Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how long it's expected to take to completion?

If it's completed by early March, travelers to/from the Miami Formula E race will have a Supercharger close enough to cover their stay without worrying about charging in Miami.

Hi Bill,

Now that the permit has been filed there's a good chance that it will be ready in time for the Miami Formula E race.

Larry

Ouch

Environmental requirement before construction plus 10 other conditions. I don't know if this is a normal thing Tesla has to go through . . .

Capture3.JPG

Attention South Florida Tesla Owners!
The last condition is Zoning DOES NOT want signs limiting parking to Tesla Vehicles and will not allow signs to be posted. An invitation to ICE'd Superchargers.
Most of permit conditions are picky and some are very expensive - such as boring 3 feet under tree roots under trees instead of trenching and replacing trees that are injured.
With these permit conditions it'll be easier to put the Supercharger on the Turnpike Pompano Service Area.

The last condition is Zoning DOES NOT want signs limiting parking to Tesla Vehicles and will not allow signs to be posted. An invitation to ICE'd Superchargers.
Most of permit conditions are picky and some are very expensive - such as boring 3 feet under tree roots under trees instead of trenching and replacing trees that are injured.
With these permit conditions it'll be easier to put the Supercharger on the Turnpike Pompano Service Area.

Tesla has dealt with this condition at many of the SC locations. They have a version of the sign that says "30 minute parking only (except while charging)" or something similar, and it *usually* gets past the requirement and prevents ICEing.

If the permitting conditions in Plantation become too onerous there are other nearby cities that are interested in hosting a Supercharger Station. Locating a third Supercharger Station on the Turnpike, while being expedient, might not be the best overall solution.

However, the Plantation permit situation appears to impose both numerous and onerous permits and it is beginning to look dubious that it will be ready in time for the Formula E races.

Larry

If the permitting conditions in Plantation become too onerous there are other nearby cities that are interested in hosting a Supercharger Station. Locating a third Supercharger Station on the Turnpike, while being expedient, might not be the best overall solution.

It's been mentioned before, but the Sawgrass Mills would be a better location anyway. It is right along the path to Superchargers to the west, north, and the permitted location in Marathon to the south. The Plantation location is out of the way for routing to existing/upcoming superchargers, and I-595 traffic is much heavier than I-75 & the Sawgrass Expressway. For anyone that does require travelling along I-595, the Sawgrass Mills is reasonably close.

Have any inquiries been made about putting one at the Sawgrass Mills?

And many people think it should be near I-95. Plantation was generally viewed as a good east/west compromise with a close connector between the three major N/S thoroughfares. It would be unfortunate if Tesla had to start all over on a South Florida supercharger location since the process seems to take so long.

I'm sure some locations are easier than others to get done. Maybe the Plantation permit bureaucracy isn't anything Tesla hasn't dealt with at other locations, and they will be able to plod through it like they have before. But I don't know.

At the San Juan Capistrano Supercharger in California, I saw many Teslas deal with ICED spots by backing up to plug in from the non-parking lot side via a bank drive-thru teller lane.

Teslas on the 10th street berm may be what we'll see on a busy day at the Fountains.

Any updates? I will be driving from Pennsylvania to Deerfield Beach in three weeks-was hoping not to have to use the ICE. But there are no superchargers south of Port St. Lucie, and I don't want to spend my free time parked at some mall or Tesla store at a very low charge rate. I don't have dual chargers.

Any updates? I will be driving from Pennsylvania to Deerfield Beach in three weeks-was hoping not to have to use the ICE. But there are no superchargers south of Port St. Lucie, and I don't want to spend my free time parked at some mall or Tesla store at a very low charge rate. I don't have dual chargers.

There is no way it will be ready for you. None of the 31 conditions have been met yet, so construction is not close to starting.

There are hotels that have Destination charging.

It sounds like perhaps you are staying in a rental house, though -- perhaps a 240V/50A extension cord and a drier plug is your option? You can certainly make it to Deerfield Beach from Port St Lucie or Fort Drum.

Even if Plantation were live, destination charging is much better than driving 20 miles each way to a supercharger every few days.

Not even a 110V outlet outside? You can make it from St. Lucie to Deerfield and back with plenty of charge left, so it's just a matter of making sure you get enough while you're there to cover any local driving. I'd check Plugshare to see if there's anything nearby if there's no 110V.

Deerfield Beach has a J-1772 EV charger at their parking garage at the following location close to the water.

EV-Charger Deerfield Beach
123 NE 20th Ave
Deerfield Beach‎ FL‎ 33441

The charging is pricey at .39 cents per KW. Plus they charge to park. Parking seemed to be cheaper on Sunday. There are plenty of
things to do in the area while charging.

Plug share has more info.

If you go eat at:

The Whale's Rib
2031 Northeast 2nd Street
Deerfield Beach, Fl 33441
(954) 421-8880

it's a dive with good food.

More than happy to have you charge at my house in Boca. I'm just of Dixie, so pretty close to where you might be. You can drop your car off and I'll take you back to Deerfield, then bring you back when the charging is done. Let me know. I might be traveling in mid Fed, so let me know the dates if you want to take me up on the offer. Drop me an email at nickjhowe at Gmail.

There is a TON of public charging and TESLA has a store in the Town Center Mall that is real close to DEERFIELD. You could fill up once and be done for a few days and then many places you may go for dinner have charging very close. Check the Plugshare app. I would definitely bring the car.