Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redondo Beach (LIVE 20 Jan 2015, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really curious if this will offload SJC. Hawthorne was somewhat out of the way for those on the 405 route, and SJC was an easy option. Now that this and Culver City are both up, I would think that people may opt to stop off here either on their way too or from San Diego, and avoid the waits at SJC.

I have some speculation & wild guesses to throw out there.

Glendale\Burbank is getting a new Service Center on the next few months (location unknown) posable SpC?
Van Nuys Service Center is expanding (finally, compared to other SC's its a dump) posable SpC?

Thousand Oaks & Calabasas are both rumored to get SpC's, I have heard Malibu as well.

How about the northern tip of the San Fernando Valley where the 405 & 5 converge, its not the greatest area but convenient, somewhere around 12861 Encinitas Ave, Sylmar, CA 91342?
View attachment 69569

I work out in Sylmar and agree it's not the most comfortable place to spend an hour charging up at night in a $100k automobile. I would not do it. Though at that location there's a lot of activity making for a safer Supercharger Station:
1. Denny's Restaurant open 24/7 (at the tip of your arrow) and a Mac Donalds,
2. a couple motels (would not recommend from personal experience),
3. an active Chevron Station (with traffic 24/7),
4. the region's active Trauma center 2.7 miles away (Providence Holy Cross Medical Center)
5. Olive View Medical Center 2.8 miles away (both attracting significant ambulance and police traffic)
So suffice it to say this would be an active area and likely the safest along a long stretch of the I-5 Corredor.

The Burbank airport region would be another natural selection if they could fins a spot close to restroom and food facilities. I for one would like to avoid walking for blocks at night around the Burbank airport. The airport location would be very convenient for topping off your battery before parking for multiple days or weeks.

I am really curious if this will offload SJC. Hawthorne was somewhat out of the way for those on the 405 route, and SJC was an easy option. Now that this and Culver City are both up, I would think that people may opt to stop off here either on their way too or from San Diego, and avoid the waits at SJC.

Wouldn't expect wait times at SJC to improve until TM builds another SpC further north along the 5. Hope I'm wrong though.

I can tell you that as of last weekend this certainly was not the case. All 7 stalls full with 2 cars waiting.

I don't think this would help SJC... But South Coast Plaza would, if that rumor is true... Just hope if SCP is true, they put the in a more remote section of the parking lot so ICEing isn't a problem... I guess it still won't prevent hours long shopping from blocking a charger though...

I don't think this would help SJC... But South Coast Plaza would, if that rumor is true... Just hope if SCP is true, they put the in a more remote section of the parking lot so ICEing isn't a problem... I guess it still won't prevent hours long shopping from blocking a charger though...

Looking ahead at the 2015 and 2016 map, it seems that there are at least a couple more SCs popping up along this route. SCP would be an excellent choice. They could pain the stalls red like in CC.

This is my go-to-supercharger in LA!

Decided to drive the extra 10-miles to Redondo Beach Supercharger Station because last time the Culver City Supercharger Station was almost full and the charge rate was regretfully slow (130mi/hr). Arrived at Redondo Beach Friday ~10a and had my pick of eight plugs! The charge rate was THE FASTEST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED! (364mi/hr with SOC at 7%), Charging up faster justified the 20-min round trip!
1 out front.JPG

The hotel lobby is very comfortable:
4 lobby.JPG

THE STAFF GAVE ME THE LOBBY INTERNET CODE FOR THE WiFi: laxr2014 (look for the "Promotion/Coupon" button on the Hilton popup window).
It is a swift connection from inside the lobby and the code is good for 12-hours!

Strong brewed coffee around the corner (for guests but I was invited to partake):
5 eating area.JPG

You can have a sit down breakfast ($13):
6 menu.JPG

The facility is great, including the restrooms and the staff is very friendly/welcoming of Tesla owners. This now my favorite Supercharger.

For folks looking to document the equipment layout here's an overview:
3 equipment.JPG

Went to the ribbon cutting ceremony today put on by Tesla and the hotel mgmt. Redondo Beach city council members there as well. Got a chance to drive the P85D with very little wait.

The hotel mgmt. said the supercharger has been in the making for 18 months prior to opening. Super friendly, they welcome Tesla owners both local and traveling to enjoy the hotel and its amenities. Passes for the fitness center, pool and internet can be obtain from the front desk for a nominal charge.

Nicely done!

Went to the ribbon cutting ceremony today put on by Tesla and the hotel mgmt. Redondo Beach city council members there as well. Got a chance to drive the P85D with very little wait.

The hotel mgmt. said the supercharger has been in the making for 18 months prior to opening. Super friendly, they welcome Tesla owners both local and traveling to enjoy the hotel and its amenities. Passes for the fitness center, pool and internet can be obtain from the front desk for a nominal charge.

Nicely done!
Cool Lisa. Thanks. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail...
Passes for the fitness center and pool? Neat idea. I wonder if other SC's at hotels have this option.

Here's the marketing for the services available at the location...

16027036023_a882c766d4.jpgSupercharging @Teslamotors Model S at @Hilton Garden Inn Redondo Beach... Cool options while you supercharge. by dennis_p, on Flickr

Interesting to advertise the "Happy Hour"...
Now here you have it. Exactly what everyone has been talking about on other threads. Having a SC at your site is good for business. This Hilton is actually directly marketing to Tesla owners. Very smart of them. In fact, I have charged here a few times, and each time, most of the Tesla owners were in the hotel. I have not gone in myself yet, but it is almost certain that I will.
Of note, even though the Happy Hour symbol is a martini glass, it is not just for drinks. Whenever I don't have my girlfriend or kids around, I frequent Happy Hours in my neighborhood just for the food, and skip any alcohol entirely, even though I'm not driving.

If they are going to be this sloppy (5 weeks+ late and wrong pictures), it may be in their best interest to say nothing at all.

I don't think Tesla intended to use a picture from Redondo Beach. This is just the generic supercharger pic that they are using these days. It's picturesque, and most people would not be able to identify it as a particular supercharger. It's not very productive for them to be sending out photographers for professional photos of every supercharger. It is, however, productive to send out emails announcing new superchargers, late or not.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the biggest benefit to this location in my opinion is close proximity to LAX. I fly a lot and i don't want to trust some valet guy at a parking garage to charge my car, so this is a big plus for people who travel and park their cars for days at a time and will need a quick charge to get them home from the airport.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the biggest benefit to this location in my opinion is close proximity to LAX. I fly a lot and i don't want to trust some valet guy at a parking garage to charge my car, so this is a big plus for people who travel and park their cars for days at a time and will need a quick charge to get them home from the airport.

All three SC charger locations are pretty much equidistant from LAX. So, you can say the same benefit holds for all the locations, and it's now convenient whether you're going North, East, or South from LAX.

I stopped by the other day and had lunch at the hotel. Had the turkey club. Good sandwich. Nothing compared to Charli's in Indio. The people next to me had the wings and said they were amazing.

According to a worker there, the owner of the hotel is a huge Tesla aficionado. He either owns one, owns the stock, or both.