Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger: Plainview, NY (Long Island)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents live in the area, Plainview has been down for at least a week.
Wow, this is really bad for trip planning if this is becoming a pattern. Imagine counting on a SC to continue your trip only to find an entire string of them are out. Not a good way to sell electrics.

My wife drives a Honda Clarity (about 55 all electric before switching to the ICE) and I’ve tried to talk her into a 3. She refuses, saying she at least wants the assurance of having one car that can take gas, ‘just in case’. I guess this is an example of ‘just in case’.

Plainview is back up.

Attachments

• FECC53B7-A6E7-4389-84DD-FE0FC9F19761.jpeg
    FECC53B7-A6E7-4389-84DD-FE0FC9F19761.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 98
Does anyone have any ideas about why Plainview has been totally off line so often and Valley Stream has had reduced service for well over a month. This is very difficult for people legitimately traveling from west of the island. They have to make it to Southampton or Islandia to have enough range to make it around the Island and back off of it.
I was picking up my car today at Syosset Service Center and a customer was there asking what to do: He was going to charge up in Plainview but he saw on the screen that it was down. He only had 20 miles of range left and Islandia was listed as 21 miles away. I suggested to him, in front of the service desk guy, that maybe Service could hook him up to a 220v line. I don’t know what the outcome ended up being, but I felt sorry for him.
I’m surprised that I haven’t heard /read of more people be outraged at this.

I wonder if Plainview has to do with the construction that is taking place in the shopping center and across the street. I hope it gets better. For me it is about using almost 7k free supercharging miles in a timely manner before they expire. I feel bad for anyone who is in a bind and depends on these to get a charge.

Tesla app shows plainview is down again. I was charging there the other week and got a “car needs service unable to charge” warning, even though the car was still charging (at 122kW). Wasn’t sure if it was something wrong with my car or the charger.

Does anyone know why this charger is down? I almost didn’t make it to work today, learned the hard way to check the app first or the GPS on screen before going.
You should always use the navigation to route you to the supercharger that way the car preheats the battery pack as you approach. It's especially important in the winter as a cold battery takes forever to charge (normal driving doesn't warm it quick enough).

You should always use the navigation to route you to the supercharger that way the car preheats the battery pack as you approach. It's especially important in the winter as a cold battery takes forever to charge (normal driving doesn't warm it quick enough).
I do use the preheat function. The problem was I didn’t realize that the station was out of order, I learned to be more mindful of my screen in the morning when I need to charge.
On a bright note, a coworker who is another EV owner offered me to charge at his house(walking distance to my work) as an emergency option if needed.

I do use the preheat function. The problem was I didn’t realize that the station was out of order, I learned to be more mindful of my screen in the morning when I need to charge.
On a bright note, a coworker who is another EV owner offered me to charge at his house(walking distance to my work) as an emergency option if needed.
Oh, it let you click the supercharger icon and navigate even though it was out of service. That sucks.

Tesla app shows plainview is down again. I was charging there the other week and got a “car needs service unable to charge” warning, even though the car was still charging (at 122kW). Wasn’t sure if it was something wrong with my car or the charger.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Tesla deliberately under services the Plainview superchargers because of the way they are abused by locals. Most people who frequent those superchargers are people who live in the area and who have unlimited free supercharging. Rather than charge at home, the locals use the superchargers as their primary place to charge, which really shouldn’t be how they are used. As a result, they are always full to capacity, and more often than not 2-4 of the 8 superchargers are generally either out of order or charge at a snails’ pace. I don’t think Tesla is incentivized to service, let alone expand, the Plainview supercharging site because of the way the superchargers are abused. To accommodate all of the locals who primarily charge at the superchargers and accommodate the handful of people who just travel through and really need access to charging in Plainview, they’d probably need to double the amount of superchargers at that site. I think Tesla would rather let the Plainview site remain overcrowded to force local Tesla owners to start charging at home. That’s my theory.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Tesla deliberately under services the Plainview superchargers because of the way they are abused by locals. Most people who frequent those superchargers are people who live in the area and who have unlimited free supercharging. Rather than charge at home, the locals use the superchargers as their primary place to charge, which really shouldn’t be how they are used. As a result, they are always full to capacity, and more often than not 2-4 of the 8 superchargers are generally either out of order or charge at a snails’ pace. I don’t think Tesla is incentivized to service, let alone expand, the Plainview supercharging site because of the way the superchargers are abused. To accommodate all of the locals who primarily charge at the superchargers and accommodate the handful of people who just travel through and really need access to charging in Plainview, they’d probably need to double the amount of superchargers at that site. I think Tesla would rather let the Plainview site remain overcrowded to force local Tesla owners to start charging at home. That’s my theory.

I live 10-15 min from there. Other than road trips I never really supercharge. all my charging is done at home. But I have stopped by 3-4 times this past year on my way home from work...have a bunch of referral free charging expiring that I don’t want completely wasted lol. Even at 12 am There’s always at least 1-2 other cars there. I’ve seen vacant cars charging...and owners being dropped off by other cars to pick up their Tesla. It’s definitely abused by locals.

And it is down again, seems to be a consistent story lately. I know people who have unlimited supercharging for life and solely charge at supercharging stations. My friend uses the one in Island is though because the speeds are better and not nearly as busy.

it definitely has busy times and other times when it is or actually empty. I do se many MS and MX charging there often.

for those charging at home, are you using a Tesla L2 charger or generic?