Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montecito, CA (Rosewood Miramar, LIVE 4 Sep 2021, 8 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was out for a bike ride this afternoon, and decided to see if there was anything going on at the Miramar Supercharger, and, lo and behold, I saw some things…

There’s 4 cabinets, and judging by the SC-072x2 nomenclature on the packing list, it looks like 8 urban Superchargers. Also, it looks like there’s some other cabinets that may be for another DCFC charger.

Not captured here, the dug up parking lot.

Attachments

• 0BB9AC6F-63FE-4824-8FAD-9EA407CDD3B0.jpeg
    0BB9AC6F-63FE-4824-8FAD-9EA407CDD3B0.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 133
Was out for a bike ride this afternoon, and decided to see if there was anything going on at the Miramar Supercharger, and, lo and behold, I saw some things…

There’s 4 cabinets, and judging by the SC-072x2 nomenclature on the packing list, it looks like 8 urban Superchargers. Also, it looks like there’s some other cabinets that may be for another DCFC charger.

Not captured here, the dug up parking lot.
Guess urban makes sense with the V2 cabinets and the overall setup of the site. Lower impact visually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Stopped by the Miramar this afternoon, and took a look.
Location relative to the 101
MontecitoSCMap.jpeg

Forms for the cabinet slabs are ready (note that there are 2 transformers already installed in this location. Not sure if either of these will be used by the Superchargers)
MontecitoSCCabinets.jpeg

A line of conduits
MontecitoSC.jpeg

And a mysterious cabinet labeled "Z Power Distribution". Anyone else seen one of these before?
ZPowerDistribution.jpeg

I've been to that hotel several times and am very excited about this supercharger.... it's going to be super busy.
The area on the map looks like where the employee parking is.... is this easy to access? @2TNE
You are correct. It's in the employee parking area. There are gates at the entrance of the parking lot. So they could potentially use those to keep unauthorized people out. Probably need to reach out to the hotel to find out if they will be publicly accessible.

Pre-pandemic that employee parking lot was a nightmare... they had cars parked several deep even in the aisles of the lot, and I'm assuming the valet or someone else kept the keys so employees could get cars out. Here's a satellite view which shows cars parked in the aisles. I cannot imagine a luxury resort providing the general public access to their parking lot.
download (2).jpg

When it opens, people should totally be prepared to find that this supercharger is only accessible via the hotel valet like the location at the hotel in downtown LA. And that it comes with a decent sized valet bill on top of any cost for the supercharging itself.

Reactions: goldengate
When it opens, people should totally be prepared to find that this supercharger is only accessible via the hotel valet like the location at the hotel in downtown LA. And that it comes with a decent sized valet bill on top of any cost for the supercharging itself.

Agree that's the most likely scenario... how does that work in terms of idle fees etc? I can't image a valet micromanaging charging the way a driver would... and how do they know when it's finished? Keep running to the car from the very distant valet stand?

It would be great if they add another supercharger or 3 in Santa Barbara.... I would say very much needed and there are Teslas all over the place down there.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Agree that's the most likely scenario... how does that work in terms of idle fees etc? I can't image a valet micromanaging charging the way a driver would... and how do they know when it's finished? Keep running to the car from the very distant valet stand?

It would be great if they add another supercharger or 3 in Santa Barbara.... I would say very much needed and there are Teslas all over the place down there.
I suspect (hope) that once this one is complete, the crew building it will move up the road to build out the one in the Five Points shopping center. That one will likely get immediately swamped by folks being routed over San Marcos Pass (Hwy 154) by the nav system since it will be adjacent to the offramp to the 154.

I would assume that this would be set up just like the downtown Los Angeles location like @mociaf9 pointed out. That location does not assess idle fees which is also reflected in the in car nav since it is valet only and drivers would not have access to move their cars when done charging.

Yes it's insanely expensive, though we had a wonderful dinner there at Carusos... most of the rooms don't even have water / beach views, and oh yeah an 85 MPH train roars through the center of the property every hour or so. With the Biltmore closed indefinitely, however, it's the only hotel option on the beach in Montecito. Just driving into the property to drop people off is challenging as it's so congested and tight... this is a super strange location for a supercharger and when I'm down there I hope to use one of the city options though it will be the closest to me.

Pre-pandemic that employee parking lot was a nightmare... they had cars parked several deep even in the aisles of the lot, and I'm assuming the valet or someone else kept the keys so employees could get cars out. Here's a satellite view which shows cars parked in the aisles. I cannot imagine a luxury resort providing the general public access to their parking lot.
Already ICE’d before it’s even open
BBE4440F-F407-4A87-A229-AA70A0AB5FE3.jpeg

It’s valet only right? So those cars would get moved for your car to be charged. And if you’re looking to charge there once it’s opened, make sure you have your key cards with you… I have definitely made the mistake of trying to valet at a restaurant to save a long hike from public parking only to realize it would require us to leave a phone with the valet…not happening.

Looks construction complete to me albeit waiting on a transformer on the empty pad labeled EDISON. Before taking the photos, I asked the valet guy if the chargers were on and he said "I think so?" I asked if I might be able to plug in my car and he let me know that the hotel is currently using that lot for employee parking only and he didn't have any of the icing car keys. Guess we just have to wait and see how this whole valet thing plays out.

Attachments

• 20210718_150206.jpg
    20210718_150206.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210718_150224.jpg
    20210718_150224.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210718_150236.jpg
    20210718_150236.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210718_150254.jpg
    20210718_150254.jpg