warmed up battery pack) will pull.

I believe you are stating a hypothesis rather than a theory or a known fact. My point is this is a perfect opportunity to test that hypothesis.

PS - in case you missed the first copy of pages in this thread, I am not looking to use this charger for local driving. I just wanted to christen it and then never use again but the opportunity to perform this test is very enticing.

Last edited:
@CSFTN Want me to drive to the Jackson, TN SpC over the weekend to test this theory out?
How about we make a day of it? I will meet you in Jackson, we can both test, and then pending the result of the test at least I of not we drive to the Memphis SuC and compare? Mostly, I'd really like to see a con-local sit near two but on a different charger to a local and compare our results. I regret that I a asking you to rive 400+ miles round trip to make the comparison. If anyone is closer and can volunteer, I am pretty sure I can clear most of my day tomorrow to provide the local vehicle pretty much any time of the day.

I'm going to go unplug my car before it charges tonight off my HPWC.