Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Parsippany, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove past this morning, everything looks done, but it’s missing the electric meter (there’s just a piece of cardboard in its place), perhaps also a transformer, but you can’t see that much from the road.

Now we wait for JCPL (Just Can't Power the Lights) ...

I live in Parsippany and can confirm that the zoning/permitting process usually involves an off-the-cuff rejection, with a variance application to follow. That's just how it works. I went through it getting my backyard permitted properly. Totally normal - and for the record, nobody in Parsippany was opposed to it; just have to do their due diligence.

This is about 10 minutes from my home, so great to have a supercharger this close. That said, all I need now is a Tesla. ;-)

Now we wait for JCPL (Just Can't Power the Lights) ...

I live in Parsippany and can confirm that the zoning/permitting process usually involves an off-the-cuff rejection, with a variance application to follow. That's just how it works. I went through it getting my backyard permitted properly. Totally normal - and for the record, nobody in Parsippany was opposed to it; just have to do their due diligence.

This is about 10 minutes from my home, so great to have a supercharger this close. That said, all I need now is a Tesla. ;-)
They actually already got rejected before they started (well, they had to do a 'lighting study' and have that approved first, which took months). You are right though, now we wait for JCPL (lol), and they can take months if they don't feel like it.

Reactions: dmurphy
They actually already got rejected before they started (well, they had to do a 'lighting study' and have that approved first, which took months). You are right though, now we wait for JCPL (lol), and they can take months if they don't feel like it.

Oh yeah, very familiar with that ... you apply, they reject, you then get to ask for permission on whatever it is they rejected it for, so on and so forth ...

As I said, I live in Parsippany, and my particular development has an oddball zoning. The development was built in the late-60's, but was re-zoned shortly thereafter. This means that anything and everything here is already out of compliance. So, if I try to do so much as lay one paver brick, it's already out of compliance. So everything - and I mean everything - needs a variance. That means you get to apply for a permit (could be for almost anything), and they'll immediately reject it. I mean, like, you do it in person and they walk you around the corner from the construction department right to the zoning department so you can start the variance paperwork.

Apply for variance, deposit a bond, submit plans, wait for a hearing to be assigned, run ads in the newspaper, provide proof of ad, pay the planning board's architect, pay the newspaper, defend variance at a board meeting, receive approval, pay for permit, receive permit, and THEN begin work. It's a 6 month process, and that's if nobody has any objections. If there are (and in this case, the lighting study) - rinse and repeat.

It's a grind for sure ... also explains why everything moves at a snail's pace here in NJ.

But back to topic ... this leads me to an interesting thought. What are theft rates like on Teslas? Has anyone done a study?

Given that the cars are always connected, I'd think the rate would be a lot lower than traditional vehicles. But I'm not sure.

I mention this because this Wawa location is right along Route 280, which is a beeline into Newark. There've been a few thefts of opportunity at that Wawa - someone leaves their car running in the parking lot running in for a coffee or something, and a bad guy jumps in and drives it right down to a chop shop in Newark. By the time the owner comes out, it's halfway there. It's not a dangerous location by any means (and in fact, Parsippany's crime rate is extremely low; one of the reasons it's ranked in the top places to live in the US -- Parsippany-Troy Hills, New Jersey Is No. 26 on MONEY's Best Places to Live list ) - but gotta be smart. Don't give bad guys an easy temptation.

I'd imagine thieves don't really touch Teslas much, since they're always connected and could (in theory) be shut down remotely. And Model 3's, well, they have that nifty camera in the rearview mirror, so it's a bit like Bait Car, if Tesla gets the software right. :)

Oh yeah, very familiar with that ... you apply, they reject, you then get to ask for permission on whatever it is they rejected it for, so on and so forth ...

As I said, I live in Parsippany, and my particular development has an oddball zoning. The development was built in the late-60's, but was re-zoned shortly thereafter. This means that anything and everything here is already out of compliance. So, if I try to do so much as lay one paver brick, it's already out of compliance. So everything - and I mean everything - needs a variance. That means you get to apply for a permit (could be for almost anything), and they'll immediately reject it. I mean, like, you do it in person and they walk you around the corner from the construction department right to the zoning department so you can start the variance paperwork.

Apply for variance, deposit a bond, submit plans, wait for a hearing to be assigned, run ads in the newspaper, provide proof of ad, pay the planning board's architect, pay the newspaper, defend variance at a board meeting, receive approval, pay for permit, receive permit, and THEN begin work. It's a 6 month process, and that's if nobody has any objections. If there are (and in this case, the lighting study) - rinse and repeat.

It's a grind for sure ... also explains why everything moves at a snail's pace here in NJ.

But back to topic ... this leads me to an interesting thought. What are theft rates like on Teslas? Has anyone done a study?

Given that the cars are always connected, I'd think the rate would be a lot lower than traditional vehicles. But I'm not sure.

I mention this because this Wawa location is right along Route 280, which is a beeline into Newark. There've been a few thefts of opportunity at that Wawa - someone leaves their car running in the parking lot running in for a coffee or something, and a bad guy jumps in and drives it right down to a chop shop in Newark. By the time the owner comes out, it's halfway there. It's not a dangerous location by any means (and in fact, Parsippany's crime rate is extremely low; one of the reasons it's ranked in the top places to live in the US -- Parsippany-Troy Hills, New Jersey Is No. 26 on MONEY's Best Places to Live list ) - but gotta be smart. Don't give bad guys an easy temptation.

I'd imagine thieves don't really touch Teslas much, since they're always connected and could (in theory) be shut down remotely. And Model 3's, well, they have that nifty camera in the rearview mirror, so it's a bit like Bait Car, if Tesla gets the software right. :)

I grew up in Parsippany. To answer your question, the FBI shows 112 of 115 stolen Teslas were recovered through October 2018. Back in 2014, I saw “The Model S currently has a theft rating of 0.15 vehicles stolen per 1,000 built. That compares to an across-the-board average of 3.51 stolen per 1,000 produced.” I believe the number has gone up, but it’s still lower than average.

I grew up in Parsippany. To answer your question, the FBI shows 112 of 115 stolen Teslas were recovered through October 2018. Back in 2014, I saw “The Model S currently has a theft rating of 0.15 vehicles stolen per 1,000 built. That compares to an across-the-board average of 3.51 stolen per 1,000 produced.” I believe the number has gone up, but it’s still lower than average.

That’s about what I would expect. Seems a silly theft when the vehicle is remotely connected, traceable and controllable.

So on a different note - if you’re still in the Morris County area - how does EAP handle the common traffic here? I have this magical dream of EAP managing me through all the route 24/78 corridor traffic to/from the airport. Go ahead and burst my bubble if that’s not realistic, please. I’d love to hear your experience driving a Model 3 in this neck of the woods; I find TMC (and Tesla in general) kinda west coast tilted; would love perspective from someone here in NJ. We’re our own unique bunch, that’s for sure. Haha. Thanks.

That’s about what I would expect. Seems a silly theft when the vehicle is remotely connected, traceable and controllable.

So on a different note - if you’re still in the Morris County area - how does EAP handle the common traffic here? I have this magical dream of EAP managing me through all the route 24/78 corridor traffic to/from the airport. Go ahead and burst my bubble if that’s not realistic, please. I’d love to hear your experience driving a Model 3 in this neck of the woods; I find TMC (and Tesla in general) kinda west coast tilted; would love perspective from someone here in NJ. We’re our own unique bunch, that’s for sure. Haha. Thanks.

EAP is getting there. Nav On Autopilot only works on major (no traffic light) highways, like 80 and 287. In the best circumstances, about 10% of the time, I can get from Rt 10 to Rt 287 to Rt 24 without any interventions other than holding the wheel and making sure the nag goes away. This includes automatically signaling and taking the proper exits.

Over the past few months, the number of times I’ve had to disengage seems to be getting lower. It typically involves other cars trying to merge. Or, there’s one point on 287 where you have to get over 3 lanes in a short period of time (to get to Rt 10). Nav On AP generally can’t handle that with any other cars on the road. It’s not great at anticipating all the gaps not just one lane over, but two or three.

EAP (without Nav) is also improving. Lane holding and acceleration are more natural (human like). It takes exit ramps more confidently, automatically slowing more. When it works, it’s magical. When it doesn’t, I’m reminded we’re likely years away from not having to watch the road.

I am, however, excited for HW3.0 this year and seeing how quickly the improvements come with more computing power.

Reactions: Acps110 and dmurphy
EAP is getting there. Nav On Autopilot only works on major (no traffic light) highways, like 80 and 287. In the best circumstances, about 10% of the time, I can get from Rt 10 to Rt 287 to Rt 24 without any interventions other than holding the wheel and making sure the nag goes away. This includes automatically signaling and taking the proper exits.

Over the past few months, the number of times I’ve had to disengage seems to be getting lower. It typically involves other cars trying to merge. Or, there’s one point on 287 where you have to get over 3 lanes in a short period of time (to get to Rt 10). Nav On AP generally can’t handle that with any other cars on the road. It’s not great at anticipating all the gaps not just one lane over, but two or three.

EAP (without Nav) is also improving. Lane holding and acceleration are more natural (human like). It takes exit ramps more confidently, automatically slowing more. When it works, it’s magical. When it doesn’t, I’m reminded we’re likely years away from not having to watch the road.

I am, however, excited for HW3.0 this year and seeing how quickly the improvements come with more computing power.

