Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just left the Janaf Super Charger ... the lights being on means it is working. Hope i don't get put on a list .... :) Just pluged in to see if it works ... no signs anywhere not to use it ..... really nice shade tree ... needs a picnic table ... :)
Tesla-SC -01.jpg
Tesla-SC -02.jpg
Tesla-SC -03.jpg
Tesla-SC -04.jpg

This is great news!! Makes the run from NNJ to the OBX along the eastern shore without worrying about how much energy full heat or A/C will do to range. Planning to stop by the Grand Opening on way home, unfortunately in an ICE mobile. But at least I have a Tesla T-shirt with me!

My father was there less than an hour ago, he said the site is shut down and there are news crews and detectives in the area. He said it was pretty chaotic (not surprising...) Terrible news for everyone in every way. ;-(

He was on his last leg of driving my car back on a california-to-north carolina cross country trip, and now doesn't have enough range to get to Plymouth. I think the nearby Nissan people are trying to help, which is awfully nice of them.

My father was there less than an hour ago, he said the site is shut down and there are news crews and detectives in the area. He said it was pretty chaotic (not surprising...) Terrible news for everyone in every way. ;-(

He was on his last leg of driving my car back on a california-to-north carolina cross country trip, and now doesn't have enough range to get to Plymouth. I think the nearby Nissan people are trying to help, which is awfully nice of them.

Does he have a CHAdeMO connector? (Scopes Arena parking garage has a charger)

According to this article, Tesla has confirmed it was an accident:

A Tesla spokesperson told WAVY.com, “During the installation process at our new Supercharger station in Norfolk, there was an accident involving an electrical contractor.”

http://wavy.com/2015/08/18/police-investigating-possible-electrocution-at-shopping-center/

Very sad this happened, but very likely was mistake by the contractor that led to the accident and not a malfunction of any equipment.

I haven't heard yet if the ribbon cutting is still on for tomorrow. I'm wondering if Tesla will email those who RSVPed about the incident.

According to this article, Tesla has announced they will postpone the ribbon cutting ceremony. I think that is clearly the right thing to do, since any news stories would focus on the accident anyhow and it would seem a disrespectful to have a party on site the next day.

Often there is some final work after these sites go live for people to complete. I have no specific information on this site, but utility workers operate and do maintenance on live systems all the time. I suppose sadly that it's worth repeating that virtually any electrical installation (residential, commercial, industrial) has more than enough current to kill someone who closes the wrong circuit. I'm sure eventually we (or maybe not "we the public" but "we in general") will know what happened here.

But I guess my point is that the station being operational or not doesn't really change the risk profile here - like working an oil rig or flying an airplane or lots of other things, if you don't follow the established safety procedures you can get into deep trouble. ;-(

How horrible indeed. I don't understand what he would have been doing there that would be dangerous if the station was already operational.
What a tragedy...