Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger rate increase and cost of electricity in San Diego area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Moderator note: the first 11 posts in this thread were moved from a thread in the California Supercharger forum because the discussion is about the the cost of charging at home vs. the cost of using Superchargers in the San Diego area after the recent Supercharger rate increase).

Worse than Carlsbad. That one is 31 cent. For a Model S that is 10.15 cent/mile or 8.23 cent/mile for a Model 3.
A Prius at 50 mpg and $3/gal costs 6 cent/mile.
My wife’s Lexus LS460 at 23 mpg and $ 3.1/gal costs 13.5 cent/mile.
Charging at home makes a huge difference at 12 cent/kWh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KerryOH
Does the price go down during off-peak hours? For residential EV-TOU customers, SDG&E peak is 1600-2100 (4-9 pm) daily. Super-off-peak is 0000-0600 on weekdays and 0000-1400 on weekends, so weekends would be a more convenient time to check.

During March and April, when there's a lot of solar generation but little HVAC demand, there's an additional daily super-off-peak period from 1000-1400.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Still. More incentive to charge at home if you don’t live in an apartment without charger.
I also got lucky. Our condo complex was the first in Carmel Valley to receive 8 free J1772 chargers from SDG&E in Jan 2018.
They still have this program. Anyone in a condo complex should talk to their condo management.

What’s next, an “all you can eat” plan from SDG&E?;)

Are there any downsides to switching to EV-TOU-5 from EV-TOU-2 other than the $16 fixed monthly service fee? Has that $16 fee changed since the rate plan became available? I’m wondering how much SDG&E is going to be playing with this fee. Also, is there a fee to change rate plans and can you switch back when you want or are you locked into the new plan for X months?

Yes. But even with the fee, it’s saved me enough money to make up for the changes to the TOU time periods that put it out of sync with my solar production.

Are there any downsides to switching to EV-TOU-5 from EV-TOU-2 other than the $16 fixed monthly service fee? Has that $16 fee changed since the rate plan became available? I’m wondering how much SDG&E is going to be playing with this fee. Also, is there a fee to change rate plans and can you switch back when you want or are you locked into the new plan for X months?

I think you can only switch plans once per year, but there’s no fee to change. This plan has only existed since mid-2018, and I don’t think the $16 fee has changed in that time.

The downside, if you have solar, is that the 9 cent super off peak rate extends into the afternoons on weekends, which reduces the value of solar.

I do have solar and didn’t think about the reduced credit for excess solar on weekends from sunrise to 2 PM. That is harder to calculate but it will increase the break even point for the $16 fixed cost. But the EV-TOU-5 plan seems to be ideal for a homes without solar with one or two EVs that are driven regularly.

I think you can only switch plans once per year, but there’s no fee to change. This plan has only existed since mid-2018, and I don’t think the $16 fee has changed in that time.

The downside, if you have solar, is that the 9 cent super off peak rate extends into the afternoons on weekends, which reduces the value of solar.

EV-TOU-5 and EV-TOU-2 use the same TOU periods, so it just comes down to the cost per kWh at the different times, unless you're on the EV-TOU-2 grandfathered plan. To make a long story short, SDG&E changes the rates for the peak, semi, and off periods to their advantage -- no surprise. So, if you're on the grandfathered plan, your peak time is still 11-5 pm sure, but the cost of peak is much less than the peak rate for the non-grandfathered plan. So when you're overproducing, you get paid less. I run the numbers on the different plans and for me the best is EV-TOU-5. We have 10 kW solar power, 3 powerwalls, and 2 EVs -- so your mileage may vary.

You should be able to log on to the SDG&E page, then choose plans and it will compute your cost for that plan using your last year's historical data. A BIG caveat though is you will probably change your use pattern to match your new TOU plan so comparing plans with different TOU periods is not accurate. For example, my old SES plan had off-peak starting at 10 pm and ending at 6 am. On TOU-5 off-peak starts at midnight through 6 am. I had both cars set up to start charging at 10 pm so when looking historically that period between 10 pm and midnight (where most of the charging took place) was way expensive on the TOU-5 historical look. Since I switched I charge starting at midnight -- and of course it is a big savings. I go back and compute what my rate would be at these other plans to see how much I'm saving and it's a lot.

Just looking at my last month. This includes the $16 fee for the TOU-5 plan.
EV-TOU-5: $36.55
EV-TOU-2: $160.77
Tiered plan: $190.43
Tiered without solar (oh my!): $678.98

Looking back at a very hot (lots of AC) summer month -- end of July, first 1/2 of August:
EV-TOU-5: $111.89
EV-TOU-2: $265.39
Tiered: $623.03
Tiered w/o solar: $1532.07

Part of my savings is I can charge my powerwalls during semi-peak during the week and during off-peak on the weekends and use that power to coast through peak time. There are times when it's really hot and both ACs are running that it eats through my reserve before peak time is over.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus