Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newton, MA (RT-128 SB service plaza)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing happening here yet. The contractor doing the non-Tesla L3 charging at the Lexington N.B. rest stop just wrapped up there - thinking they might swing by here next. When they do start, we'll need to watch for supercharger-specific construction as it's possible this contractor may just be doing non-Tesla L3 charging at this site. They may not have the contract to do the supercharger itself.

Reactions: kayak1
Still no Tesla supercharger specific permit pulled for the Newton rest stop, and last check the non-Tesla DC fast charger work had not yet begun in Newton either. The contractor on the hook for the Newton work finished up similar work in Lexington a month or more ago now.

The push to Q3 occurred along with a few other Q2 sites not yet or just recently underway. Tyngsborough and East Templeton, MA and New Haven CT for example. And some Q3's moved to Q4. Interestingly, no new locations showed up on the map (yet) - which is interesting. An example would be Richmond, RI which on last report is actually completed, pending a transformer install - and of course the growing list of new Neon Marketplace locations in RI and most recently Worcester, MA that don't yet show up as a coming soon pin on the map.

• Informative
Keep an eye on Newton for construction starting soon. The contractor doing the Burlington, MA supercharger shared that they were doing Newton next. That said, he wasn't sure *where* in Newton the job was so I guess the door is open for an as yet undisclosed location in Newton getting a supercharger and not this location.

I've been up and down 128 since I was a little kid in the late 1960s and I've watched both the Newton and Lexington rest areas get ever busier. MA DoT really should see how they can reconfigure and expand these areas as best they can. Newton has trucks parking in the dirt. Lexington has trucks often parked on the shoulder of the ramp just north of the rest area. Both areas look like they still have some available land in the rear. MA DoT should figure out what they are doing with that blocked off parking lot on the south end of the Lexington rest area, rebuild it, and open it up. Newton also seems to have some land behind the buildings, backing up to Quinobequin Road in the rear. MA DoT could also relocate the Newton rest area's departure ramp and merge it with the ramp coming off Quinobequin Road so as to afford more acceleration room exiting the rest area. (Not everyone drives a fast EV :) ) The bridge carrying Rt. 16 over 128/95 is really tired and looks to be near replacement time. It would be great if they could lengthen the overpass by a lane-width underneath so that the rest area and the Rt. 16 to 95 ramps could be combined (and squeezed underneath the bridge) like the 2A/Lexington ramps are combined, though that all would take some serious $$ for sure.

I checked the service plaza last night and didn't see any construction or equipment.
Rumor has it that this site was (and may still be) stuck waiting for paperwork before it can move forward... and I'm not talking building permits. :( The contractor that was going to be doing Newton "soon" will now almost certainly be doing Gloucester first (probably digsafe and then construction - hopefully starting in the next week or two assuming their crew is available).

Rumor has it that this site was (and may still be) stuck waiting for paperwork before it can move forward... and I'm not talking building permits. :( The contractor that was going to be doing Newton "soon" will now almost certainly be doing Gloucester first (probably digsafe and then construction - hopefully starting in the next week or two assuming their crew is available).
It sounds like Gloucester is progressing well, hopefully someone will find a permit soon.

It sounds like Gloucester is progressing well, hopefully someone will find a permit soon.
Checking daily 🤓

I believe the reason Gloucester proceeded ahead of Newton (same company doing both) is that there is a holdup with the lease for the supercharger location in Newton. It's state property - how hard could it be to get a permit from the state I wonder :rolleyes: :(. There is a permit open for this location for non-Tesla L3 charger preparation for the location that was originally thought to be the Tesla permit. That permit is held by the same company that did the non-Tesla L3 charger work for the Lexington rest stop some months ago that's sitting there patiently waiting for the charging pedestal to arrive. Perhaps permits are needed for the actual L3 charger install that are delayed for Lexington too.

There may be another complication on the Newton site beyond lease negotiations. Apparently the DCFC work permitted last year for the Newton rest stop (permit EL-21-2440) has been on hold awaiting funding from Eversource. If Tesla is dependent on completion of that work to bring services to the supercharger location, then it probably wouldn't make sense to start the project until utility service was secured. I suspect this is the case, since the Lexington rest stop project had similar permitting.

• Informative
It's Tesla alright. Couldn't be thorough but there's lots of trenching going on, some conduit in place and at least one pad. Picture from last night.

PXL_20220906_224928342.jpg

Note: still haven't seen a Tesla specific electrical permit pulled for the work. There is a 2021 electrical permit for the "Eversource make ready for electric vehicle charging stations". Originally the contractor (Maverick) stated they didn't know anything about Tesla being included when I reached out - but that was quite some time ago now. It's also my understanding the civil work can start before an electrical permit is been pulled. I'm checking for that permit multiple times per day :)

Also, there could (should) be two different contractors involved here. Maverick doing the non-Tesla DCFC installation and NEECC most likely doing the Tesla Supercharger (they did Burlington and Gloucester).