Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLA official map still shows that Norfolk SC IS NOT ONLINE. We ended up charging @ HALL NISSAN dealer with their ChaDemo fast charger. GREAT place and people happy to give you access to their facilities I reccommend until SC online. We are driving back home to Montreal. thank you Virginia Beach for your hospitality

Additional word of note: The Supercharger is not in the car's database of Superchargers yet either.

- - - Updated - - -

The ceremony is on the 19th (week from today). I'm guessing that's when it'll be open (even though the email says otherwise).

In the past most Superchargers I've seen have come online and have been used at least a few days before the ribbon cutting.

I wonder if Tesla now adds the SC to the map database as soon as it goes online. It used to take a little while to show up in that list.

I am glad I had not seen the posts here this morning of the Tesla email, otherwise I probably would have attempted to go there early afternoon.

We ended up going to Plymouth instead, a little out of our way, but doable. My 36 hour round trip (500+ miles each way) to Hatteras was a success, thank you for those that made the suggestions and recommendations.

I'd call that more than a typo, but at least they admitted the mistake and clarified the status.

They really should send out a correction to everyone who got the original e-mail. It wasn't very likely, but since I got the e-mail I was idly pondering a trip that would involve this supercharger this coming weekend, and I would have no idea it wasn't operational yet if I hadn't been checking out this thread as well. I would not be surprised if someone got into a tight spot sometime in the next few days because of it.

Edit: OK, definitely have to give them credit here, they just sent out a corrected e-mail. Hooray!

Last edited:
They really should send out a correction to everyone who got the original e-mail. It wasn't very likely, but since I got the e-mail I was idly pondering a trip that would involve this supercharger this coming weekend, and I would have no idea it wasn't operational yet if I hadn't been checking out this thread as well. I would not be surprised if someone got into a tight spot sometime in the next few days because of it.

Good point! We already saw on this thread where some confusion over whether the Supercharger was open nearly led to someone attempting to rely on it. Luckily they corrected that misunderstanding quickly, and they were able to charge elsewhere, but the next person might not be so lucky. Perhaps someone who got the e-mail should reply to [email protected] and ask them to send out a correction?

They did. New email states they will open on the 19th. In bold.

"The Tesla Supercharger Station in Norfolk, VA will open on Wednesday August 19th and we ..."

They did. New email states they will open on the 19th. In bold.

"The Tesla Supercharger Station in Norfolk, VA will open on Wednesday August 19th and we ..."

Just got that, too. It makes it even clearer at the bottom:

"Please note: The station will not be operational until the grand opening on Wednesday. Please refer to our Supercharger Map to find other convenient places to charge in the meantime."

Driving down to Norfolk on 8/19-20 and returning 8/24-25. Can't wait.
This will be my 5th trip since 2013 when I had a choice of 2 superchargers in CT and Newark, DE before recharging at a Nissan dealer.
The second time (winter before Salisbury) I went through DC and used Glen Allen coming and going.
The third time was also winter and I made 4 supercharging stops (the last being Salisbury, MD) and used a different Nissan dealer.
Oddly on trip 4, I can't recall the details but I made extensive use of L1 charging.
This supercharger will be greatly appreciated!

Drove by a few hours ago ... they are busy hooking it up ..... (let me be clear ... it's not hooked up yet) Guy was there working on it in a Model S along with Va. Power Trucks ....
ribbon-cutting-hero.jpg
Join us to celebrate the opening of the Norfolk Supercharger Station
na-et-en_us-60x66-01.png
Wednesday, August 19th
na-et-en_us-60x60-01.png
10am – 12pm
na-et-en_us-48x64-01.png
na-et-en_us-400x40-02a.png
na-et-en_us-400x40-02b.png