Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portland, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, don't want to pay for it. Side note- we are the consumers and can influence policy. Surprised how folks often rush to side with Tesla instead of average Tesla consumer. Not a big deal to pay, but realize we all have influence to shape how WE would like the system to be. Don't be resigned to what you would expect a big corporation to do
Sorry, but that comment is ridiculous. There just isn't free parking in the middle of a downtown of a big city. The irrelevant side effect of a Supercharger being installed somewhere doesn't change that fact.

Sorry, but that comment is ridiculous. There just isn't free parking in the middle of a downtown of a big city. The irrelevant side effect of a Supercharger being installed somewhere doesn't change that fact.
Rocky, my post was not stating there is free parking in downtown Portland. Only that Portland has other nice areas that are not as close in that you can put free Supercharger parking. I'll note that Tesla has been posting on their website plans to put in Superchargers not only downtown, but in the 4 "regions" (NW, NE, SW, and SE) of Portland which could accommodate free parking for Superchargers (actually posting since 2017). The fact that Tesla plans to put more Superchargers in the city that is the topic of this post makes it relevant IMO. If it is not to you, you are welcome to ignore the post, but others may find helpful.

Reactions: agegamon
There is some free parking close to downtown in big cities. Electrify America has been partnering with Bank of America it seems to use their parking lots and almost all bank parking lots are free. They're not necessarily downtown in the central core but they are usually right on the edges of the highrises.

There is some free parking close to downtown in big cities. Electrify America has been partnering with Bank of America it seems to use their parking lots and almost all bank parking lots are free. They're not necessarily downtown in the central core but they are usually right on the edges of the highrises.
I would assume also small and probably wouldn’t lend well to 8-20 spot busy superchargers…

Reactions: Rocky_H
New Supercharger coming to Portland in the Fox Tower parking garage (805 SW Broadway). Both permits are currently under review so this site probably won’t be ready for Tesla’s Q1 projected date.

Quoted from one of the permits:
“Install (8) [Tesla] Supercharger stalls in the Fox Tower parking garage, (4) in the first phase and (4) in phase II”
Update: Both permits were issued in the last week. Construction will be on Level P4

Reactions: mociaf9
Rocky, my post was not stating there is free parking in downtown Portland. Only that Portland has other nice areas that are not as close in that you can put free Supercharger parking. I'll note that Tesla has been posting on their website plans to put in Superchargers not only downtown, but in the 4 "regions" (NW, NE, SW, and SE) of Portland which could accommodate free parking for Superchargers (actually posting since 2017). The fact that Tesla plans to put more Superchargers in the city that is the topic of this post makes it relevant IMO. If it is not to you, you are welcome to ignore the post, but others may find helpful.
Portland has sufficient supercharger capacity on its suburbs as well as the planned ones. I'd rather petition they be urban chargers since you're more likely to be away for an extended period of time. Also, I'd rather petition for CCS adapters.
Superchargers primary intent was for long distance travel. A side effect is people in dense urban areas with no easy access to chargers. Tesla has the business-backed destination charger more for convenience and the supercharger Network based on distance travel needs and site availability. Not to say either is exclusive.

Part of me just screams unfair when there's barely any semblance of enough chargers in eastern Nevada.

Reactions: Araman0
They serve different audiences. As a Seattelite, when I visit Portland it would be great to have a supercharger downtown where we could do stuff. As a Portlandier who lives in an apartment, it may be more convinient to supercharge in a retail parking lot in the city where errands can be run. They each have their own use cases, and neither one is “more ideal”.

The FOX Tower is in the heart of downtown and a very good location. Inner NE Portland somewhere around the Lloyd Center and Broadway would be pretty convenient. NW 23rd near Glisan is a very pedestrian-centric area and not too easy for cars to access. Somewhere near NW Thurman or Vaughn would be more easily accessible to both locals and to Interstate travelers. A charger off the Terwilliger or Multnomah Blvd Exits (I05 South) would be convenient for everybody, too.

