Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rawlins, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped at Rawlins SC on Aug 12, 2017 and the transformer and Meter was installed, but still no power.
We have a Model S 90D and drove Cheyenne to Rock Springs on August 11, then on to Ogden to see family and made the return trip Rock Springs to Cheyenne on the 13Th. Had favorable winds both ways, so started at 50 mph & once across the divide, went back to speed limit.

Called Fairfield Inn this morning and was told that they connected the electricity yesterday. It they didn't know if it was on. Went there before heading to KOA to charge, where I learned that I have a defective charging cable. Rawlins not yet online, obviously. I am now in a truck with my car on the flatbed, on the way to Cheyenne. Driver is going to detour to Laramie to see if that is online for me. I will post any updates on that thread when I am able.
What do you normally charge with at home?

Confirmed no electrons flowing in Rawlins or Laramie. Stalls not lit up or numbered but the transformers and meters are in place.

FWIW I went from the Rock Springs supercharger to the Loveland supercharger in one shot. Ended up being 298 miles with my stops at the 2 superchargers under construction, a rest area, and an unexpected construction detour in Loveland (that could have been really unfortunate if I were truly limping but I had about 10 rated miles to spare :). I went ahead and drove an extra couple miles just so I could say I have driven 300 miles on one charge before :) I have an S90D that gets 282 rated miles on a full charge, which is what I left Rock Springs with.

I'll be passing through in about two hours so I will stop to check just in case.

Looks like I'll be driving 60mph with no a/c across Wyoming again lol.

No a/c at 80+ degrees? Do you run with windows open, increasing drag? Or just the roof? Or the roof vented? I'm curious, because I'd like to do the same, but I'm not sure my blood pressure would manage the anxiety of watching the miles remaining slowly creep down with no charger anywhere. (Lots of open space in Wyoming and even down 287 into Colorado.)

No a/c at 80+ degrees? Do you run with windows open, increasing drag? Or just the roof? Or the roof vented? I'm curious, because I'd like to do the same, but I'm not sure my blood pressure would manage the anxiety of watching the miles remaining slowly creep down with no charger anywhere. (Lots of open space in Wyoming and even down 287 into Colorado.)
Definitely wouldn't open the windows or the sunroof because of the drag. I'm not even sure that venting the sunroof would be better than just using the a/c as that would change the drag too. I just changed into shorts and a t-shirt and sweated it out!

I started this leg about an hour before sunset and finished well after so at least I wasn't getting much of a greenhouse effect with my pano roof. The temp when I started was in the low 80s and at one point it got as cool as 60F (which is about optimal for me when I'm rolling without a/c/heat and the sun is down), but most of the trip was in the 70s and I was fairly warm, but not sweating profusely or anything. One thing I did do is opened the windows and sunroof when I stopped in Rawlins and Laramie to check on the superchargers.

Lastly, I would not recommend trying absurd legs like Rock Springs to Loveland or even Rock Springs to Cheyenne unless you are experienced and prepared to cope with failure. I probably wouldn't have attempted it myself if it were winter, but this time of year the temps are decent even overnight and I have a sleeping bag in the car, so the worst case scenario is not really that bad. Also, I'm flying solo so I don't have any kids to worry about or significant other to answer to :)

Reactions: E-GAL and KJD
We have a X90D. We drove from Cheyenne to Rock Springs on one charge yesterday, going 50 m/hr for most of the way with the flashers on for our safety. We are experienced road trippers, so we weren't sweating it. I would definitely reduce speed before giving up A/C. (We did stop at the chargers in Rawlins, just to be sure they had not been activated - and yes, no juice, yet.)

Yay! We're in Boise, heading for Denver. Now we can go across Wyoming instead of down through Price and Green River UT. Thanks for posting.

I see Rawlins is active on the Find Us page but not Laramie. If Laramie isn't on the car's navigation system either I would advise to not count on it being open. Rock Springs was on again / off again before Tesla showed it to be officially open.

Drove from SC Rock Springs to SC Rawlins last Sunday. 116 miles; 177 rated miles; 73% battery. Started fast at 80-75mph then slowed down to 70mph. Speed limit is 80mph. 521Wh/mi. Temp 38F. moderate cross winds.
I'm guessing the winds were worse than you realized. There's only a slight gain in elevation and it wasn't *that* cold. 500+ Wh/mi is just brutal lol.

Oh now I see you have a Model X so the 500+wH/mi doesn't seem quite as crazy. One thing that does help quite a bit on those type of stretches is lowering the suspension although that does come with greater risk of damage if you run over something.