Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Perry, OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know we probably could have done better at the Ardmore site but we were just getting topped off before heading to OKC. I have found the SC put in less power the more charge you already have. So possibly that was the challenge or as Chris TX says we were in the wrong bay.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, made it to Wichita... With 21 miles left!! We left the OKC CHAdeMO charger with 222 miles and drove 70-72 the entire way. No AC or heat either so it will be great when the Perry site is up. We are getting a very good charger here by all accounts, see app pics. Can't get more pictures to load so will start another post about Perry.
image.jpg
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Well had a post all written out and lost it somehow... Here is the shorter version:
- Spoke to the Perry contractor, Bill Blackburn, he said they are aiming for a April 15th done date
- Challenege is they are waiting on a Transformer that for some reason has yet to be delivered despite being ordered back end of last year
- I think he may be done with his part by the 15th but if the transformer does not show up soon they will be hard pressed to make April 15

A few pics:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 492
Did they mention where they would be going after this job was complete? Perhaps Amarillo, Denton, Trinidad, or ABQ ?
He did say that his son was putting one in on some island but it did not ring a bell and I cannot remember... apologies.

Also wanted to note that we made it to A CHAdeMO charger in Olathe (just outside of KC) with just 16 miles left and that was after knocking the speed down to 65 when we were in Emporia. So they really need a Supercharger there to make it, especially if it were colder as I do not think we would have made it. So if you are going from Wichita to KC make sure you are 100% at the supercharger in Wichita and drive prudently...

The CHAdeMO adapter works really well and I would recommend getting one. They have numerous chargers in KC but you have to have a ChargePoint card. Here is the one at the KC Public library downtown. Works great!
image.jpg

He did say that his son was putting one in on some island but it did not ring a bell and I cannot remember... apologies.Also wanted to note that we made it to A CHAdeMO charger in Olathe (just outside of KC) with just 16 miles left and that was after knocking the speed down to 65 when we were in Emporia. So they really need a Supercharger there to make it, especially if it were colder as I do not think we would have made it. So if you are going from Wichita to KC make sure you are 100% at the supercharger in Wichita and drive prudently...The CHAdeMO adapter works really well and I would recommend getting one. They have numerous chargers in KC but you have to have a ChargePoint card. Here is the one at the KC Public library downtown. Works great!

I believe there is a Supercharger in Topeka, so if you are heading to KC, you could have stopped there and Supercharged before heading on to KC and Independence Supercharger.
It is only 140 miles (Wichita to Topeka), so I am a bit confused why you would try to make it straight to KC???

It is 207 miles from Wichita to Independence, which is makable, but perhaps not if you are "slowing down to 65".

So two Options would be either go:

** Wichita (Supercharger) via Topeka (Supercharger) to KC (Independence) (Supercharger), drive any speed you feel comfortable doing. Slightly longer distance, but Superchargers make it worth it with regard to total time of travel.
And NO Range Anxiety.

** Wichita (Supercharger) via Emporia to KC (Independence) (Supercharger), driving at a bit slower speed (65 mph would be my guess) for the entire duration.
YMMV.
If it is really windy or colder or raining, you might need to modify your speed to be a bit slower.

Charging at the KC Library is much slower than at a Supercharger.
And using Superchargers are FREE.

One last bit/tip.
When driving long distances, Model S gets better mileage (range) when in Range Mode.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
So, good points, just a few thoughts:

1. Did look at going to Topeka but it is on the other side of Topeka so adds a bit of you are coming from Wichita and want to go the KC. Definitely thinking we will go that way on the way home despite the out of the way location of the supercharger as it was rather stressful making it to KC from Wichita.
2. The CHAdeMO chargers at the KC library, while slower than the Superchargers, are much faster than the typical charger. I got between 124 and 126 mi/hr at the two I used. Both were also free.
3. The KC supercharger is outside of town and we are staying on the opposite side of town and at the KC convention center so driving 30/40 min to the supercharger is no Bueno.
4. Yes, we have been in range mode the entire trip and did not have heat or AC on or seat warmers, did everything to conserve except drive slower than 65...

Thanks for for the tips and thoughts, really do appreciate it as doing this without the Superchargers does require quite a bit of pre-planning and would never have done it without the CHAdeMO adapter.

Stopped by yesterday evening, nothing appears to have changed from the news article. Looks like we're still awaiting the transformer. Anyone know where it will go, so I'll know where to look next time I'm by?
It should go on the pad that is to the east of the charging stations (down at the end closest to the entrance to the parking lot. I think you can see where it should go in the picture I attached in my previous post a few days ago when we went through.

I believe there is a Supercharger in Topeka, so if you are heading to KC, you could have stopped there and Supercharged before heading on to KC and Independence Supercharger.
It is only 140 miles (Wichita to Topeka), so I am a bit confused why you would try to make it straight to KC???

So Purplewalt, wanted to get back to you on this following my initial reply as we did go back through Topeka on the way home and it was way better than going through Emporia. Yes the SC is out of the way but the fact that it allowed me to go 80-83 the entire way to Wichita (pulling in to the SC there with only 22 miles left) was significantly better than going 65 once we got to Emporia and arriving with just 16 miles in Olathe.

In the wise words of Michael Scott, "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and I am that big man." :) (for those of you not following this is from The Office).

So thanks for the note and advice, it made me re-think and re-plan the trip home and was much better. I still think they need a SC in Emporia to make it possible to head that way but for the time being, this was a much better route.

So Purplewalt, wanted to get back to you on this following my initial reply as we did go back through Topeka on the way home and it was way better than going through Emporia. Yes the SC is out of the way but the fact that it allowed me to go 80-83 the entire way to Wichita (pulling in to the SC there with only 22 miles left) was significantly better than going 65 once we got to Emporia and arriving with just 16 miles in Olathe.

In the wise words of Michael Scott, "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and I am that big man." :) (for those of you not following this is from The Office).

So thanks for the note and advice, it made me re-think and re-plan the trip home and was much better. I still think they need a SC in Emporia to make it possible to head that way but for the time being, this was a much better route.

Main thing is you made it there and back again, and had a bit more breathing room.
The Means and Methods to reach your destination is up to each individual driver.
Hope you had a chance to enjoy some great BBQ while in KC.

You didn't mention if you happened to stop by Perry on the way back home.
So, unless a crew got busy installing the transformer, I already know the answer...

BTW: I just got my email on a CHAdeMO adaptor today (Wednesday), so I will soon be able to add that to my bag of tricks for long distance travel.
Nothing beat Superchargers, but it sounds like CHAdeMO is a worthy alternate when needing a charge.

4. Yes, we have been in range mode the entire trip and did not have heat or AC on or seat warmers, did everything to conserve except drive slower than 65...

New EV road trippers please note that the FIRST thing you should do to conserve range is to slow down; too many people drive with the climate control and radio off thinking that it makes a significant difference. Those loads are typically small potatoes compared to the 20kW or so needed to move a Model S down the road at 55-60mph (unless it's really cold outside). Slow down another 5mph and enjoy the comforts of your Model S: you'll still get there and you'll be happier for it.

If you haven't done so already, put down what you're doing and read ChadS primer on the subject of range:

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range