I know this won’t be popular with others in the area, but five SCs “in the area” looks pretty good to me. I, literally, cannot get to Portland without The Dalles (an old, 5 stall SC, that has had several, serious, outages). On my last trip, I was lucky to make it from Sandy, after a 100% charge, to Kennewick (because I had the ubiquitous 15-20 mi tailwind). Going west, against the wind, forget it. Enjoy each and every SC out there, and constantly ask for more.

I know this won’t be popular with others in the area, but five SCs “in the area” looks pretty good to me. I, literally, cannot get to Portland without The Dalles (an old, 5 stall SC, that has had several, serious, outages). On my last trip, I was lucky to make it from Sandy, after a 100% charge, to Kennewick (because I had the ubiquitous 15-20 mi tailwind). Going west, against the wind, forget it. Enjoy each and every SC out there, and constantly ask for more.
Even a new Model Y likely would have this issue too. The other day I estimated I could JUST make it (but would hit Portland scary low) and today ABetterRoutePlanner see's an 11mph headwind and shows 334 wh/mi to get there and is saying I have to stop even if I say I'm ok with hitting Portland with 1% battery left. I'm really really surprised this route hasn't had either the Dalles upgraded to a larger location and/or a V3 site AND somewhere east of that built out, or Dalles left alone until it hits it's end of life and Hood River started and somewhere east started...

Even a new Model Y likely would have this issue too. The other day I estimated I could JUST make it (but would hit Portland scary low) and today ABetterRoutePlanner see's an 11mph headwind and shows 334 wh/mi to get there and is saying I have to stop even if I say I'm ok with hitting Portland with 1% battery left. I'm really really surprised this route hasn't had either the Dalles upgraded to a larger location and/or a V3 site AND somewhere east of that built out, or Dalles left alone until it hits it's end of life and Hood River started and somewhere east started...

Of the SCs I've been to, the Dalles is my least favorite, by far. It's disappointing.

I can just barely make it to Tri-cities in my 3 from Portland, if I leave with 100% charge. Even then, its dicey, usually with the headwind it's not doable. Coming back to Portland, I'm not waiting 50+mins (assuming someone doesn't gank my charge rate) at the V2 in tri-cities. Lately, when I go there, I'm also the last one to show up, which usually means I'm cutting someone's rate.

Portland needs a few more SCs that are in reasonable locations (i.e. not in the middle of downtown) but before any of that happens I'd rather that they hurry up and get a 8-12 stall V3 installed at Boardman, per their website.

Of the SCs I've been to, the Dalles is my least favorite, by far. It's disappointing.

I can just barely make it to Tri-cities in my 3 from Portland, if I leave with 100% charge. Even then, its dicey, usually with the headwind it's not doable. Coming back to Portland, I'm not waiting 50+mins (assuming someone doesn't gank my charge rate) at the V2 in tri-cities. Lately, when I go there, I'm also the last one to show up, which usually means I'm cutting someone's rate.

Portland needs a few more SCs that are in reasonable locations (i.e. not in the middle of downtown) but before any of that happens I'd rather that they hurry up and get a 8-12 stall V3 installed at Boardman, per their website.
Boardman got the axe.... at least it's not on the site any more. Hood River should be coming though

Reactions: agegamon
Boardman got the axe.... at least it's not on the site any more. Hood River should be coming though
Ughhhhhh.... yeah, I just saw that today lol. Actually, Hood river would be great too. As long as it's at least ~8 V3 stalls, it should be in a good location and would probably meet demand for the near future.

On the flip side, going to do Bend this weekend and looks like SC spacing is pretty good. Pretty long distance between Sandy SC and Bend, but as long as it's not cold that trip works well. Frankly, most paths out of PDX have SCs now.

Still wish there was a SC on the east side. The EA chargers at the Clackamas Target usually aren't busy, but every time I try to use the CHADEMO there it seems like I show up when it's in use!

There’s a Fred Meyer right near the intersection of I-5 & I-205 in Tualatin/Nyberg and one in Troutdale/Wood Village just off of I-84. Paging Tesla. Perfect locations, previous experience with SCs at Fred’s all throughout WA/OR. Let’s go. Edit: email sent to Tesla.
67F90E33-39DD-4295-BF4A-53F2DC037FE8.jpeg

84E50013-0C8C-483E-922E-3274C228A481.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: