Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ocean Shores, WA (LIVE 10 Oct 2023, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things are progressing quite nicely. They should be pouring concrete in the next couple of days, then it's a three day rest before the installation continues. Looking like just a few weeks away. Once a date is set, get ready for an official grand opening where everyone will be invited!
Tamping down.jpg

Things are progressing quite nicely. They should be pouring concrete in the next couple of days, then it's a three day rest before the installation continues. Looking like just a few weeks away. Once a date is set, get ready for an official grand opening where everyone will be invited! View attachment 962838
Hard to tell from the pictures if the transformer is there. If not it could still be awhile.

An 8-stall site typically gets a 750 kVA transformer, which is about this size. This is likely larger than any other transformer in town. The convention center's 500 kVA transformer is on the other side of the building on Minard Avenue.
With Tesla using 600A breakers for each cabinet, they should be using 500kva per cabinet but this is not always available in theory. 750kva is about 900A service so a site would be maxed out sooner than with a larger transformer. I did some checking of transformers on a recent trip to Yellowstone and it was interesting how they varied on the old V2 sites.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
With Tesla using 600A breakers for each cabinet, they should be using 500kva per cabinet but this is not always available in theory. 750kva is about 900A service so a site would be maxed out sooner than with a larger transformer. I did some checking of transformers on a recent trip to Yellowstone and it was interesting how they varied on the old V2 sites.
They seem to be following the 80% rule (not sure if it actually applies in this situation). 600*.8=480 amps, which comes in at around 400 kVA, which is just over the input rating of 387 kVA on the cabinets.

They seem to be following the 80% rule (not sure if it actually applies in this situation). 600*.8=480 amps, which comes in at around 400 kVA, which is just over the input rating of 387 kVA on the cabinets.
Ah, the old 80% rule, but for it to apply, I think the incoming service needs to be 125% of the rating for each step so the transformer still should be 125% of the cabinet rating. So if the cabinet is 387kVa (rounded to 400) then the incoming service needs to be 500kVa. Otherwise a 400kVa incoming service gets derated to 320kVa at the cabinet which means less output unless some is borrowed from other cabinets over the DC bus when available. But still less overall capacity for the site with smaller transformers. I think if it is available, they will do 500kVa but in some areas they have to make do with less. The Portland IKEA spot comes to mind (1000A for 4 cabinets).

Here is 1600A service (1330kVa) for 3 cabinets (440/cabinet).
1691547273727.png

1200A (1000kVa) for 2 cabinets (500/cabinet)
1691547420011.png

It does but wasn’t sure if for the SC as looks bigger than normal for a small SC?Good news if it is.
I’m staying out here for a couple of days so I stopped by. I believe that the green monster that is in the picture is for the strip mall. Not an expert here, I’m assuming that the transformer would be next to the inverters where there’s exposed conduit.

I’m staying out here for a couple of days so I stopped by. I believe that the green monster that is in the picture is for the strip mall. Not an expert here, I’m assuming that the transformer would be next to the inverters where there’s exposed conduit.
No, that is where a switchgear cabinet will go. It will receive power from the transformer and be routed through an electrical panel to the Tesla equipment.

if you look on the other side of the transformer, there should be numbers painted on it in white or yellow that say the size. If it’s under 500kva, it’s for the strip center. If it’s 500kva or more, it’s for Tesla.

No, that is where a switchgear cabinet will go. It will receive power from the transformer and be routed through an electrical panel to the Tesla equipment.

if you look on the other side of the transformer, there should be numbers painted on it in white or yellow that say the size. If it’s under 500kva, it’s for the strip center. If it’s 500kva or more, it’s for Tesla.
I stopped by this afternoon and I believe I’ve identified the correct transformer, the switch gear cabinet is still missing. On the south side of the transformer was some information: 277/480 another sticker: 1000XS. I get the 480 don’t get the 277. Was expecting a KVA number, no idea what XS means.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1025.jpeg
    IMG_1025.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: otter and bruce4000
I stopped by this afternoon and I believe I’ve identified the correct transformer, the switch gear cabinet is still missing. On the south side of the transformer was some information: 277/480 another sticker: 1000XS. I get the 480 don’t get the 277. Was expecting a KVA number, no idea what XS means.

480V line-line / 277V line-neutral. Typical.

1000 May be the KVA?
1000kva, typical for 8-12 stalls.

Reactions: bruce4000