Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Back in the 80s there were tolls.

Is there something that prevents the construction of service plazas on interstate highways which never had tolls if they can self sustain via rental income like any other business?

Yes, political pushback from existing businesses that want people to exit the highway to use their services. I don't know the history but Breezewood, PA is my favorite example where drivers on I-70 are taken through a 1/2 mile of gas stations and fast food joints before the can get onto the PA Turnpike.

Agreed. Back in the 80s there were tolls.

Is there something that prevents the construction of service plazas on interstate highways which never had tolls if they can self sustain via rental income like any other business?

A really big if. If you have malls close to the Interstate then the benefit of rest areas is diminished. GPS and the Internet have also made it much easier to discover and navigate from the Interstate to local restaurants if you're looking for somewhere to eat.

Rest areas make sense where you have a lot of through-traffic, where simply have facilities near exits would cause congestion issues.

Yes, political pushback from existing businesses that want people to exit the highway to use their services.

Very good point. We had a similar issue in the 80s in Connecticut with GFox (before becoming Filenes.) The 84 to 91 interchange in Hartford required that you exit in the city so that you passed by the GFox building before going back on the highway if you were changing from 84 to 91. This caused a ridiculous traffic nightmare and in the early 90s a flyover bridge was built that allowed travelers to go from 84 to 91 without driving through downtown Hartford. A similar situation still exists on Rte 7 between 95 and 84 in CT. Traffic nightmare persists there as well.

I have not stopped since November.

I did find the following description in the NJ Turnpike Authority September 2014 minutes located at: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/2014-09-23_BM_AIN_339_thru_374.pdf

(NJTA Board Meeting-09/23/2014)
373-09-2014
In a memorandum dated September 12, 2014, a Recommendation to enter into a
License Agreement with Tesla Motors. Inc.. to permit the installation of four (4) electric
vehicle charging stations at both the Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer Service Areas
located on the New Jersey Turnpike, was approved.
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority ("Authority") owns services areas on its property
along the New Jersey Turnpike ("Turnpike") and Garden State Parkway ("Parkway"). In recent
years, bills have been introduced by the Legislature directing the Authority to install electric
vehicle charging stations at its service areas. None of the bills have become law, but the
Authority has been considering how to address the evolving electric vehicle market.
Last year, Tesla Motors, Inc. ("Tesla"), which manufactures electric vehicles, approached
the Authority about installing electric vehicle charging stations at two (2) service areas along the
Turnpike. The Authority and Tesla have identified four (4) parking spaces located in the parking
area at the Molly Pitcher Service Area, which is located at milepost 71.7 southbound side on the
Turnpike, and four (4) parking spaces in the Joyce Kilmer Service Area, which is located at
milepost 78.7 on the northbound side of the Turnpike, as suitable locations for the installation of
electric vehicle charging stations.
Tesla has requested to license from the Authority the above spaces for an initial term of
seven (7) years, with an option, exercised at the Authority's discretion, for an additional three (3)
years. Tesla, which does not charge its customers for the use of the charging stations, would be
responsible for the full cost of the installation, maintenance, and utilities related to the charging
stations. As part of the installation of its charging stations, Tesla would also install all necessary
cabling and equipment to allow electric service to be brought to the Turnpike service areas not
only to enable the Tesla charging stations but also to provide electric service to an area abutting
the Tesla locations that would be suitable for the installation of alternative electric vehicle
charging station.
Authorization is respectfully requested to delegate to the Executive Director the authority
to enter into a License Agreement with Tesla based on the parameters set forth above. It is
further recommended that the Commissioners authorize the Executive Director to execute any
other documents and take any or all actions deemed necessary to effectuate the intent of this
authorization.
On motion by Treasurer DuPont and seconded by Commissioner Pocino, the Authority
unanimously approved of item numbers 373-09-2014; and authorized or ratified, as presented,
the recommendations contained therein; and received and filed the memoranda

Have'nt heard anything about this but they were doing work at the MENLO PARK MALL SITE a few weeks ago with panels off...................seems frivolous to duplicate the MPM site with the NJT exits being only less than 3 mi away off exit 11 or 10 depending how you travel..................................

Besides the STATE would want a piece of the action

Very good news. Although this is near the Menlo Park SC site, I like the added convenience of not having to exit the turnpike. These EZ-off EZ-on sites make it easier to do the math of whether it's worth spending the extra time (caused by the charge tapering) at Supercharger #1 to get enough charge to leapfrog over to Supercharger #3, or to just use the bottom of the battery and go sequentially #1-#2-#3.

(I'm planning a trip from Portland ME to Durham NC, and the time to get to/from the Supercharger turns out to be a fairly important factor in optimizing the charging choices.)

I note the article states that four (4) stalls will be installed, and that Tesla "also will wire the charging stations in case other manufacturers of electric cars decide to install charging stations". Does this mean Tesla will just install conduit under the ground for use by other chargers, or will they actually run electrical wires for those chargers to be used by other cars? I hope that the sites include the ability to expand beyond four (4) stalls when the need arises.