Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Moose Jaw, SK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A no-update update for Moose Jaw Supercharger. However, there are 2 stations which are almost ready to roll at the Moose Jaw Petro Canada. Photos by SaskEV on Twitter
F1840C7B-FA45-434E-B36C-6D711FF829AB.jpeg
5EBD8C88-D8C8-4F60-B8E8-0BDC8DCEB2D9.jpeg
5DF748BF-BEA4-430F-AF2D-AE97065E3D0F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea how much Petro Canada will charge for fast charging? They just completed one of these two-stall stations in Canmore. I hope they won't randomly hike prices weekly like they do for other types of fuels.

I’m not sure how your Electric (hydro) rates are set in CA. But the base rate is usually very flat and not subject to market swings like Oil and Gas. The only thing that might effect the charging rate is how fast they try to recoup the ROI of equipment and installation. Once the installation is in place, it’s a bit like a solar system installation. The ROI is spread over years. They will make money much faster by the customer going into the store and purchasing convenience items.

I’m not sure how your Electric (hydro) rates are set in CA. But the base rate is usually very flat and not subject to market swings like Oil and Gas. The only thing that might effect the charging rate is how fast they try to recoup the ROI of equipment and installation. Once the installation is in place, it’s a bit like a solar system installation. The ROI is spread over years. They will make money much faster by the customer going into the store and purchasing convenience items.

With some businesses I've had involvement in Manitoba, there's also a "peak meter" rate. Some fellow was helping out his church and trying to figure out a way to ensure not all 3 electric furnaces would come on at once, that would increase the total electric bill significantly.

Plus, I imagine Tesla does not have to start paying until they go live, so why hook up and turn on until you're ready to open the floodgates across the Trans-Canada, since most of the sites are at the same place in the installation process.

Reactions: SammichLover
With some businesses I've had involvement in Manitoba, there's also a "peak meter" rate. Some fellow was helping out his church and trying to figure out a way to ensure not all 3 electric furnaces would come on at once, that would increase the total electric bill significantly.

Plus, I imagine Tesla does not have to start paying until they go live, so why hook up and turn on until you're ready to open the floodgates across the Trans-Canada, since most of the sites are at the same place in the installation process.
Past a certain size service, of which a SC with a 1000KVA transformer definitely will fall under, Saskpower also includes a peak usage meter. I have a cousin with a dairy farm, under 100 head, and her farm's service has a peak meter, too, so has a monthly set peak surcharge on her bill. My parents' farm on the other hand is pasture driven cow-calf plus organic drylands crops, so don't need nearly the same size service so have never had a peak usage meter.

The Moose Jaw and Swift Current Petro-Canada fast chargers will be undergoing final testing on the 18th and 20th of September. If you wish to volunteer yourself for testing with your car, send Petro-Canada a message through PlugShare, providing your location, car, and when you will be able to visit. Photo (Moose Jaw Petro-Canada)
3B618ED4-022D-4774-ABF6-EF72AE68B3CF.jpeg

There appears to be a spot to tap your credit card or phone or something right under the touch screen (RFID), that black square under the screen & buttons is what you'll use I assume. There seems to be no indication as to when they will start charging (pun intended) $, I'm guessing they will wait until they are all operational.

Unrelated but related.... yet again an OIL COMPANY has embarrassed Elon, first Regina, now Moose Jaw... fast DC charging is now available no thanks to Tesla (and Swift Current opening Friday plus Medicine Hat any day):

I <3 Petro Canada

View attachment 456391
Given that the stated goal of Tesla is to accelerate the adoption of clean energy, seeing other companies get on board and start to race is actually exactly the desired outcome - not an embarrassment at all! But hey, so long as people keep thinking they are "sticking it to Elon" by deploying superchargers faster than he can and creating electric cars that are better than Tesla equivalents, I am perfectly okay with that framing and I suspect Tesla is as well ;)

Given that the stated goal of Tesla is to accelerate the adoption of clean energy, seeing other companies get on board and start to race is actually exactly the desired outcome - not an embarrassment at all! But hey, so long as people keep thinking they are "sticking it to Elon" by deploying superchargers faster than he can and creating electric cars that are better than Tesla equivalents, I am perfectly okay with that framing and I suspect Tesla is as well ;)
Exactly! Tesla still deserves some credit. If they hadn't come out with the S, X and 3, other companies probably wouldn't be building long range EVs and there would be no incentive for Petro Canada to install Level 3 charging.

Also, considering nowadays how many cars pull into service stations and fill up - when the EV's predominate, there will be a need for the equivalent in charging capacity. Elon won't provide everything. The only question is - how much of the traffic to gas stations is locals filling up? Those I assume as EV's would charge up at home, but people a decent distance from home will need the service, and in a few years, 6 chargers won't be enough. At that point many locations will install chargers (any highway restaurant, for example). The upside is that chargers are cleaner, simpler, less maintenance (no trucks to refill tanks that could leak), no attendants, etc. Plus one thing I read a lot is that profits on gasoline itself are pretty low for the retailer, so presumably the markup on a tank full of electrons will probably match the amount of profit from a tank full of gas. It would cost me based on home prices about $6 ($4.50US) to fill my battery from empty. I suspect the commercial cost would include several dollars profit.