Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger orange ring ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our new Model X 100d on Saturday, Dec 8 and had the same problem. We could charge at home with the wall charger but not at the supercharger. Yesterday the ranger was out and noticed right away that the fit was too tight. They replaced the plug on the car with a different one and now charging works fine at the superchargers. Seems like the new builds have bad plugs, maybe due to a different supplier.
Do you mean the charge port? Cars don’t have plugs.

I took a drive to same supercharger and was able to get X to charge....however, I did get orange ring will same application as Home unit or most local supercharger in Raleigh. With a good amount of force and wiggle I got a green light. However getting it out was just stupid hard. I almost fell down I was pulling so hard. Actually got it on video so is kinda funny.
Had same experience at 5 different stalls there. Will be showing video to service center
Works like butter at local supercharger, just odd

I was also able to get my new X to charge this evening at same supercharger I could not get to work this last weekend. I had confidence after having slight issue getting charged in at home that I could get it to work and I did. It took a couple of attempts and some crazy force to get it in and out (there is a joke there somewhere) but it felt good to see that green light. I will have service center take a look at it next week while X is there getting a minor paint issue corrected.

Reactions: srharris22
We picked up our new Model X 100d on Saturday, Dec 8 and had the same problem. We could charge at home with the wall charger but not at the supercharger. Yesterday the ranger was out and noticed right away that the fit was too tight. They replaced the plug on the car with a different one and now charging works fine at the superchargers. Seems like the new builds have bad plugs, maybe due to a different supplier.

I wonder if this is the issue with our MX. At the delivery, the Tesla employee was having a hard time getting the plug out herself. She was blaming it on the WC plug. She drives a Tesla herself. I tried it at home and it is really hard to plug and unplug with the white ring. And once in a while I am getting orange or even red ring. With the red ring, I have to unplug the mobile charger from the NEMA 14-50 outlet, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in to reset the red light on the charger. I don't know if I have a bad charger or a bad car port.

We picked up our Model S on December 24th. It charges fine at home but when we tried to charge it at a Supercharger today, we got the orange light problem too. We tried 3 different chargers at the same location and hit the same problem. After a 20 minute wait, got to talk to a service rep. He told us that this has been a problem with recently manufactured vehicles and its most likely because of a new supplier for the charge port. Will be taking it to the service center tomorrow to figure out what the problem is.

The issue on mine definitely seems to be a overly snug charge port. I was nervous last night after dropping my wife/daughter at Sac Airport and needing a quick charge to get home that I may not be able to charge.

Initially the plug won't go in, I'm able to push button and give it a 2nd push and it clicks and starts charging. Dropping the X off at SC in a couple hours and I will be discussing this with them but it seems to be resolving itself with use.

This is my second Tesla - my S has NEVER had a problem like this - I suspect that this is a “batch” issue with latest batches of produced ports.

30 minutes at a Supercharger yesterday, 30 tries, 3 different Superchargers, finally got it to work.

My S - first time, every time.

We are taking our X in tomorrow. Actually took a video of using the attachment for a level 2 charger which won’t come out of the charge port easily either.
Will update as to what we hear back, however they will probably have car for a few days to address a few issues.
Fingers crossed for a P100D loaner

I followed someone else's advice on another thread to put some WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe the plastic side of the port. The port is really slick now and the home plug goes right in with a click. I haven't tried it at a super charger yet after the WD-40. But without WD-40, you need to use maximum force to push the thing into the port to not show orange.

I followed someone else's advice on another thread to put some WD-40 on a paper towel and wipe the plastic side of the port. The port is really slick now and the home plug goes right in with a click. I haven't tried it at a super charger yet after the WD-40. But without WD-40, you need to use maximum force to push the thing into the port to not show orange.
I’ve done that on my S during my annual cleaning but it’s never really been necessary.

Didn’t bring the can on the road trip - was able to get it working at local supercharger and on the road trip, but I think the extreme cold and snow here in Erie, PA exasperated the problem. An S pulled up along side of me (after getting caught in the storm and forced from the highway) and had no problems...it’s the X....

I’ve done that on my S during my annual cleaning but it’s never really been necessary.

Didn’t bring the can on the road trip - was able to get it working at local supercharger and on the road trip, but I think the extreme cold and snow here in Erie, PA exasperated the problem. An S pulled up along side of me (after getting caught in the storm and forced from the highway) and had no problems...it’s the X....

Someone posted somewhere here that the newer MX use a different supplier for the charge port. Probably just tighter.

Dropped my X at the SC today, they are going to replace the charge port. It seems like they are well aware of the problem during my interactions with road side and the SC. I have a loaner model S 75, plug slid right in with ease once I got home. I figured out how to get our X to work but I doubt my wife could apply the force needed to plug/unplug if I'm not with her.