Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hickory, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everbody has their personal preferences about what works best for them, but I much prefer this location for myself compared to statesville. My prefered route to charlotte from NE TN involves I-40 to US 321. So this allows a quick charge on the way to or from Charlotte for me. Now if Tesla could just put another supercharger in Columbia on I-26....

Reactions: Drucifer
The Sheetz in Hickory will actually be a perfect location for a supercharger. It's literally under a minute from I-40. It's a 24/7 convenience store with restrooms, prepped-to-order food, and an eat-in dining area.

The Statesville site would have been super inconvenient and out of the way for I-40 users, just like Wytheville is currently for drivers who don't need to go in that direction past I-77. Hitting Wytheville adds over 20 minutes of driving time to my trips in the area, so I prefer to skip it when possible. I likely never even would have bothered to go to Statesville, personally, for the same reason. I suspect most I-40 folks would skip it, too, and just continue doing Burlington to Asheville nonstop as we have been instead of going ~15-20 minutes out of the way to use a charger off I-77 south of Statesville. Only those who absolutely need to suffer that inconvenience would likely bother. So, I suspect it would be an underutilized site.

The Hickory location will cover the I-40 gap between Burlington and Asheville perfectly with a site quickly reached from I-40, making it viable to do quick stops in Burlington/Asheville vs extended charges.

I-77 doesn't *need* coverage in Statesville, since Charlotte to Wytheville is only 132 miles... doable in any Tesla vehicle easily.

Burlington to Asheville, on the other hand, is 192 miles and includes a steep mountain climb in the westbound direction... pretty much a range anxiety nightmare for the lower range Model S/X vehicles. Hickory would put a site only 110 miles from Burlington, and would be closer to the mountains so that more of a buffer is possible on that side of the trip. A round trip from Hickory to Asheville could be done using just the Hickory charger even in the Model X 60.

Overall, an excellent choice for a location, and not just because it's 5 miles from my house.

The SC in Charlotte is off I-85 and requires a 30 - 40 minute detour from I-77 assuming no heavy traffic (which is never true during the day). Columbia, SC to Statesvile is about 135 miles and is doable for all Teslas. Statesville to Wytheville is another 100 miles.

The SC in Charlotte is off I-85 and requires a 30 - 40 minute detour from I-77 assuming no heavy traffic (which is never true during the day). Columbia, SC to Statesvile is about 135 miles and is doable for all Teslas. Statesville to Wytheville is another 100 miles.

Charlotte Supercharger is 7 miles and 9-10 minutes via I-485/Mallard Creek Road from I-77. Where do you get 30-40 minute detour from?

• Helpful
Reactions: Trailblazer
I've actually done it. Check Google maps. Also remember it it is 15 minutes (without traffic) from I-77 then another 15 minutes back to I-77, for a total of 30 minutes, minimum.

But southbound, I would go I-485 - Mallard Creek Rd. - supercharge - Mallard Creek Rd. I-85 back to I-77
and northbound, the opposite, which buys you some I-77 miles through the construction zone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trailblazer
But southbound, I would go I-485 - Mallard Creek Rd. - supercharge - Mallard Creek Rd. I-85 back to I-77
and northbound, the opposite, which buys you some I-77 miles through the construction zone.

Would save a few minutes sometimes. However, in heavy traffic, you have to exit I-85 onto I-77 which backs up and could cost you more time than it saves. Point is the Charlotte SC isn't convenient to I-77 IMHO. I predict that in the not too distant future there will be a SC on I-77 in Charlotte, particularly if they build in Hickory rather than Statesville. If Tesla puts one on I-77 in Charlotte (which needs another SC in its own right), there is no need for one in Statesville

Traveling from Hilton Head to Columbus, OH both the current Charlotte SC site and the proposed Hickory SC site are inconvenient. Statesville is much better from an I-77 perspective and no worse from an I-40 perspective.Given those two choices instead of Statesville I'll choose Charlotte and just grumble while I am stuck in the Charlotte construction web that never seems to end.

Traveling from Hilton Head to Columbus, OH both the current Charlotte SC site and the proposed Hickory SC site are inconvenient. Statesville is much better from an I-77 perspective and no worse from an I-40 perspective.Given those two choices instead of Statesville I'll choose Charlotte and just grumble while I am stuck in the Charlotte construction web that never seems to end.
Hit is Columbus owners up for lunch when you come through. We can talk all about Bluffton and our trips down to palmetto.

There is only gridlock and road construction on I-77 from the South Carolina state line to Statesville. What's to grumble about? :confused:

Would save a few minutes sometimes. However, in heavy traffic, you have to exit I-85 onto I-77 which backs up and could cost you more time than it saves. Point is the Charlotte SC isn't convenient to I-77 IMHO. I predict that in the not too distant future there will be a SC on I-77 in Charlotte, particularly if they build in Hickory rather than Statesville. If Tesla puts one on I-77 in Charlotte (which needs another SC in its own right), there is no need for one in Statesville

I would hope it would be near I-85 and I 485 on the west side of Charlotte, that would cover I-77 (by taking the I-485 loop instead of I-77 as well as help on the west side of Charlotte. Time will tell.