Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Airy, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's open!

Attachments

• 40866.jpeg
    40866.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 161
Really terrible experience today at this location. Nearly completely ICEd and when I asked someone to park in an empty spot that wasn’t a supercharging spot they said “what you gone do about it?” I called Sheetz corporate and Tesla to let them know what’s going on here.

Attachments

• 0C4FA461-8708-4E64-9BC6-51F647D91ED5.jpeg
    0C4FA461-8708-4E64-9BC6-51F647D91ED5.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Informative
Reactions: Darren S
And 37% iced.

Really terrible experience today at this location. Nearly completely ICEd and when I asked someone to park in an empty spot that wasn’t a supercharging spot they said “what you gone do about it?” I called Sheetz corporate and Tesla to let them know what’s going on here.

Looks like the gray car on the left must be an employee. Its in my previous post and two other pics we have from other days.
Welcome to Make Merica great agin!

Someone else in the Tesla Owners - North Carolina facebook group just arrived there and said that the grey Pontiac is still parked there. Definitely an employee. :mad:

Boo hiss re: Employee cars ICE'ing the spots already.

FWIW, 4 am on a Sunday and they are STILL parking there. Here are their plates. Someone should report them to Sheetz HQ as I bet the Manager is probably one of these ICE'ers and they won't see what the issue is.

It would be only slightly better if they would park every other spot so at least no in tire charger number would be blocked but there are completely taking out stall 1A and 1B.

I noticed that only 1 vehicle is properly in the "Sheetz Employee parking" spots near the front entrance so I'm not sure why the Employees who are ICE'ing supercharger spots are not using the Employee parking. That photo is the last one with only one pickup truck in the 8 or so parking spaces.

IMG_20190623_041309-691x518.jpg

IMG_20190623_040919-691x518.jpg

IMG_20190623_040913-691x518.jpg

IMG_20190623_040906-691x518.jpg

IMG_20190623_042607-691x518.jpg

Last edited:
Boo hiss re: Employee cars ICE'ing the spots already.

FWIW, 4 am on a Sunday and they are STILL parking there. Here are their plates. Someone should report them to Sheetz HQ as I bet the Manager is probably one of these ICE'ers and they won't see what the issue is.

It would be only slightly better if they would park every other spot so at least no in tire charger number would be blocked but there are completely taking out stall 1A and 1B.

I noticed that only 1 vehicle is properly in the "Sheetz Employee parking" spots near the front entrance so I'm not sure why the Employees who are ICE'ing supercharger spots are not using the Employee parking. That photo is the last one with only one pickup truck in the 8 or so parking spaces.

What about the security services? Is there any bylaw these guys might be violating?

What about the security services? Is there any bylaw these guys might be violating?

They are in the spots labeled as "Tesla Vehicle Charging Only" rather than the "10 minute General Parking" (or 30 or 60 minute) spots. It's just rude of them to take up spots meant for someone else when they have their own Reserved parking spot.

Maybe Elon can charge that Sheetz an "Idle" fee of $1 per minute per Employee vehicle that does this. :D

IMG_20190623_042651-691x518.jpg

IMG_20190623_042703-691x518.jpg

IMG_20190623_042713-691x518.jpg

Mt Airy, NC

Along Primary Interstates: I-74
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-52, US-601
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-74:
To: NC41 at Lumberton, NC (End) - 192.6 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles*

To: Greensboro, NC (I-74, I-40B, I-40) - 57.8 miles

A hole-filler, improving some spacing that allows for a more flexible selection of Superchargers. It improves spacing for I-77/I-40 between Mt Hope, WV and Greensboro, NC.

Also the first Supercharger on US-601.

* Not really that much. Mapbox, now used by Supercharge.info just doesn't understand intersections so adds extra distance.
** I-74 doesn't actually exist between Cincinnati, OH and North Carolina, and nor does I-73, but the plan would be to have I-73 and I-74 concurrent following US-52 through West Virginia to meet I-77, so Wytheville, VA would be on it.

Stopped by this past weekend. I'm so happy about this new location as it's perfect for our trips to the VA mountains. Previously we were having to route through Wytheville when returning which is out of the way.

One ICE'er while we were there, but he stayed in the car the whole time. We were the only Tesla there. Also, for the first time we got up to 125 KW while charging our 75D. Nice to see after being stuck at 98-ish KW for so long.

IMG_6490.jpeg

Stopped here twice on a trip this past weekend. No problems at all. On Thursday evening there was one ICE vehicle, but to be fair, that part of the parking lot was full, and she did park in one of the spots that allowed brief general parking. She went in, bought whatever she was after and came back out and moved. No problem whatsoever. And it's not like there weren't plenty of stalls open had someone come in and needed a charge.

On the way back through on Sunday we felt like a bit more than Sheetz for dinner, so further up the street where there were plenty of dining options. We chose Ruby Tuesday. Came back for a quick charge (only needed about 6 minutes worth to make it back to Durham), bathroom and grab drinks for the road. Very nice stop, and I think the location of the chargers in the back of the store would generally deter ICEing (which is why it was surprising to see the pictures posted above).

Reactions: kavyboy
<snip> Very nice stop, and I think the location of the chargers in the back of the store would generally deter ICEing (which is why it was surprising to see the pictures posted above).

OR, the employees who owned those cars were advised NOT to park for several hours in reserved / dedicated Tesla supercharging aka fueling spots and have since decided to park elsewhere. It would be interesting if someone can spot any of those repeat offenders up in the proper Employee Parking section by the front of the store and confirm they are no longer ICE'ing any supercharger spots..