Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newnan GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mociaf9 & @MBSinNC

So, you guys are saying even though I had the supercharger set as the destination, and the car decided on its own when to start preconditioning, that it still wasn’t actually preconditioned? How can I control that?

Also: doesn’t charging itself create heat, ie, warm the battery up? In that case, wouldn’t I expect the charge rate to increase initially, until the ideal temp was achieved?

@mociaf9 & @MBSinNC

So, you guys are saying even though I had the supercharger set as the destination, and the car decided on its own when to start preconditioning, that it still wasn’t actually preconditioned? How can I control that?

Also: doesn’t charging itself create heat, ie, warm the battery up? In that case, wouldn’t I expect the charge rate to increase initially, until the ideal temp was achieved?
The car will properly precondition given enough time. If you're only 5-10 miles away from the supercharger, the car might not have enough time to properly precondition.
Yes, charging generates heat but the battery pack is a large mass. It takes time (sometimes a lot of time) to heat up for faster charging. So you will initially see a slow charging rate which gradually increases as the battery heats up.
Edit: Charging rate slows as the battery "fills up" so this complicates the equation.

Yes. Preconditioning will help some to achieve a higher charging rate, but in cold or cool weather it usually isn't sufficient on its own to get the battery into a state where it can take the max rate of V3 superchargers. And you can't do anything else to help besides intentionally driving the car hard to generate extra heating. The point is that this is all a modest advantage, not some magic bullet that will guarantee you anything like 250 kW.
Yes, the charging will heat up the battery. And that is a big part of why, unless it's quite warm outside, it's usually the second and subsequent supercharging session/s on a trip where you start to get the max rates. It's because you've heated up the battery and usually been driving at high speeds so it doesn't cool off that much. My intuition is that it doesn't affect the charging curve of the initial session, though. But I may be wrong about that.

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
The car will properly precondition given enough time. If you're only 5-10 miles away from the supercharger, the car might not have enough time to properly precondition.

Agreed with your larger point. In this case, though, I was 30+ miles away, and was driving in excess of 20 minutes at highway speeds before the car started preconditioning. If there's "not enough time" to properly condition, that's one thing--but, in this case, the car didn't even try until 5 or 10 minutes prior to arrival. Curious....

Just as an update. I used the Newnan location again last night, only driving about 40 miles ahead of time (it preconditioned that whole time). I went from 13% to 90% in 30 minutes with a max speed of 250kW, but the max speed didn't last that long this time. Below is the charging profile the charger gave me this time:
1616621460378.png

Reactions: Big Earl and byeLT4
Sorry, the attachments are below. Newnan Ga SC
State of charge makes a huge difference. You will only get full power at a very low state of charge. Once you get above 50% it's not uncommon for a taper off to less than 150kW. In my car I see a sharp knee of sorts at about 40% state of charge where the charge rate falls. 109kW at what appears to be just over 50% in your second charge is a tad low, but not too off the mark. On a recent charge of mine I hit 110kW at about 60% state of charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
Currently not working. Noticed a few of the newer v3 chargers are randomly down—or half the stalls are unpowered. Not sure what’s going on but this is the second time this week in the metro atl area a supercharger was randomly down for a few hours.

Hmm this is appearing as 11 stalls on the app. I was able to find screenshots of 12 different stall numbers (1A-1D, 2A-2D, 3A-3D) but is Tesla now changing the shown total stalls number based on the whether they're up or down or something?

Attachments

• signal-2021-06-16-165359.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-16-165359.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 49
This supercharger has been working well, but today we tried charging on stalls 2C and 2D and they appeared to have no power (button didn’t respond when vehicle was unlocked, charge port showed no colors when plugged in, vehicle said “Ready to charge”). Someone was plugged into stall 2B but they weren’t in their car; hopefully they got a charge at least… Stall 1D worked fine for me though.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4