Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA - 134 Morgan Way (LIVE 04 Jan 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t recall if that would block an entry/exit to that lot or not. If not, it would be pretty solid. That said, lots of space in the lot to unhitch and park the camper while charging too.
When I looked on 11/25, it was not blocking an exit or anything critical, which made me happy for the trailer folks.
I see the utility transformer pad is still empty. Sigh.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
Perfect! I love this location for charging... it's always a good idea to take the short walk to Berryvale Grocery/Deli for a snack. Tesla is really investing heavily into Supercharger expansion, now if we could just get some of those Model 3s on the road to use them!

Home

• Helpful
Reactions: ecrsail
I saw this too. What is going on? Are there going to be 2 Mt. Shasta locations? Will they remove the old chargers?
IMG_7155.JPG
IMG_7157.JPG

Are there going to be 2 Mt. Shasta locations? Will they remove the old chargers?
I doubt the old chargers will be removed. That seems pointless, and I’m sure that the Best Western Tree House motel/restaurant wants the business those chargers bring in.

It appears to me that there will be two Supercharger locations in Mt Shasta, though they are only about a one minute walk apart. I don’t know for sure yet how the Tesla nav will identify them but considering the navigation directions to drive to them will be slightly different I expect them to have different names to avoid confusion. We shall see...

Reactions: ecrsail
I am sure that both Tesla and the Tree House motel would have preferred to expand this location adjacent to the existing SC in the motel parking lot. ***Speculation on my part.***

That motel has been packed on the couple of occasions when I spent the night. Perhaps the motel feared losing/pissing off ICE customers if there were 12 or so additional reserved spots for charging Teslas and they were vacant much of the time. And face it, Tesla's small signage denoting exclusive or shared use of a Supercharge stall is not the best.

There are also laws about the number of parking places a place must have vs the capacity of the place. There comes a point where Tesla parking cuts into the spaces the hotel needs to make available for other people. It may be 8 was all they could spare. Power available on the hotel's property may have limited how many superchargers could be there too.

The parking lot across the street does make sense. It is vastly under utilized and having a supercharger there might encourage someone to re-open the restaurant.

Some supercharger expansions are on the same site and others are near by. It probably varies because some locations just aren't up to expanding much more than they currently are.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Note that these 16 new Superchargers have the letters Tesla lit up in red. The Tree house also has the newer Superchargers lit up. I believe they may be 135 kW chargers but not positive. My car charges at around 110 kW now.
The newer location has plenty of space and two entrances, one is off the main road with stoplight going to the Cinema and the second is on the road next to the Tree House where you will find Semis parked and Rays Market entrance.
I think this will be a better location as the Tree House is very busy with fewer spaces to park but since they put in newer ones they will probably stay.
22 Superchargers is impressive.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
There are also laws about the number of parking places a place must have vs the capacity of the place. There comes a point where Tesla parking cuts into the spaces the hotel needs to make available for other people. It may be 8 was all they could spare. Power available on the hotel's property may have limited how many superchargers could be there too.

The parking lot across the street does make sense. It is vastly under utilized and having a supercharger there might encourage someone to re-open the restaurant.

Some supercharger expansions are on the same site and others are near by. It probably varies because some locations just aren't up to expanding much more than they currently are.

A similar scenario is brewing at the Redondo Beach location. Once a dirt lot that just happened to be at the intersection of the 405 and the terminus of the Green Line (light rail) as well as quite near LAX and the aerospace corridor, now the SC (8 stalls) is at the front end of 3 hotels and parking is getting tight (now with all 3 hotels open, a manager said they’re down to 1 space per... guest or room - I forget what they said, but in any case they’re out of space).

Fortunately, there’s a smaller dirt lot adjacent and some other parking lots nearby. There’s nothing that says Tesla has to expand there (other than it’s a very popular location), but there’s certainly ample power available if they choose to shoehorn in another 12 SCs or so within a block or so.

Are we assuming that the two portable Superchargers currently at Mt. Shasta City will remain once the sixteen new ones are commissioned and available for use?
I am not assuming that. The portable Superchargers are moved to where they are needed most. Once the new stalls are open there is no reason for the portable stalls to remain at this site.

I am not assuming that. The portable Superchargers are moved to where they are needed most. Once the new stalls are open there is no reason for the portable stalls to remain at this site.

Hence my question of 22 total stalls. The hotel has four permanent ones, and Tesla is adding sixteen across the street for a total of twenty, not twenty-two. I thought I made myself clear that I was challenging the presumption of twenty-two spots total once the new site was up and running.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Hence my question of 22 total stalls. The hotel has four permanent ones, and Tesla is adding sixteen across the street for a total of twenty, not twenty-two. I thought I made myself clear that I was challenging the presumption of twenty-two spots total once the new site was up and running.
My apologies if I misunderstood you. My recent posts were not about the total number of stalls, only that the currently temp chargers at this location will not be left there long term.

Moderator note: Some of the next few posts were merged from a similar thread in a different sub-forum.

Stopped in at the existing Super Charger station in the Best Western parking lot, and was shocked to see 16 additional chargers installed in the parking lot of the adjacent shopping center. I knew they were adding another station here, but 16 chargers....Awesome! Total 21 charging stations in Mt. Shasta.
Mt shasta chargers.jpg
Mt shasta chargers.jpg
Mt shasta chargers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: