Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest to navigate near to SC, and then 10-15 miles before arrival - change navigation to SC. it will precondition enough
I did that on my return journey yesterday. I changed navigation to the SC 15 miles before. It cost me 4 miles and saved 40 seconds. No thank you.

I remember when I got my first Tesla 7 years ago Musk stated they will never profit from charging! Wonder if Boris is related to Musk?

I'm sticking with it being a bug in the code. Not sure why people who berate Tesla developers for everything else, think that they're clever enough to scam a tenner out of every car :)
it could be deliberate, by the CEO.

You remember there's that long standing joke, that if you take away 4th digit after the dot on every bank transaction/interest, it will not be noticeable on the single line, but on the grand scheme of things it becomes millions... they did something like that in the movie Office Space ;)

if you can make a tenner from each supercharger session, and let's say pure profit is just 1 pound/dollar, out of 10.000 charges world wide each day (number straight out of my head, in reality probably more), then you have 3.65 million of pure profit freedom dollars. not bad, I would say

You remember there's that long standing joke, that if you take away 4th digit after the dot on every bank transaction/interest, it will not be noticeable on the single line, but on the grand scheme of things it becomes millions... they did something like that in the movie Office Space ;)
But it doesn't explain why sometimes it under estimates arrival SOC. Crap coders ticks all the boxes :)

I did that on my return journey yesterday. I changed navigation to the SC 15 miles before. It cost me 4 miles and saved 40 seconds. No thank you.

I remember when I got my first Tesla 7 years ago Musk stated they will never profit from charging! Wonder if Boris is related to Musk?
Did you happen to notice how much energy you put in the car vs the range added?

But it doesn't explain why sometimes it under estimates arrival SOC. Crap coders ticks all the boxes :)
never had such instance where it underestimated. I do not look at like 1-2 % difference as this just depends on the way you drive.

if car estimates arrival on speed limit (70 mph) and you drive 80, well...

I usually set my AP/TACC at 72 mph (speed awareness course still in force...) then it is always within 1-2% of original arrival SOC at the start of departure (it dips in the beginning of drive, recovers by the end). but it never ever underestimated actual arrival.

maybe once, when I had super strong headwinds for half of the journey

I usually set my AP/TACC at 72 mph (speed awareness course still in force...) then it is always within 1-2% of original arrival SOC at the start of departure (it dips in the beginning of drive, recovers by the end). but it never ever underestimated actual arrival.
Sorry, quickly drifting off topic but has anyone noticed that the speedo is extremely accurate on 3/Ys?
20y of driving experience I always had a good 3-5mph difference between the car speedo and what was displayed on 'educational radars' on the road, but when I'm in the Tesla, 20mph = 20mph.
Since then I've always been afraid to set my usual 2-3mph above the limit as I feel this would trigger a flash...

Sorry, quickly drifting off topic but has anyone noticed that the speedo is extremely accurate on 3/Ys?
20y of driving experience I always had a good 3-5mph difference between the car speedo and what was displayed on 'educational radars' on the road, but when I'm in the Tesla, 20mph = 20mph.
Since then I've always been afraid to set my usual 2-3mph above the limit as I feel this would trigger a flash...
May be not accurate you mean???

Outside radars normally record slightly lower speed limit compared to the car one given the various interferences - read somewhere!

See my earlier post with graph - just because the message is on doesn't mean the heater is on all that time.

Some perspective here, but TeslaFi and probably others keep a note of how much time was actually used to warm the battery, so I can share that from a 1-1/2 hour, 80 mile trip, the car was preheating for 62% of that time, so nearly an hour. No idea what the message on the screen said but this does show that it can be on for a significant proportion of the drive.

Compare that to one where I cancelled the supercharge stop until the final parts of the trip, 11% over a 2-1/2 hour drive. That was 50Wh/mile better efficiency.

So the whole DEV team (and a number of managers etc. etc.) is in on the con. and no one is blowing the whistle? That's a big stretch ...

has anyone noticed that the speedo is extremely accurate on 3/Ys?

All the Tesla's we have had have been more accurate than previous marques.

Not sure how accurate road side reminders are ... I go by what SatNav says (ideally on a straight/level piece of road at a constant speed)

Some perspective here, but TeslaFi and probably others keep a note of how much time was actually used to warm the battery, so I can share that from a 1-1/2 hour, 80 mile trip, the car was preheating for 62% of that time, so nearly an hour. No idea what the message on the screen said but this does show that it can be on for a significant proportion of the drive.

Compare that to one where I cancelled the supercharge stop until the final parts of the trip, 11% over a 2-1/2 hour drive. That was 50Wh/mile better efficiency.
You'll probably find that if you cancel the pre-conditioning the battery heater will go on during the charge and not if you don't cancel.
I've only looked at a few drives/charges but the data I''m getting with Teslamate shows the car heating during the charge if not pre-conditioned.
Likely a zero sum game as @WllXM says.

never had such instance where it underestimated. I do not look at like 1-2 % difference as this just depends on the way you drive.

if car estimates arrival on speed limit (70 mph) and you drive 80, well...

maybe once, when I had super strong headwinds for half of the journey
I've had it underestimate when charging. Not when the drive doesn't include a charging stop.
So if it is a massive conspiracy then the coders are just as rubbish at that as they are with everything else :)

yes, it is extremely accurate - check with any gps...

but.. it does not trigger flash if only 1-2 miles above. especially on motorway ;)

So the whole DEV team (and a number of managers etc. etc.) is in on the con. and no one is blowing the whistle? That's a big stretch ...

All the Tesla's we have had have been more accurate than previous marques.

Not sure how accurate road side reminders are ... I go by what SatNav says (ideally on a straight/level piece of road at a constant speed)
it can be - you have NDA, bonuses etc :/

Not a single whistleblower? I don't believe it - the bounty for such information would be massive ... not to mention careless-talk that then gets into public domain and all the rest of it. Mass corporate fraud of that type is incredibly hard to keep under wraps - good job too.
I men, it could be bug... and once discovered - everyone's happy. could be, could be not. I do not know.

Not a single whistleblower? I don't believe it - the bounty for such information would be massive ... not to mention careless-talk that then gets into public domain and all the rest of it. Mass corporate fraud of that type is incredibly hard to keep under wraps - good job too.
I'm guessing no other car manufacturer would be interested in having that sort of info about Tesla ;)

You'll probably find that if you cancel the pre-conditioning the battery heater will go on during the charge and not if you don't cancel.
I've only looked at a few drives/charges but the data I''m getting with Teslamate shows the car heating during the charge if not pre-conditioned.
It can get turned on during the charge irrespective of preheating during the journey.
1677864653892.png

Reactions: Rooster6655