Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasco, WA (LIVE 20 Apr 2023, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R

ReddyLeaf

This thread may be a bit premature, but…… the Tesla Find Us page is showing: Pasco, WA coming in Q4 2022, just around the corner. This is unexpected to me, because I’ve never seen the Kennewick SC even close to full, maybe a time or two at 3/4 full. So, it’s time to start the speculation and searching through “call before you dig” requests. Anybody good at that? @acarney ?? I started looking through the LNI permit site and there’s nothing back to June 1st.

Anyway, my guess as to location is somewhere along I-182, probably Road 100 or Road 68 exits. There are a couple of hotels at Road 68 exit that might partner with Tesla (Hampton or Holiday Inns). Though I rarely go to such places, perhaps the outlet mall at 5222 Outlet Dr. The Troutdale, OR outlet mall is now getting lots of my business because of its perfect location for my travel path, so perhaps the Pasco one is equally desperate and willing to host an SC. Other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: izzelsizzel
I'm putting money on the new Love's location on 395 towards Spokane. Here is the huge parking lot. Plenty of places for a SC.... or

1663040077780.png

Also, off road 68, there is new construction with Mod Pizza, Jersey Mikes, Chipotle...
1663040215983.png

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I’ve just been checking One Call status and haven’t seen anything.

Road 68 would be a mess. Lots of traffic, lots of businesses. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was blocked frequently unless it was pretty far away. Most plaza’s I feel like are really pretty packed with cars or light trucks towing.

• Helpful
I'm putting money on the new Love's location on 395 towards Spokane. Here is the huge parking lot. Plenty of places for a SC.... or

View attachment 851940

Also, off road 68, there is new construction with Mod Pizza, Jersey Mikes, Chipotle...
View attachment 851941
Not sure exactly where the Loves will be located, but I would guess a decent ways outside Pasco business areas.

I feel like the Queensgate area in Richland would have covered more travel directions, but this is probably more a “replacement” of an older V2 station up to V3 (or dare we get lucky enough for a V4 station). They probably won’t remove the Kennewick V2 site but as it ages out they’ll have the replacement already up and running. Seems to be the MO for Tesla lately (Ellensberg, Sprague, Federal Way, Burlington, Chehalis, Hood River…)

Love's is already built on 395 (Spokane exit) and I believe open. The developer intends on opening many more stores. The Love's has an Arby's inside. This location is central for those driving north or east. If coming from Portland, going towards Yakima I would use the Kennewick SC and bypass the Tri-Cities.

Love's is already built on 395 (Spokane exit) and I believe open. The developer intends on opening many more stores. The Love's has an Arby's inside. This location is central for those driving north or east. If coming from Portland, Pendleton going towards Yakima I would use the Kennewick SC and bypass the Tri-Cities.
Portland to Yakima via Kennewick makes no sense. Charge in the Dalles and take 97 directly to Yakima. Did you mean Pendleton? Personally, the 395/Kartchner exit is less desirable from a services standpoint, but probably better for travel to Lewiston, ID (where I would like to see an SC).

As for Queensgate mall, it’s a better choice service-wise, but doubtful because EVITA tried unsuccessfully for many months to convince the owners to put in a DCQC-L2 system. Instead, it’s located at the Richland maintenance parking lot across the street.

My money’s still on the Pasco outlet mall, desperate for relevance in today’s Amazon-Internet driven shopping world.

Yokes parking lot, confirmed by city planners. First location choice was in a utility easement so they had to go back and find another place. It is in front of the planning commission now subject to approval.

1664402124078.png

This is quite the surprise. You’ve gotta think it’s on 395 somewhere. Road 100 at the outlet mall maybe but road 68 would be such a cluster.
Commence cluster.

Not the worst ever (since it's at least near the on/off ramp for Road 86), but not ideal. I do like that it's closer in so if you're going to Walla Walla or something this would be a good stop vs if it was a few miles out of town towards Spokane or something.

I still think closer to 82 would have been better since you get people that are going past the Tri Cities and people that are going through it, but this is ~10 min out of your way and likely if you're going from Yakima to Pendleton and needed to charge here it would add about 15 minutes drive time. If it was near the Walmart/Target area off Queensgate it would basically be right on the way of 82 travel and you do still have the older one for 395 travel.

I guess I'm still just impressed we're getting a second one here (and likely a V3 station!) when some major metro areas still just have 2 or 3 (or maybe just one!)

Not the worst ever (since it's at least near the on/off ramp for Road 86), but not ideal. I do like that it's closer in so if you're going to Walla Walla or something this would be a good stop vs if it was a few miles out of town towards Spokane or something.

I still think closer to 82 would have been better since you get people that are going past the Tri Cities and people that are going through it, but this is ~10 min out of your way and likely if you're going from Yakima to Pendleton and needed to charge here it would add about 15 minutes drive time. If it was near the Walmart/Target area off Queensgate it would basically be right on the way of 82 travel and you do still have the older one for 395 travel.

