Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Doug provided some links above. Here's another one:

Tesla Supercharger network

(Note the first post was edited after the September event. But the thread was started in May 2012.)

Thanks for the link. I guess that I was so focused on getting my Model S after waiting many years that I missed the Supercharger discussion.

Anyway, I do know that I ordered my Model S before there was discussion of a Supercharger and was not aware about Superchargers until the Sept 2014 event after I too delivery. I was very happy that I had the hardware and it was already enabled...

I hope those cooling vents at the bottom of the charger are not bothered by snow. Since they're giving off heat, I suppose they would just melt the snow. But I still worry that in the spring when the snow melts, there will be dirt, salt, and debris that could block the vents.
Snow in Mountain View, CA?

- - - Updated - - -

Of course at the Model S premiere, back in March of 2009, it was announced that the Model S would have ... optional dual motors.
I don't recall this, but "close tracking" of Tesla was definitely "before my time" in 2009. Can you dig up some links and PM or post them? Thanks.

You guys have short memories, but the forum remembers all. We first saw the then new Model S TSL02 connector at the Beta event at the Factory, October of 2011. This is where Tesla first announced they'd be building a DC fast charging network.
Tesla DC charging network - Page 9

I especially like this quote from 2011:

Welcome to the future!

are you being sarcastic or do you really believe that Tesla can deploy a usable proprietary Fast Charge network across Europe?

No, snow up north here. I assume that going forward most/all SCs will be built this way. I hope so. I like the thinner, more flexible cable. But it's gotta work when it's -20F outside.
I don't think it's safe to assume that the minimal set of modifications they have done to the Mountain View SC defines the limits of what they will do at all locations.

When I reserved the S for my wife in Feb 2011 I think there was already talk about DC charging. Not 100% certain though. There certainly was wording about Supercharging when the design center went online some time early 2012. We took delivery in Dec 2012. When designing our car and finalizing the order in October 2012 we were fully aware of supercharging.

To the original poster on this, I think Elon just got the year off-by-one...

Request: next time someone goes to this location please take a photo of the writing on the cable.

Sorry, didn't get the the text on the cable. But the connector is different, the cable is definitely lighter and thinner than most superchargers I've used between SF and LA. I also noticed that is seems like the posts have fans/cooling inside them, which I have not heard/seen before. I was there before the announcement of water-cooled cables, so didn't think too much of it - other than it was a different cable/connector.

IMG_2144-sm.jpg

I was just over by there, and around 4PM the place was packed. All the stalls were in use, and there was a line of cars waiting in the driveway.
The Model S density around here makes it a popular place. I doubt it was all just people passing through the area.

Last edited:
The other day I drove from Menlo Park to Redwood Shores to Cupertino back to Redwood Shores to Sunnyvale to Menlo Park to Silver Creek (South San Jose) to Menlo Park. I'm a local but having the ability to get a quick 15 minute supercharge was the difference between all electric, all day, and having to swap cars and drive the old BMW.

I just just over by there, and around 4PM the place was packed. All the stalls were in use, and there was a line of cars waiting in the driveway.
The Model S density around here makes it a popular place. I doubt it was all just people passing through the area.

Hopefully it is just people visiting out of curiosity and things will die down. Perhaps that's why Tesla built the San Mateo station, otherwise people heading up/down 101 on a roadtrip will have significant wait time.

I suspect that many local S owners are giving in to their impulse for "free" local charging but will eventually come to realize that the time spent waiting at the SC isn't worth the few dollars saved and the congestion will ease.

Of course the number of Teslas in the area will continue to grow. Obviously Tesla is monitoring the usage and will add more Superchargers in the area over time.

I was just over by there, and around 4PM the place was packed. All the stalls were in use, and there was a line of cars waiting in the driveway.

very disappointing. Think this problem arises only during commute hours, or is it likely to be all daylight hours?

• Disagree
Reactions: Trekker_