Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if that's a regularly scheduled event or cruise-in that just happenes to occur in that corner every month?

Hopefully it's nothing malicious.

Yes. They seem to meet in the parking lot to talk 'pocket rocket' cars. They appear to like the better lighting that the SC has to 'talk shop' and check out each other' s rides. I do not believe it is malicious at all.

image.jpeg

Goodbye old friends.

As I type this they are removing the old 4 stall equipment
Called it...

scaesare said:
I'd bet on the existing superchargers being decommissioned... bad location, older design, and I'd bet power availability at the site might be an issue too.

scaesare said:
Somehow I don't imagine them uprooting, and then re-installing older gen equipment. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's worth their effort.

What I'd guess is that the new pedestals represents an expansion of 8 additional stalls, taking the site from 4 stalls to 12. If they were targeting 16, I'd bet they'd be all new crates, and in either case they'd be carting the old gear away.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
This would be a 'grassroots' ribbon cutting - no Tesla involvement (other than providing the Superchargers!)

Here are the construction photos taken yesterday:

2T0A5526-X2.jpg

Great photos John. Thanks for posting them. This is a huge improvement and good for the Tesla brand.

Never seen the Tesla logos painted in the parking spaces before but maybe that''s just because I didn't notice.

Rick

I was at the Newark superchargers late Friday afternoon and nearly all spaces were occupied. Today, around noon, I came back to the site and there was only one or two other cars there. And, the workmen were busy hosing down the stalls. They look beautiful.

As far as the numbering of stalls, I do not get the disdain that some have with the A/B numbering system. It is so simple. For the most part, don't park next to another car or simply look at the charger and don't use a numbered charger if someone else is using the same number. All this talk of color coding, blah, blah, is IMHO, silly. Not to mention what do you do for those, like me, that are color blind.

Reactions: AnOutsider
I was at the Newark superchargers late Friday afternoon and nearly all spaces were occupied. Today, around noon, I came back to the site and there was only one or two other cars there. And, the workmen were busy hosing down the stalls. They look beautiful.

As far as the numbering of stalls, I do not get the disdain that some have with the A/B numbering system. It is so simple. For the most part, don't park next to another car or simply look at the charger and don't use a numbered charger if someone else is using the same number. All this talk of color coding, blah, blah, is IMHO, silly. Not to mention what do you do for those, like me, that are color blind.

First, different SC locations have two different numbering schemes, so just because someone is parked next to 1B, doesn't mean that they are on 1A. Since the stall numbers are small and on the bottom, you can't actually tell what their stall number is unless you park and go look on foot.
Second, I've suggested colors as well as LARGE numbers on the TOP of the SC stalls. This simple change would solve all the problems.
Third, I've run into more people than not that have no clue about the pairing, and trying to explain the A/B system I just get a glazed over look. At one SC, an owner tried to convince me that the stalls are on A bank and B bank, and as long as you are on a different bank than another car, you're fine. This obviously is totally wrong. The simple and easy solution to this very common problem is (1) eliminate the A/B lettering scheme, and (2) BETTER label the stalls with color and/or numbers at the TOP of the pedestals.

Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it's easy for everyone else. In fact, most of the owners I run across don't have a clue about it.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Viewing the Newark Supercharger in real time:

1. Delaware Department of Transportation - Live Traffic
2. Select the traffic cam icon.
3. Select the camera on the map where I-95 splits into Southbound/Northbound paths.

You will have 60 seconds of viewing.

Here's an example from a few minutes ago. Notice the spot being ICE'd!!! They left a few minutes later.

View attachment 168641

But this is distressing! Looks like someone is having a rally without us.
View attachment 168646

Delanman --

I went to that camera and apparently they have re-positioned it, as it no longer shows the Tesla SCs.

Stopped by last night on my way home to charge. Based on traffic in general, I figured the SCs would be full! Not at all. There were no cones there (The ones from Saturday seemed haphazardly placed). There was only one other Tesla there, which was parked perpendicular to the stalls.

I took 1A and got out and talked to the other guy charging. I made a comment like, "They sure don't give you much slack, do they?" And he laughed. He said he was hoping to watch me pull in and have problems like he was having! Apparently, it was his friend's Tesla and he never charged it before. I walked him through it and we talked for a bit. He really loved the car, and (unfortunately for his wallet) it sounds like he's now hooked as well!

Another car pulled in while we were chatting. I ran to the service plaza and came back; the perpendicular Tesla was gone but another car arrived. At most we had 5 cars there. This was around 8pm last night. Love the new location! Great job, Tesla!

PS - with 13 miles left arriving at the SC, I saw 363V and 324A. Went from 13 miles to 194 in 45 minutes. This was my first SC charge while using TeslaLog - was surprised to look at the graph and see how early the SC starts cutting back on power - once I hit 25% SOC, it starting backing down.

Last edited:
Viewing the Newark Supercharger in real time:

1. Delaware Department of Transportation - Live Traffic
2. Select the traffic cam icon.
3. Select the camera on the map where I-95 splits into Southbound/Northbound paths.

You will have 60 seconds of viewing.

Here's an example from a few minutes ago. Notice the spot being ICE'd!!! They left a few minutes later.

View attachment 168641

But this is distressing! Looks like someone is having a rally without us.
View attachment 168646

Hey, that's pretty cool. Can you pull it up on the in-car browser?