Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA - 134 Morgan Way (LIVE 04 Jan 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Load balancing in action:)
Trip planner suggested to charge 10 min at new charger and then 20 min at the old one:
IMG_20180903_180456.jpg

I was in Mt. Shasta this past weekend, and the nav guided me to the 4 stall location. I walked across the street and noticed the 16 stall site and was quite surprised. Hopefully the nav will be updated to show both sites. Next time I'll remember to go across the street.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I was in Mt. Shasta this past weekend, and the nav guided me to the 4 stall location. I walked across the street and noticed the 16 stall site and was quite surprised. Hopefully the nav will be updated to show both sites. Next time I'll remember to go across the street.
If you look on the NAV map it does show up but they are so close together you need to enlarge to go there.

As @MSMike noted, both locations are shown in the car nav. I am also surprised that the car nav directed you to the older, and much smaller location. Are you certain that the nav told you to turn right when you were on Morgan Way, as opposed to left? The two Supercharger addresses are both on Morgan Way. One is street number 111, the other is number 134.

• Informative
As @MSMike noted, both locations are shown in the car nav. I am also surprised that the car nav directed you to the older, and much smaller location. Are you certain that the nav told you to turn right when you were on Morgan Way, as opposed to left? The two Supercharger addresses are both on Morgan Way. One is street number 111, the other is number 134.

Yes, I remember the nav directing me to turn right. Just a few minutes after I pulled in, I saw another S pulling in there, assuming the nav guided them to that location also. I didnt see anyone charging at the one on the left. This was on a late Monday morning, so probably not the busiest time.

Someone should test this theory by arriving at the Supercharger locations from the east, not off Interstate 5. It is easy to exit Interstate 5 southbound at the first Mt. Shasta City exit. This road is old US99 and routes east of the freeway along a country road for a couple miles before entering downtown. Then, a right at the police station (Lake St.) will take you down the hill and across the SP tracks.

Or, heading north, exit Interstate 5 at the SR89 east exit towards McCloud. Then head north on (I think) Mt. Shasta Boulevard to enter the city from the south and make your way onto Lake St.

Next time I travel this way, I have to remember to set up the GPS & look for:
Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA - 134 Morgan Way
Next time you travel to Mt Shasta, bring up that area in the car nav map, tap on the icon for that Supercharger (right next to the first Mt Shasta Supercharger) and tap “Navigate to” and the car will show you the route. No need to use another device.

Next time you travel to Mt Shasta, bring up that area in the car nav map, tap on the icon for that Supercharger (right next to the first Mt Shasta Supercharger) and tap “Navigate to” and the car will show you the route. No need to use another device.

I think this was said before but - You would hope the Tesla nav is programmed to allocate cars between the two stations to avoid paired useage.

I think this was said before but - You would hope the Tesla nav is programmed to allocate cars between the two stations to avoid paired useage.
Tesla nav does not appear to be capable of “allocating” cars between the two Mt Shasta Superchargers. If you arrive at one of those locations and it is full, go to the other location. Though clearly the newer location is far less likely to be busy than the older location which has only 4 stalls.

And the car nav definitely has no capability at this time to direct drivers to a specific Supercharger pedestal. Which would be a fine topic for a separate thread in a different forum. :cool:

Reactions: McManX
Empty here yesterday while the location next door had a full house.
It would probably be better for Tesla to rename the Shasta superchargers as "Mt. Shasta #1" and "Mt. Shasta #2" instead of using the address. If someone sees either "#1" or "#2" in the name their automatic thought will be to wonder where the other location is and how full it is. That might help to even out the usage a bit. Either that or get their navigation software to more intelligently and evenly distribute users to both locations.

Reactions: ohmman
One more note about this recent visit. As we pulled out of Shasta and made a left to approach the I-5 on-ramp, another motorist informed us that one of my camper taillights was not operating. My wife was driving, and she pulled off in a gravel area in the on-ramp so I could check before we entered the highway. It was just a slightly loose 7-pin connection at the LED adapter, and when I went back to check on the taillights, California Highway Patrol pulled in behind me.

I explained to the officer what I was doing, and he seemed relatively disinterested and instead started asking me about how towing was going with the Tesla. We talked about range, and I expressed my feelings about the 90 packs being less than optimal in the Tesla collection, especially when towing. He told me he agreed, as he also had an X that he uses to tow a boat to Shasta Lake! He said he has difficulty making the round trip from Mt. Shasta City to the lake and back up the hill with the boat. We agreed it's probably due to the lack of aerodynamics with the boat. My wife was a little concerned watching the 10-15 minute exchange with the CHP in the trailer rear view camera. :)

One more note about this recent visit. As we pulled out of Shasta and made a left to approach the I-5 on-ramp, another motorist informed us that one of my camper taillights was not operating. My wife was driving, and she pulled off in a gravel area in the on-ramp so I could check before we entered the highway. It was just a slightly loose 7-pin connection at the LED adapter, and when I went back to check on the taillights, California Highway Patrol pulled in behind me.

I explained to the officer what I was doing, and he seemed relatively disinterested and instead started asking me about how towing was going with the Tesla. We talked about range, and I expressed my feelings about the 90 packs being less than optimal in the Tesla collection, especially when towing. He told me he agreed, as he also had an X that he uses to tow a boat to Shasta Lake! He said he has difficulty making the round trip from Mt. Shasta City to the lake and back up the hill with the boat. We agreed it's probably due to the lack of aerodynamics with the boat. My wife was a little concerned watching the 10-15 minute exchange with the CHP in the trailer rear view camera. :)

That's one for the Tesla Moments thread.

Probably the same officer that followed me all the way downhill from Mt. Shasta City to Vollmers (~the dividing line between the Mt. Shasta and Redding offices) one Sunday morning three years ago around 8:30. Zero traffic. I had cruise control set to 63 and he followed variously behind me or in my blind spot. I just waved and grinned at him as he finally passed me to exit at Vollmers. Never know what a bored cop is going to do!