I guess I'm still just impressed we're getting a second one here (and likely a V3 station!) when some major metro areas still just have 2 or 3 (or maybe just one!)
Anything other than a MS 60 should have no trouble making Yakima to Pendleton. It’s 133 miles.

82 does make more sense on the Seattle to Boise route but where would it go to split Yakima to Pendleton? Presser? Maybe one will end up there but for now this is probably more to deal with more cars on the road doing Portland to Spokane now that Boardman is there.

Anything other than a MS 60 should have no trouble making Yakima to Pendleton. It’s 133 miles.

82 does make more sense on the Seattle to Boise route but where would it go to split Yakima to Pendleton? Presser? Maybe one will end up there but for now this is probably more to deal with more cars on the road doing Portland to Spokane now that Boardman is there.
Winter and/or towing

Funny you mention that. Before Boardman was open I was heading from Cheney to Portland and right before I got to Ritzville got a notification that the Kennewick one was down. Because of that I had to go to Yakima and down adding a lot of miles and time to the trip. This redundancy will be comforting.

Winter and/or towing
Also Model 3 SR+

Let's be generous and call it 240 miles at highway speeds. Well cut 20% off the top end and 10% off the bottom and that 240 is now 168 miles. That gives you a ~35 mile buffer. Get some winter temps, wet roads, snow on the roads and that 35 miles could erode pretty fast. So sure, you COULD charge to 90 or 100%, but then you're sitting at superchargers longer both using up space and your time or push below your 10% left in the pack but I think a lot of newer owners might feel pretty uneasy seeing 5-15 miles left remaining or something.

If you're towing anything or even have a few bikes on a rack on the back of a Model Y and a wet road or something (or going 80mph or something) and you might be at 400 wh/mi. With an 80kWh pack and again using 70% of it (10% buffer at the bottom and leaving a charger at 80%) then your range is ~140 miles. Again you could make it, but it would be close. I still feel like the ideal spacing is more like 75 miles between superchargers since if you're going supercharger to supercharger you're liking not charging past 80% and maybe even leaving around 70 or 75% because of the charge profile.

There's a difference between technically possible and what a non-techie owner might feel comfortable with when visiting family in the winter with a spouse and two little kids in the car.

There's an exit just outside of Prosser with a Love's truck stop, McDonald's, and a Starbucks. That would be the ideal location.

Seattle to Boise (and beyond) is a major interstate corridor. And if you plug that route into Google Maps, you'll see that it completely bypasses Tri-Cities, saving some time and saving a ton of miles (which is more important to EV drivers). I've driven that route probably 4 times in the last year and never once went through Tri-Cities. It was kind of a pain in the days before the Yakima supercharger, charging to near full at the old 5-stall supercharger in Ellensburg, but it was still worth it to bypass Kennewick.

Reactions: Quigibo
Also Model 3 SR+

Let's be generous and call it 240 miles at highway speeds. Well cut 20% off the top end and 10% off the bottom and that 240 is now 168 miles. That gives you a ~35 mile buffer. Get some winter temps, wet roads, snow on the roads and that 35 miles could erode pretty fast. So sure, you COULD charge to 90 or 100%, but then you're sitting at superchargers longer both using up space and your time or push below your 10% left in the pack but I think a lot of newer owners might feel pretty uneasy seeing 5-15 miles left remaining or something.

If you're towing anything or even have a few bikes on a rack on the back of a Model Y and a wet road or something (or going 80mph or something) and you might be at 400 wh/mi. With an 80kWh pack and again using 70% of it (10% buffer at the bottom and leaving a charger at 80%) then your range is ~140 miles. Again you could make it, but it would be close. I still feel like the ideal spacing is more like 75 miles between superchargers since if you're going supercharger to supercharger you're liking not charging past 80% and maybe even leaving around 70 or 75% because of the charge profile.

There's a difference between technically possible and what a non-techie owner might feel comfortable with when visiting family in the winter with a spouse and two little kids in the car.

There's an exit just outside of Prosser with a Love's truck stop, McDonald's, and a Starbucks. That would be the ideal location.

Seattle to Boise (and beyond) is a major interstate corridor. And if you plug that route into Google Maps, you'll see that it completely bypasses Tri-Cities, saving some time and saving a ton of miles (which is more important to EV drivers). I've driven that route probably 4 times in the last year and never once went through Tri-Cities. It was kind of a pain in the days before the Yakima supercharger, charging to near full at the old 5-stall supercharger in Ellensburg, but it was still worth it to bypass Kennewick.
I don't digagree with anything either of you is saying. I was just trying to figure out why Tesla is choosing to add additional capacity in Tr-Cities vs splitting some of the larger Interstate gaps on more traveled routes. Pasco, WA is on the map, Prosser, WA is not. That tells you where Tesla thinks more traffic and use will come (and thus more profit in their pockets). Providing more stalls in populated areas (outside of CA) seems more important to Tesla at this point than filling in interstate gaps in lesser populated areas (i.e. areas not on the way to or from CA).

Reactions: bruce4000
Did you happen to save the page so we can identify the location of the rest?

Tesla seems to have removed addresses again...

Published here:

• Helpful