Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pricing spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There used to be a page that you could see Supercharging pricing, but it appears they no longer maintain it.

Here's a spreadsheet for building Supercharger pricing. It's pretty rough. If anybody is better and wants to take this and do it better, please let me have your link?

I'm going to spend a little time on it, lover it if others want to help.

Google Sheets: Sign-in
Access Denied to spreadsheet. Just took a trip from PA to Vegas, up to Montana & back. Hit about 50 superchargers. Average was over 40 cents / kWh. Close to gas prices and three times the cost of home electric. Too much monopoly/profit going on, and not good for EVs if road trip cost is same as gas.

You're not going to find a good source for that, because Tesla changes it too frequently, and it varies from site to site even within states. And it's not published anywhere openly on a web page that could be scraped for the information. It's only viewable from the display inside the cars, so it's going to be out of date within a week or two anyway.

Reactions: GtiMart
Access Denied to spreadsheet. Just took a trip from PA to Vegas, up to Montana & back. Hit about 50 superchargers. Average was over 40 cents / kWh. Close to gas prices and three times the cost of home electric. Too much monopoly/profit going on, and not good for EVs if road trip cost is same as gas.

Most people using Superchargers are paying for convenience, not just electricity, so paying more (even 3X more) than what you pay for electricity at home is not necessarily unjustified (I just paid $12.99 for a salad at a restaurant last night that was about 1/4 a container of mixed greens that is about $5 at the store and some shredded parmesan sprinkled on top). I do feel that those with no home charging capability and rely on Superchargers should have access to some kind of discount plan, but while on an occasional road trip, paying a premium is to be expected (particularly since electricity rates include a demand fee component which can be significantly higher than what you pay at home if you are on a time-of-use plan).

Close to gas? $0.40/kWh translates to about about $0.10/mile, which for sure is much higher than the usual $0.03/mile for home-based charging, but what is the cost per mile for a gas car these day? At $4.50/gallon, you'd have to be driving a 45mpg car to get $0.10/mile. I guess not out of the question, but according to fueleconomy.gov, your choices are: Toyota Prius (Hybrid and PHEV); Hyundai Ioniq (Hybrid and ICE); Hyundai Elantra (Hybrid), Honda Insight (ICE), Toyota Corolla (hybrid), Toyota Camry (hybrid); Hyundai Sonota (Hybrid), Kia Niro (ICE); Honda Accord (Hybrid). You did say "close", of course, so I'm sure there are some more options slightly below that fuel economy rating. Add in L2 charging at the beginning/end of each travel day, and the cost for the trip can come down quite a bit more.

Just took a trip from PA to Vegas, up to Montana & back. Hit about 50 superchargers. Average was over 40 cents / kWh. Close to gas prices and three times the cost of home electric. Too much monopoly/profit going on, and not good for EVs if road trip cost is same as gas.
You're right. I see why many are getting the CCS adaptor and using EA. I'm picking one up myself and will compare.

Reactions: CyberPilot
EA near me is $0.43/kWh if you are not a subscriber; $0.31/kWh if you have Pass+ membership ($4/mo). If I'm not mistaken, the Superchargers in my area are $0.58/kWh during peak times and half that off-peak. CCS charging can be cheaper in some (many?) cases and would be quite beneficial on trips where SC coverage is not ideal.

Yeah, you have to ask for approval. Sorry, that's how the Google Drive Account is set up.
On the flip side, if someone intentionally messes things up there is accountability and control.

Some of these prices change pretty dramatically due to tou or electricity provider, so going another little bit can matter.

Not sure if anyone would reference a spreadsheet of prices even if it were up to date. Now if that data could be shared easily...

The iPhone app 'Superchargers' would be a good place to get that info out, or 'Plugshare' of course. Should be two way, so when you are charging and checking in, you can include what the current price is (pun unavoidable). I have been trying to update the Pricing in Plugshare for Superchargers as I pass, but the problem is there isn't a standard format, so you can't sort on your route by cheapest price. Now if someone did a Gas Buddy style app for EVs that allowed you to look for the cheapest price nearby and along a route...

A guy can dream

Most people using Superchargers are paying for convenience, not just electricity,
At $4.50/gallon,
Add in L2 charging at the beginning/end of each travel day
Okay, I get what you are saying, but I would still take exception to 3 things you stated (above):
"Most" ... for "Convenience"? Not really ... I haven't used our convenient "home" supercharger in a year ... and we didn't have a choice on our road trip. Pretty much mandatory to use Superchargers (1 time in 15 days we plugged into a a lvl2 for an hour for 'insurance' between Nebraska and Kansas)
$4.50? End of June - We saw gas prices as low as $4.70 on up to $5.99. I got 287 wH / mile. So, yes, better than ICE, but it is CLOSE, and really not much to brag about like we are able to do when talking home charging.
L2 for each travel day? No. I specifically looked for hotels with L2 charging, and we were able to hit about 4 out of 14 nights - and it is not easy to plan on arriving 'empty', and chargers are never guaranteed. So not much benefit to 'free' hotel charging.
My thoughts are still, EVs win hands down tooling around home, but on road trips they certainly do not beat the snot out of ICE vehicles - and you do have to plan routes around access to superchargers. It's doable, we just did it, it's just not easy yet.

"Most" ... for "Convenience"? Not really ... I haven't used our convenient "home" supercharger in a year ... and we didn't have a choice on our road trip.
The fact that they exist on your road trip IS the convenience.
It's doable, we just did it, it's just not easy yet.
Heh, I'm not sure you know what it was like back in 2013-2015 or so when the Superchargers weren't there. THAT was doable but not easy. Now is very easy by comparison.

If you want to read about charging here is an Excellent Read. If you're looking for a book to read while waiting to charge at your favorite Supercharger here it is.

I picked this up from a lending library and couldn't put it down until I finished the whole book and I'm a real s_l_o_w reader.

Imagine driving a Model S from Louisiana to PANAMA in 2016! You won't put this book down.

Enjoy.

-stew

Reactions: Tedkidd
Okay, I get what you are saying, but I would still take exception to 3 things you stated (above):
"Most" ... for "Convenience"? Not really ... I haven't used our convenient "home" supercharger in a year ... and we didn't have a choice on our road trip.
Thank you to @Rocky_H for adding the clarification. As he said, the convenience of Supercharging on a trip is that you don't have to sit for hours at an L2 or destination charger that is not at a location you are already spending hours at already.

If you don't like the price of a Supercharger (as you said, it's 3X the cost of home charging), then use home charging. What? You can't because you're on a road trip and not near home? Now maybe the point I was trying to make becomes clearer.

$4.50? End of June - We saw gas prices as low as $4.70 on up to $5.99. I got 287 wH / mile. So, yes, better than ICE, but it is CLOSE, and really not much to brag about like we are able to do when talking home charging.
I guess I didn't realize the goal was to be able to brag! :)

L2 for each travel day? No. I specifically looked for hotels with L2 charging, and we were able to hit about 4 out of 14 nights - and it is not easy to plan on arriving 'empty', and chargers are never guaranteed. So not much benefit to 'free' hotel charging.
For sure not every place has charging, and you're correct: it's never guaranteed. And I suspect it's much harder to find in out of the way places like Montana, but here are the J1772 or Destination charger options along the route from PA to Vegas:
1658767984013.png

Admittedly, some of these are campgrounds (not sure how to easily separate out campgrounds from hotels in the "lodging" filter in Plugshare), but doesn't seem like there is a real shortage of options if you really wanted to take advantage of overnight L2 charging. I've found that I can usually call the hotel in question and ask if they can block off the charging station for me that they are usually happy to do so. I just stayed at a Hampton Inn that actually located their charging station in one of the most inconvenient parking spots in the whole property, so I think they have actually figured out how to prevent ICEing!

As for planning on arriving 'empty', if you find it hard to do that, you're probably doing something wrong. Even the car itself will do a reasonable job of letting you know when you can leave the preceding Supercharger to show up with 10% at your destination (the hotel). If you have a reasonably high level of confidence in the charger being available (check Plugshare checkins, and call the hotel directly) or have a backup plan in case it winds up not being available, then you should certainly be able to arrive at 10%.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: israndy and Tedkidd