Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montgomery, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So visiting Montgomery for the 2nd time in a month for work and have always been shocked there is no Supercharger here because it's the capital but also because it seems like a good in-between spot for going to Atlanta, Birmingham & LA (Lower Alabama). However, I don't see many Tesla's driving around either but regardless it needs at least 1 Supercharger as I think Alabama is awesome, love coming here.

Just so happens my hotel is across the street from this Target and stopped by after leaving work today. Certainly looks like a section of the parking lot has very recently been blocked off that would be a perfect spot for several chargers. It has had utilities marked, cones put down and a mini excavator is on-site. Curious if this is new since @engr01 was just here this weekend. I'm here for another 7 days so will be checking it out daily but my hype meter for you guys is already at a 9 out of 10.View attachment 663301
Great find. There would be plenty of spots right there.

Screenshot_20210517-221247_Maps~2.jpg

When I head to the beach coming from Nashville I go through Troy/Dothan. So this will still work pretty well for me.
It's probably still an extra 20 for you. I'm not personally concerned about it, because I've been fortunate enough to construct a less time-intensive lifestyle, but the fact remains... an identical station downtown or in Prattville would add much more total value.

Looks like they are identifying the existing utilities.
I am optimistic that this means they are preparing to start construction. This location would come in handy for our trip through the area in September. We will be travelling from AZ to NC and Williamsburg, VA. With the bridge closure in Memphis, the southerly route is looking attractive.

You can't satisfy everybody. The Birmingham chargers are centrally located, and everybody complains because it is hard to get in and out. Seems like the trend, in our region of the country anyway, is to find a suburban shopping center with a landlord agreeable to donating the spaces. Tesla ended up delisting the Macon site and building another nearby, because the downtown location was creepy at night.

I'm happy to get a new V3 site, that Greenville will get some relief, and that skipping Auburn becomes a practical option for traffic going that way.

Reactions: PStewart
You can't satisfy everybody. The Birmingham chargers are centrally located, and everybody complains because it is hard to get in and out. Seems like the trend, in our region of the country anyway, is to find a suburban shopping center with a landlord agreeable to donating the spaces. Tesla ended up delisting the Macon site and building another nearby, because the downtown location was creepy at night.

I'm happy to get a new V3 site, that Greenville will get some relief, and that skipping Auburn becomes a practical option for traffic going that way.
Hahahaha... no arguments about that Macon site. I haven't traveled that way in a couple years so I had not realized that. Not only was it creepy, but after hours there wasn't even a viable bathroom that I could find.
Again, something in Montgomery is way better than nothing, but for the same investment, Prattville would add more value if downtown was out.
I have charged in Birmingham, no exaggeration, at least a hundred times, and what's this about it being hard to get in and out? Even with the massive ongoing construction, it's typically a deviation of 5 minutes or less for through traffic in any direction. Eastchase, by contrast, is 20 minutes, absolute best case, for the I-65 thru traffic, and the last mile is prone to godawful congestion. As you and others have mentioned, a v3 in that stretch of highway helps a lot for 65/85 traffic.. all I'm saying since my first post is, they could do so and also help the other route much more. Hopefully the continued infill will eventually do so.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Hahahaha... no arguments about that Macon site. I haven't traveled that way in a couple years so I had not realized that. Not only was it creepy, but after hours there wasn't even a viable bathroom that I could find.
Again, something in Montgomery is way better than nothing, but for the same investment, Prattville would add more value if downtown was out.
I have charged in Birmingham, no exaggeration, at least a hundred times, and what's this about it being hard to get in and out? Even with the massive ongoing construction, it's typically a deviation of 5 minutes or less for through traffic in any direction. Eastchase, by contrast, is 20 minutes, absolute best case, for the I-65 thru traffic, and the last mile is prone to godawful congestion. As you and others have mentioned, a v3 in that stretch of highway helps a lot for 65/85 traffic.. all I'm saying since my first post is, they could do so and also help the other route much more. Hopefully the continued infill will eventually do so.
I expect there will eventually be a supercharger in every direction in and out of every major town, but the sales have to warrant it first. Gotta make our fellow Alabamians start buying more Teslas.

I expect there will eventually be a supercharger in every direction in and out of every major town, but the sales have to warrant it first. Gotta make our fellow Alabamians start buying more Teslas.
If even half of the Cybertruck reservations turn into sales, supercharger use will sky rocket. Not to mention the "$25K model" Elon mentioned at battery day.
I just returned from a 3200 mile road trip. Lots of the chargers I used were very busy.
Tesla needs a lot more chargers---in AL, and everywhere

That's not what determines where SCs go in. While it helps a "little" to have local Tesla sales, it really is determined by traffic through the area and the distance to the next SC.
Closing the B'ham to Meridian MS gap with a Tuscaloosa SC would be a tremendous help for many in Alabama and those passing thru. Ditto for a Dothan SC. But of course, you know that...

Both are listed by Tesla as "2022" (which means very little) but could benefit from campaigns from local owners, local groups, and Tesla travelers.

My memory of Montgomery is that alot of people travel I-65 and 331 to get the FL panhandle. But 331 does justify a SC, as long as I-10 SC are sufficient and not overloaded

Anyone in the local area have any updates on this station’s progress? I’m going to be driving from Raleigh, NC to Austin, TX in the coming weeks and was hoping this would come online by then so I could avoid the Greenville AL Supercharger.
C3E7EEA0-9F3B-44B4-87D6-ECC9D808FA94.jpeg
I passed through Montgomery last Saturday. The initial crew is gone and nothing happening since they left. I checked last night and 5 of 6 stalls were available at the Greenville Supercharger. I plan on using it Saturday on our way back.

Reactions: CO_MY and mociaf9