Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you are stating a hypothesis rather than a theory or a known fact. My point is this is a perfect opportunity to test that hypothesis.

PS - in case you missed the first copy of pages in this thread, I am not looking to use this charger for local driving. I just wanted to christen it and then never use again but the opportunity to perform this test is very enticing.

CSFTN, I owe you an apology. I guess I did not read the first page and misspoke.

Reactions: CSFTN
I just stopped at the Memphis supercharger, after 34 miles at highway speeds, with the heat, lights, wipers all going so presumably the battery was warm.

Topped out at a little over 50kw.

CSFTN pulled up while I was there, and he was getting about 70 kw..

I called the number on the charging pylon, which was kinda of funny:

"Which supercharger did you say?"

-"Memphis."

"Is that in California?"

-"no."

"How do you spell it?"

-"m-e-m-p-h-i-s. It's in Tennessee."

"What's the closest city?"

He had me change to a different stall, which made no difference, then apologized for the inconvenience and promised to pass it along.

We'll see ;)

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I just stopped at the Memphis supercharger, after 34 miles at highway speeds, with the heat, lights, wipers all going so presumably the battery was warm.

-"Memphis."

"Is that in California?"

-"no."

"How do you spell it?"

He had me change to a different stall, which made no difference, then apologized for the inconvenience and promised to pass it along.

We'll see ;)

Memphis IS the closest city.

So if the 23rd rolls around and this thing is still broken, I'll be having a nice long nap...

-"Memphis."

"Is that in California?"

-"no."

"How do you spell it?"

We'll see ;)

Those numbers are meaningless without knowing both of your strengths of charge when you started charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
IMG_5961.JPG
Those numbers are meaningless without knowing both of your strengths of charge when you started charging.
first time I tried was around 45-50% state of charge (see screenshot earlier in thread). Today was higher state of charge, around 65%, but same result.

And by my count, we now have at least four different local cars, with multiple attempts at each of the stalls, and nobody has reported a normal supercharging rate.

So either we have geofencing, ( which has been speculated but like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster nobody has definitive proof) or this is a defective installation.

I think if geofencing were real, we'd have heard about it before now.

And by my count, we now have at least four different local cars, with multiple attempts at each of the stalls, and nobody has reported a normal supercharging rate.

So either we have geofencing, ( which has been speculated but like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster nobody has definitive proof) or this is a defective installation.

I think if geofencing were real, we'd have heard about it before now.

I started at 43% full (107 miles) ambient temp of 44 deg F after driving ~ 25 miles at local road speeds. 73 kW for seconds then settled at 68 kW. Stayed there 5 minutes and then dropped to low 60's. I disconnected and reconnected; same. It was uncomfortably cold and rainy, and I wasn't dressed for the weather, and Flyeyes had just tried 2 of the remaining 3 Superchargers (and I had tried the 3rd several days ago) so I didn't test further. But, it is clear as Flyeyes stated that either there's a problem here or Tesla is choosing to limit the charge rate for those of us who have posted so far, all of whom have been locals.

As I posted early in the Gothenburg thread, I think these new Supercharger installs offer a great opportunity for the user base to decipher if Tesla has in fact instituted geofencing. Please, anyone charging at a new install chime in. List distance from primary residence, ambient temp, starting SOC, and charge rate. My bet is they haven't, as there are almost certainly better ways to limit or restrict locals from abusing Superchargers. We need a local charging at the same time as a long-distance driver on non-paired chargers, and then after 5 minutes for those 2 to swap spaces.

PS Flyeyes and I were charging simultaneously earlier; he was in the low 50s when I was in the high 60s, circumstances otherwise similar. I do have ludicrous and he (to my recollection) doesn't; anyone know if the Ludicrous circuitry allows higher charge rates, or possibly offers less electrical resistance to the act of Supercharging?

PPS I am going to bend the rules and post this in the main Supercharger thread.

