Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you get a timeline of the heating when charging? I've seen it on when charging after pre-heating but only for a short period of time. When not pre-heated its on all the time.
It had battery heater turned on for first 5 minutes then again briefly part way through. So around 20% of the time.

An earlier supercharge where I manually triggered the supercharge preheat (didn't tell it to nav to supercharger until probably final 10-20 mins of a 2-1/2 hour leg ) it was on approx 50% of the charge.

So yes, on these occasions battery heater was on for less time (20% vs 50%) when letting car navigate to supercharger from the outset, but it was still on for a not insignificant amount of time - ~20% of charge.

IMO it’s a zero sum game and all that’s really achieved by lots of people not properly navigating to Superchargers is (a) the mothership has less complete data on which to base the re-routing of cars to alternative SCs likely to have better available capacity, and (b) charging takes longer.

(Additionally, all those who are heading to SCs and are navigating to them properly also get less reliable information about possible wait times)

The potential, if not probable result from both (a) and (b) is more queuing, and less satisfaction - which is probably the main reason why Tesla (and I) would like it if everyone could just use it as intended, please.

Last edited:
IMO it’s a zero sum game and all that’s really achieved by lots of people not properly navigating to Superchargers is (a) the mothership has less complete data on which to base the re-routing of cars to alternative SCs likely to have better available capacity, and (b) charging takes longer.

(Additionally, all those who are heading to SCs and are navigating to them properly also get less reliable information about possible wait times)

The potential, if not probable result from both (a) and (b) is more queuing, and less satisfaction - which is probably the main reason why Tesla (and I) would like it if everyone could just use it as intended, please.
The mothership should stop taking the piss, then. Stop blaming customers for "holding it wrong".

Reactions: Davva and CWT3LR

If the world was perfect, you might be right. The reality is far from this though.

1) The preconditioning that happens doesn't take into account the likely charging speed you are going to be able to get from your supercharger stop (sure, 250kW sounds great, but at Tebay with a shared v2 charger, you're going to get 65kW maximum).

2) I doubt Tesla has enough information about cars en-route regardless - some Tesla cars will stop and charge (if there's a free charger) when they hadn't planned to originally anyway.

3) Given Tesla are opening up their charging network to other cars, and they aren't going to track those cars, it's pointless (and increasingly so) to use the en-route information anyway.

4) The actual reality is that unless you're going to be able to get 250kW charging (or at least more than 65kW charging) - it's quite possible you're going to end up making more charging stops for longer if you use preconditioning. Not always of course, but definitely possible.

For me - preconditioning simply sucks away my range, slows me down and increases the frequency of my stops and increases the cost of charging. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Tesla simply hasn't got this "right" (for the driver).

I won't be using it.

If the world was perfect, you might be right. The reality is far from this though.

1) The preconditioning that happens doesn't take into account the likely charging speed you are going to be able to get from your supercharger stop (sure, 250kW sounds great, but at Tebay with a shared v2 charger, you're going to get 65kW maximum).

2) I doubt Tesla has enough information about cars en-route regardless - some Tesla cars will stop and charge (if there's a free charger) when they hadn't planned to originally anyway.

3) Given Tesla are opening up their charging network to other cars, and they aren't going to track those cars, it's pointless (and increasingly so) to use the en-route information anyway.

4) The actual reality is that unless you're going to be able to get 250kW charging (or at least more than 65kW charging) - it's quite possible you're going to end up making more charging stops for longer if you use preconditioning. Not always of course, but definitely possible.

For me - preconditioning simply sucks away my range, slows me down and increases the frequency of my stops and increases the cost of charging. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Tesla simply hasn't got this "right" (for the driver).

I won't be using it.
Well, the only incentive Tesla would have to encourage owners navigating to SCs again would be the ability to 'reserve' a stall.
(With a fair use: use the intelligence they have to only hold like 5 mins before arrival, not preventing someone that could be in&out before the actual arrival time / and use a penalty system for SC held with a no-show / minimum kWh charging requirement).
Would make the experience great especially at very busy stations.

Reactions: ringi
Well, the only incentive Tesla would have to encourage owners navigating to SCs again would be the ability to 'reserve' a stall.
(With a fair use: use the intelligence they have to only hold like 5 mins before arrival, not preventing someone that could be in&out before the actual arrival time / and use a penalty system for SC held with a no-show / minimum kWh charging requirement).
Would make the experience great especially at very busy stations.
Yup nothing could possibly go wrong with that. You show up someone is in your stall scratching their head over why they can't charge and you rock up and tell them to do one.

Reactions: Rooster6655
At the Investor day they did say they are going to roll out routing updates that will be aware of current and upcoming charger location activity levels and flex the routing if it can. Won't solve every problem but will be a positive step.

Reactions: ringi
Don't navigate specifically to the SC. I've sometimes cancelled the nav and only put the SC in there when I'm 10 minutes away ... invariably I'm Supercharging when I've been driving for a length of time on a motorway so the battery is going to be reasonably warm anyway.
Can do this when driving in and around known superchargers. On a road trip the car will chose the supercharging stops by itself. Following the navigation will start pre heating the battery when it feels the need cause Tesla knows that you’re headed to a SC.

Can do this when driving in and around known superchargers. On a road trip the car will chose the supercharging stops by itself. Following the navigation will start pre heating the battery when it feels the need cause Tesla knows that you’re headed to a SC.
You can remove the auto SC stops added by the navigation and just replace them by a pin by long pressing your finger on the map. Won't trigger preconditioning this way.

You can remove the auto SC stops added by the navigation and just replace them by a pin by long pressing your finger on the map. Won't trigger preconditioning this way.
Sure.
But in terms of user experience that’s a pain in the arse (that I don’t wanna have).
Eventually it’s supposed to make my life easier, not the other way round. That’s the first reason why I think people buy Teslas.
Else BMW i4 is also awesome (for most M3 population), so is Taycan (for the MS population) etc.
But Tesla’s promise eventually is to make EV ownership hassle free.

Reactions: Horatio Alger
I think you can just tap the preconditioning note and it stops charging? or does it just make the notice go away and it still preconditions? Dropped into heston after picking my new car up a couple of days ago and it immediately popped up 'preconditioning for faster charging' and I tapped it and it went away. I didn't pay attention after that though :)

Also its quite naggy when new. I got home late last night so the headlights were on. When I put it in park it popped up with a little notification 'enjoy a light show while you're parked - click here to try it'. Er, no thanks... odd.

I think you can just tap the preconditioning note and it stops charging? or does it just make the notice go away and it still preconditions? Dropped into heston after picking my new car up a couple of days ago and it immediately popped up 'preconditioning for faster charging' and I tapped it and it went away. I didn't pay attention after that though :)

Also its quite naggy when new. I got home late last night so the headlights were on. When I put it in park it popped up with a little notification 'enjoy a light show while you're parked - click here to try it'. Er, no thanks... odd.
the latter I believe

Reactions: Mrklaw