Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very grateful for superchargers and they honestly were a factor in choosing to buy a Tesla. BUT, rates went up 30% from when I put a deposit on my car to when I bought it. Now they are $0.26/kWh for me and that is DOUBLE what I pay at home (off-peak). I kind of think of it like if you are used to paying $4/gal, but on trips you have to pay $8/gal. So, I really don't use Superchargers unless I have to (maybe that's the goal?) because I'm just that cheap. Here's the thing though, why is Tesla offering Semis a guaranteed rate of $0.07? I'm just thinking about it now. I'd like some of that action 7 cents action....

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am very grateful for superchargers and they honestly were a factor in choosing to buy a Tesla. BUT, rates went up 30% from when I put a deposit on my car to when I bought it. Now they are $0.26/kWh for me and that is DOUBLE what I pay at home (off-peak). I kind of think of it like if you are used to paying $4/gal, but on trips you have to pay $8/gal. So, I really don't use Superchargers unless I have to (maybe that's the goal?) because I'm just that cheap. Here's the thing though, why is Tesla offering Semis a guaranteed rate of $0.07? I'm just thinking about it now. I'd like some of that action 7 cents action....

Lets say on a roadtrip you supercharge your battery to 90%. From 10%-90% thats about 58kwh used, assuming the 75kwh battery has a max usable of 72kwh. You know what, lets just say 60kwh used.

60kwh charge: $15.60.

For $15.60 you can drive ~270 miles.

In an ICE car, $15.80 buys you ~5 gallons of gas, probably far less in CA. Assuming 30mpg, that $15.80 in gas only gets you 150 miles. In a prius at 50mpg, thats 250 miles, which is somewhat similar.

So no, charging a model 3 is still cheaper than filling gas in an ICE.

This guy drove from CA to FL and only paid $110 in supercharging. No way $110 in gasoline gets you even half that distance.

Aren't you comparing off-peak residential rates to very high current commercial (probably daytime peak) rates using equipment that costs 100's of thousands of dollars to install and maintain? How much is your peak charge?

By the way, that's not the cost of Supercharger charging, that's the cost of Supercharging charging in California. It is different in other states. If you compare the cost to other charging providers, I believe that you will find that it is very competitive.

So, indeed, as was the intent with the new charging program.

Just charge at home and be happy.

In Washington I pay $0.086/kwh, The supercharger rate was initially $0.11/kwh and then was kicked up to $0.24 with no notice or explanation. Still is 1/2 the price of local Blink stations. I don't think Shell triples the cost of gas from wholesale to retail. I do realize they need to pay for the supercharger installations but a lot has changed from back when they would be solar panel powered. Supercharger profit center will help Tesla survive.

Reactions: felialcho
Lets say on a roadtrip you supercharge your battery to 90%. From 10%-90% thats about 58kwh used, assuming the 75kwh battery has a max usable of 72kwh. You know what, lets just say 60kwh used.

60kwh charge: $15.60.

For $15.60 you can drive ~270 miles.

In an ICE car, $15.80 buys you ~5 gallons of gas, probably far less in CA. Assuming 30mpg, that $15.80 in gas only gets you 150 miles. In a prius at 50mpg, thats 250 miles, which is somewhat similar.

So no, charging a model 3 is still cheaper than filling gas in an ICE.

This guy drove from CA to FL and only paid $110 in supercharging. No way $110 in gasoline gets you even half that distance.

Your method is what I use to explain miles per gallon to non-EV people... I sum it up as 11cents for electricty vs $2.60/gallon gas.... my tesla gets 95mph, the bolt gets 120mpg. Even if the wife drives like a bat out of hades, the car still gets 80mpg, twice the mileage of the civic we have.

I don’t think that comparing to how much it would cost if you pay for gas is the question. I realize the capital cost etc ., the commercial electricity rates are lower for high volume users and I guess they are trying to discourage supercharger use in town.
0A9E1C45-A5AE-4082-B2D9-17D5FC8A206A.png
But if you’re over 200 miles from your home zip, the rate should be lower than they are charging now ( in CA anyway).

You are completely right, and I do believe the goal of the increase is partly to reduce the demand of the supercharger network to most Model 3's. I have never supercharged my 3 yet because it doesn't make any economic sense to.

For longer trips, I have a different Tesla with free supercharging. In this case, it would make more financial sense for Tesla to let me supercharge the 3 for free for longer trips since it is more energy efficient than either the S or X...meaning they'd spend less time and $ to charge me for the same distance driven.

i was too busy rebutting your flawed premise that supercharging costs more than gasoline.

the 7 cents/kwh is not guaranteed, and electricity is cheaper outside of CA.
Where did I say supercharging costs more than gasoline? Fake News!
Also the article I linked to says:
Musk also said that they would offer a guaranteed rate of 7 cents per kWh at those Megacharger stations to optimize savings against the fuel costs of diesel trucks.

Interesting that no one commented on the guaranteed rate of $0.07 for semis.....

Unless you have a semi, who cares? Why not comment on the X and S price, i.e., $0.00?

My point is that the rate can be built into the price of the vehicle. It was not for the 3's (non P).

But the $0.26 is reasonable to me. Tier 2 day rate for SCE which is likely when folks will be using. Heck, $0.26 is lower that what I pay Edison right now, since the a/c is running. (I can't see any savings in ToU.)

One of my favorite aspects of driving EV is never having to visit a gas station again. Over time, it becomes completely normal to just plug in at home upon arrival. My son has spent most of his life seeing that this is actually how a car gets fueled (in your garage) lol

Over 3yr/36,000 miles, I probably charged ~4000 miles at superchargers during roadtrips, so ~90% charging at home rates. I don't think the rates are much of a factor for me and believe they'll be fair for the few times I'll need them. Whether it's 0.16 or 0.26, still much cheaper (and cleaner) than gas

. I kind of think of it like if you are used to paying $4/gal, but on trips you have to pay $8/gal.
Your fuel costs for trips are a blended average of home, destination + Supercharging rates.

Example:
Say the trip is 400 miles, 300 from home charge and 100 miles from Supercharger.
Home rate = x
SC rate = 2x
Blended rate = (3x + 2x)/4 = 1.25x

Reactions: dgpcolorado
How often do people consider the delivery fees and other surcharges when comparing electric rates?

Here in Cleveland, the cost per kWh is only 5.5-6c/kWh. Sounds great on paper! Buuuuuut, when you factor in the delivery and administration fees, it doubles to .13c/kWh. Still a good rate, but not as good as you would think given the actual cost of electricity.

Reactions: brkaus and plumazul