Last edited:
I started at 43% full (107 miles) ambient temp of 44 deg F after driving ~ 25 miles at local road speeds. 73 kW for seconds then settled at 68 kW. Stayed there 5 minutes and then dropped to low 60's. I disconnected and reconnected; same. It was uncomfortably cold and rainy, and I wasn't dressed for the weather, and Flyeyes had just tried 2 of the remaining 3 Superchargers (and I had tried the 3rd several days ago) so I didn't test further. But, it is clear as Flyeyes stated that either there's a problem here or Tesla is choosing to limit the charge rate for those of us who have posted so far, all of whom have been locals.

As I posted early in the Gothenburg thread, I think these new Supercharger installs offer a great opportunity for the user base to decipher if Tesla has in fact instituted geofencing. Please, anyone charging at a new install chime in. List distance from primary residence, ambient temp, starting SOC, and charge rate. My bet is they haven't, as there are almost certainly better ways to limit or restrict locals from abusing Superchargers. We need a local charging at the same time as a long-distance driver on non-paired chargers, and then after 5 minutes for those 2 to swap spaces.

PS Flyeyes and I were charging simultaneously earlier; he was in the low 50s when I was in the high 60s, circumstances otherwise similar. I do have ludicrous and he (to my recollection) doesn't; anyone know if the Ludicrous circuitry allows higher charge rates, or possibly offers less electrical resistance to the act of Supercharging?

PPS I am going to bend the rules and post this in the main Supercharger thread.

Ludicrous does not have any effect of increasing the amps (charging rate) at a Supercharger. As you know, it does allow the motors to pull higher amps coming out of the battery to get that awesome acceleration.

I have charged at many Superchargers in Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia and the charge rates are normally over 300 amps when the battery has a low SOC (State of Charge) and tapers down to around 60 amps as the battery is almost fully charged. Like others have said, there has to be issues with the Superchargers and not Tesla decreasing the charge rates due to Geofencing.

I have some great news. Tesla responded to my e-mail that I sent to [email protected] regarding Superchargers in Arkansas:

----------------
Date: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM
To: Ray Smith <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Superchargers in Arkansas

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your email. We are in the final stages on construction for our Little Rock Supercharger Station, and we are certainly committed to establishing the network throughout the state. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers, especially in Arkansas, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

If you have specific property suggestions elsewhere in Arkansas, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

I have some great news. Tesla responded to my e-mail that I sent to [email protected] regarding Superchargers in Arkansas:

----------------
Date: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM
To: Ray Smith <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Superchargers in Arkansas

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your email. We are in the final stages on construction for our Little Rock Supercharger Station, and we are certainly committed to establishing the network throughout the state. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers, especially in Arkansas, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

If you have specific property suggestions elsewhere in Arkansas, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

That is awesome, and extends the frontier significantly.

However, it's 240 miles from Little Rock to Sulphur Springs, TX depending on the exact placement of the supercharger. That's a little long for comfort. Hopefully we'll see Texarkana soon.

That is awesome, and extends the frontier significantly.

However, it's 240 miles from Little Rock to Sulphur Springs, TX depending on the exact placement of the supercharger. That's a little long for comfort. Hopefully we'll see Texarkana soon.

I replied to their message and told them we need one in Texarkana. Hopefully they are already working on it but did not share that information. If they reply with additional information I will give an update.

I missed the working SC when I came back from Michigan. But one of you guys offered me a chance to use there home charger or CHAdeMO adapter and I thank you. If any body goes from Jackson to Memphis let me know what it takes to make it. On my drive north I noticed at the higher speeds and I had a TV in the back coming back the range was down. It looks like to make the trip from Jackson MS north to Memphis may take the trip charge of 260 just to be safe. Let me know.. I will not be any time soon when I go that route but "data data I can not build with out bricks" Thanks EVery body

I notice you've already posted in that thread, but for anyone else wondering.. Supercharger - Texarkana, TX

This is excellent news. A wooden stake through the heart of the Great Supercharger Desert. It will make our cars much more useful for those of us here in Memphis.

I also note that there is much activity along I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. After our desert, that was the biggest remaining hole other than sparsely populated North Dakota.

If they put one in Tupelo, MS and maybe a destination charger in Heber Springs, AR I don't even know what to ask for for Christmas. Maybe a diet coke.