That's actually very encouraging. What I'm really looking for the most is handling stop-n-go traffic, like the constant backup on 24W to 287N. I don't need it "fully" automated, but helping manage the stop and go traffic sure would be nice.

The 3-lane jump on 287, yep, I don't expect it to manage that. And that's OK. I really want to just let it manage thru the mundane stuff - I still agree, we're years away from being able to nap during a commute, but just the occasional "ok, you take the pedals" while I'm stuck in traffic would be awesome. I'm impressed that you can make it 10-287-24 on full autopilot - that's somewhat hairy, actually. The 287N ramp is fairly sharp and a decent incline. And - typical NJ - the road markings are a mess. The fact that it can do it *at all* speaks volumes.

Nav on Autopilot is a dream in my book. Might work on the Turnpike with the wider lanes and bigger skip lines, but I can't imagine traveling the GSP with it... too many knuckleheads darting for position for that to be effective. Don't care *how* good the software gets. Even wetware (i.e. my brain) can't cope with it most days.

HW3.0 should help... one would hope. If things go my way, I'll be looking at leasing a M3 with HW3.0 in the May-June timeframe. I can stretch that until September but really need to make a decision by then, as my current lease runs out. C'mon Elon! Work with me here... :)

THANK YOU for the awesome insight! Really appreciate it!

Reactions: MarkS22
That's actually very encouraging. What I'm really looking for the most is handling stop-n-go traffic, like the constant backup on 24W to 287N. I don't need it "fully" automated, but helping manage the stop and go traffic sure would be nice.

The 3-lane jump on 287, yep, I don't expect it to manage that. And that's OK. I really want to just let it manage thru the mundane stuff - I still agree, we're years away from being able to nap during a commute, but just the occasional "ok, you take the pedals" while I'm stuck in traffic would be awesome. I'm impressed that you can make it 10-287-24 on full autopilot - that's somewhat hairy, actually. The 287N ramp is fairly sharp and a decent incline. And - typical NJ - the road markings are a mess. The fact that it can do it *at all* speaks volumes.

Nav on Autopilot is a dream in my book. Might work on the Turnpike with the wider lanes and bigger skip lines, but I can't imagine traveling the GSP with it... too many knuckleheads darting for position for that to be effective. Don't care *how* good the software gets. Even wetware (i.e. my brain) can't cope with it most days.

HW3.0 should help... one would hope. If things go my way, I'll be looking at leasing a M3 with HW3.0 in the May-June timeframe. I can stretch that until September but really need to make a decision by then, as my current lease runs out. C'mon Elon! Work with me here... :)

THANK YOU for the awesome insight! Really appreciate it!

I do think that the first real FSD we’ll see will be “Traffic Assist” on major highways (e.g. 287/80/Turnpike) when the speed is under 35mph. That’s when it feels most confident now. It’s going much slower than the speed limit, so the curves are gentle. You have plenty of sensor data with all the other cars visible. There are no traffic lights or pedestrians. We have to worry about deer, but even that should be reasonable at under 35mph.

Good luck with that lease. There should be some awesome updates by June.

I do think that the first real FSD we’ll see will be “Traffic Assist” on major highways (e.g. 287/80/Turnpike) when the speed is under 35mph. That’s when it feels most confident now. It’s going much slower than the speed limit, so the curves are gentle. You have plenty of sensor data with all the other cars visible. There are no traffic lights or pedestrians. We have to worry about deer, but even that should be reasonable at under 35mph.

Good luck with that lease. There should be some awesome updates by June.

Maybe I’ve got it backwards, but FSD is most appealing to me in that situation. I find heavy traffic, slow, crawling, low speed movement much more stressful than high speed open highway travel. I know it’s not sexy for advertising - nobody wants to see a commercial of cars stuck in traffic - but an hour stuck bumper to bumper always puts me in a bad mood. An hour cruising at 70? That’s joyous.

So, as much as it’s the easier use case, it’s also the one I want more.

And thanks - I’m hopeful for some good stuff by June too. I just have to wrap my brain around downsizing out of an SUV and into a small sedan. If Elon loved me, the Model Y would be shipping in June.

Superchargers of Parsippany under tarps
65304630-1C21-4DAC-B107-578A6EBEA0F5.jpeg

Reactions: Acps110 and MarkS22
What exactly does "30 Minute General Parking" mean? It seems like there's no restrictions on ICE cars parking there but would have a 30 min limit, if a Tesla was charging, would it be able to park and charge longer?

I'm wondering because I've seen another supercharger in Harrison NJ (also under tarps) that says "10 Minute general parking" but don't think 10 minutes is really worth it unless you really need ~20-30 miles.

The way I read those signs it means ICE cars can park for the displayed time while Teslas can charge for however long it takes. The SCs with “limited” charging times usually have those plastic signs propped up on the ground as a temporary congestion reduction feature to avoid long lines.

Reactions: BagheeraNY