Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montecito, CA (Rosewood Miramar, LIVE 4 Sep 2021, 8 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone confirmed that this will be a valet station? We were told by Tesla when we bought ours that the Supercharger station was going to be at the dealer.

The Santa Barbara/Goleta area, which includes Montecito, has to be among the higher Teslas per capita places in the world. The Tesla dealership is approximately in the middle of the area, the Montecito location is on the way out of town to the west, maybe ten miles from the dealer.

My guess is that if it's behind a valet stand in Montecito it will be open all the time, even with only eight chargers. I understand that the primary use of these is to keep people on their way, but it also seems like a bone to throw to high adoption areas, this has to be one of the highest in the world.

I won't be paying a valet to charge my car under any circumstances. Montecito residents might, Montecito, for those who don't know, the median home price is about $5M.

Has anyone confirmed that this will be a valet station? We were told by Tesla when we bought ours that the Supercharger station was going to be at the dealer.
There is no way to confirm that since this Supercharger doesn’t exist yet. And the showroom staff likely have no accurate inside information on the location of future Superchargers.

There is no way to confirm that since this Supercharger doesn’t exist yet. And the showroom staff likely have no accurate inside information on the location of future Superchargers.

The only consistent answer I get from a variety of Tesla service/showroom agents to questions like: when is the next refresh, when is powerwall 3 coming out, when will there be a Santa Barbara Supercharger, etc., is
“I don’t know.”

Have to give Tesla some credit... they do keep their “face to the customer” staff in the dark pretty well.

I just let a friend of mine who works at Tesla know that Medicine Hat Alberta is getting a Tesla station before Santa Barbara. Her reply: “I didn’t know that...” ... :)

Reactions: goldengate
The only consistent answer I get from a variety of Tesla service/showroom agents to questions like: when is the next refresh, when is powerwall 3 coming out, when will there be a Santa Barbara Supercharger, etc., is
“I don’t know.”
At least they are being honest! They really don’t have information about any of those things. Sometimes some of them make stuff up, people post it on TMC, people get all excited, and then get upset when it turns out to be inaccurate.

Best to just accept the fact, as you do, that the service/showroom staff don’t know about those kind of things because they aren’t told.

I think if anyone has seen the described location and how you get in and out you'd be able to tell. If I find some time to burn I'm going to go have a look.

The staff in Fremont didn't tell me that they likely had no accurate information, they said one was going in at the dealer. I have however since learned to take what they said with a grain of salt based on other things they told me.

I hope they did not use the word “dealer” since Tesla has no dealerships, they sell direct.
Very technically they still are dealers and, in the places that they are allowed, all their state licenses to sell cars name them as such. So, calling their sales locations dealerships is still perfectly valid. They just aren't independent franchised dealerships. But since, besides Tesla's, there really aren't hardly any car dealerships that aren't also a franchised dealership, the colloquial usage therefore treats the two terms as being the same thing. Easier and better to stick with "store" in order to emphasize the distinction.

I hope they did not use the word “dealer” since Tesla has no dealerships, they sell direct.
They did use the word dealer. And I've been to the one in Santa Barbara, I can go across the street and test drive a BMW, fill out an order form and pick my car up from them when it's ready, I was told that I could do the same thing at the place.....where there are Tesla's all over, I didn't ask who they belonged to, some were in the showroom, which was not virtual, and they had some there for me to drive, not AR, really drive. So I either went to a BMW dealer and then went to a Tesla hologram, which to me looked like and sounded like it performed the same functions as a BMW dealer, or I went to a Tesla dealer. I'm north of 50, so maybe the semantics of the word dealer have changed, but I and the people I talked to in Fremont I think agree that if you can test drive, order and pick up car at a location which has sales personnel, it's a dealer.

Why the passive aggressivism? You post as a moderator and tell people to stay on topic in other threads. The person going off topic here is you.

If there is something not valid in my posts a normal moderator, or myself in the case of threads I moderate on other boards, would say welcome to the forum, but here are the rules, and here is where you violated them or what you did wrong in your post. I don't think I violated any rules nor do I think I did anything wrong in my posts. I'm fairly assured that you will anyway but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The long and the short of it is that I really hope that Tesla does not say they have a supercharger station in Santa Barbara if it is a supercharger station with eight ports in Montecito behind a valet stand.

When I stop at a Supercharger station I try to at least eat a meal there, if not then do some shopping, but where this one will be..........if it's really behind a valet stand and...............I'm not sure that you could find a more expensive location in the US to go have a bite to eat or go shopping, I could probably fill my Cayenne with gas for less than an outing there would cost me. For now it sounds like it may be more for hotel guests, and if so more power to them, the hotel, that's a great amenity to offer. As long as it's not considered the Santa Barbara Supercharger.

Nothing in that is directed at you personally, I'm not really interested in debating the meaning of single or even multiple words, I'm just curious to know if this is the long awaited Santa Barbara Supercharger, and laid out a case as to why I hope it's not. That's all.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Why the passive aggressivism? You post as a moderator and tell people to stay on topic in other threads. The person going off topic here is you.
Yes, you are correct, I initiated an off topic exchange. I was disagreeing with the usage of the word “dealer”. In my opinion, Tesla has no “dealerships” as the word is commonly used by the public. State licenses may call Tesla showrooms “dealers” because the government has little precedent for vehicle manufacturers selling direct.

I would move my post and the responses to it to a new thread but your responses include a lot of commentary about a future Santa Barbara Supercharger (which is of course perfectly appropriate) and they would lose context. Note that I never said you violated any rules. You did not.

My apologies. Back to the thread topic, which is the long awaited Santa Barbara Supercharger.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Yes, you are correct, I initiated an off topic exchange. I was disagreeing with the usage of the word “dealer”.
The use of the word dealer came from them, not me. Really I was just commenting on what they said.

In some ways it doesn't matter., it would just be kind of nice to have a SC station to do a quick charge on.

Just for fun and maybe a little challenge, I've not hooked up my charger to my house, and I decided to try to never pay for a charge. So far I've been successful and never even come close to having a problem. Just my own game. It gets me some well needed exercise, there is a free charger about a 15 minute walk from my house, I've seen it mentioned on here before, it gets you 30mph. The key is to get there when there is a Prius or a Leaf on it, or no one. It does not show availability on any phone apps, which I consider part of the fun.

I didn't know what dual chargers meant, now I'm going to have to upgrade. Doesn't make sense from a cost of charging standpoint, does from time. Are you the guy who leaves cards on cars?

It turns out I put a deposit on mine four days before they stopped the free supercharging program, I was looking for the cost of the upgrade on the website and got to used cars, saw none had free SC, checked on it.

The permit for the Montecito Supercharger, I need to go past the site. It looks to me like the permit is done, the process order doesn't make sense to me. Permit issuance has a check.

The permit for the Montecito Supercharger, I need to go past the site. It looks to me like the permit is done, the process order doesn't make sense to me. Permit issuance has a check.
What permit are you looking at? The electrical permit that is linked up thread is still under review and definitely hasn't been either approved or issued yet. "Permit issuance" doesn't have a check (though right above it Public Works' Flood Control Plan Review does). The latest substantive update on the permit's status was from July 24th saying that plan corrections were required.

Looks like superchargers are indeed coming to the Miramar. Their permit application is in review, here's the details:

MIRAMAR ACQUISITION ELECT
1200A 3P4W ELECTRICAL SERVICE, (4) TESLA SUPERCHARGING CABINETS, (8) TESLA CHARGING STATIONS, (1) 1200A SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY AND (1) UTILITY TRANSFORMER LOCATED IN THE WEST VALET PARKING LOT OF THE ROSEWOOD MIRAMAR HOTEL

Looks like 8 stalls, correct? Any other information we can gain from the permit application details? Is this v2 or v3? I can't link directly to the permit application due to the weird website, but go here: Permit Status Lookup - Citizens Access. In the search with the green magnifying glass (the second search bar on the page), search for Tesla. The permit was submitted 6/20/19.

I took a ride by there on my bike, and I think this is the west valet lot (it's the lot at the west edge of the property labeled as staff parking).
IMG_0718.jpg