Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Regina, SK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a SmartCentres property. I believe Tesla has partnered with SmartCentres in Canada. Though I can't name them off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure there are a few existing superchargers already on their properties and I know that a number of locations are planned to be on them.

Existing superchargers at Smart Centres include Cambridge, Markham/Woodside, Mississauga, Pickering, and Sudbury in Ontario and Mascouche QC. There are about 5 additional Smart Centres including Regina where we have heard that they will be putting in superchargers.

Wrong. Walmart is 100% freestanding. Other small mini strip malls are on the same "mega" property.
"Anchor" just means that it is a large store, not that it is attached to other stores.

An anchor store is major retail store used to drive business to smaller retailers. These larger department stores or grocery stores are generally part of a retail chain and serve as the prominent business in a shopping mall or strip center.

I've driven by the Walmart area dozens of times looking for potential Supercharger progress. To date the closest thing to that was the utility flags I posted a little while ago, which turned out to be unrelated.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Regina SC site might be somewhere else?? Or was Regina skipped and something was put in in Wolseley or Whitwood SK?

We know that Moose Jaw is getting SC's and we know Brandon is getting SC's (and Portage which is quite close), but there is a huge gap there -- 434 km, not doable in winter in nearly any Tesla. So I suspect one of those two smaller towns have concrete work done.

Is there anyone here from Whitewood or Wolseley that could take a drive and a look in the area? I'm really curious.

Also, what other properties in Regina does Smart Centres own? Maybe there was progress at another property in Regina that no one has noticed yet... hmmm......

Also, what other properties in Regina does Smart Centres own? Maybe there was progress at another property in Regina that no one has noticed yet... hmmm......
The Walmart off the Lewvan, which would have better restaurant options, is definitely a possibility. It isn't much of a detour from the #1 to there. The Walmart up at the North end would be a lot further off the #1 route and the people at Tesla don't seem to know about the existence of the largest city in the Province. ;)

I assumed they manage all three of those? I don't know what else they have in the city.

Tesla is sort of promising Moosomin, Wolsley, Regina, Swift Current, Chaplin, Medicine Hat (and Bassano) where we've heard of no progress yet. The crew doing Portage (and Brandon) are from Prince Albert, or at least their trailer is. Maybe they're moving on to those other locations once Portage is done.

The crew from Sault Ste Marie said they were headed to Wawa next, presumably working their way north of Superior. Will they make Kenora before the snow flies? Assuming that's their goal - say 2 weeks per location - Wawa, White River, Terrace, Nipigon, Thunder Bay, English River, Ignace, Dryden, Kenora - That would put Kenora about the end of November. They better get a move on or it will be another year.

The big deal is that there are 10 Trans-Canada sites (nearly) ready, but still no sign of equipment to be installed. That will be the bigly deal when that happens. I suggest keep an eye on Moose Jaw. Apparently according to posts, that one has the Hydro transformer installed so is only waiting on Tesla's equipment.

The big deal is that there are 10 Trans-Canada sites (nearly) ready, but still no sign of equipment to be installed. That will be the bigly deal when that happens. I suggest keep an eye on Moose Jaw. Apparently according to posts, that one has the Hydro transformer installed so is only waiting on Tesla's equipment.
There has been a large backlog of stall pedestals in general through the summer, and those have started showing up in the last week at V2 sites. In SE Houston some pedestals just showed up at a location that was stalled at that point. Construction and activation also just finished at Las Vegas, the first V3 outside of California to go live. So gear backlog is now beginning to be filled.

In Canada in particular the below grade and cement work is the critical chokepoint because of what a hassle it is to do once the frost starts going in the ground. It sucks, and ultimately is slower, tying in gear in the cold, but opening ground and pouring cement in freezing weather is another level of unpleasant.

Last edited:
The big deal is that there are 10 Trans-Canada sites (nearly) ready, but still no sign of equipment to be installed.

My guess is that when the equipment arrives it will be obvious many are V3 and they want to control this announcement, and not have the news leak* - so they prep all the sites first, and then install the cabinets in quick succession.

* Despite sleuths here spotting conduits with labels "1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C" :)

My guess is that when the equipment arrives it will be obvious many are V3 and they want to control this announcement, and not have the news leak* - so they prep all the sites first, and then install the cabinets in quick succession.

* Despite sleuths here spotting conduits with labels "1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C" :)
They seem to be doing the same thing though at Urban Supercharger sites.

They seem to have changed their construction techniques.

Another thing that is different in recent construction flows is that the power transformer arrives first, and is the first thing to be installed. It used to be that the transformer and meter were the last to go in, usually followed by a long wait for an inspection.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Just out of curiosity @InternetDude, how do you know that the Moosomin Supercharger got canceled? Was there anything that leaked?
He got the info thru us at the Saskatchewan Electric Vehicle Association. I spoke directly to the owner of the Red Barn and he said that Tesla had contacted him to cancel the project for this year. There was a formal permit issued from the town and they were very excited about it, I hope Tesla reconsiders. It would be a good location

He got the info thru us at the Saskatchewan Electric Vehicle Association. I spoke directly to the owner of the Red Barn and he said that Tesla had contacted him to cancel the project for this year. There was a formal permit issued from the town and they were very excited about it, I hope Tesla reconsiders. It would be a good location
At the risk of reading too much into your choice of words........So they might be looking at their construction timeline and expecting not to be able to close the gap before freeze-up?

In that case, @BlueShift could you remove the location from Supercharge Info? I already made some minors edits to the location stating the permit was canceled, but it should be removed instead

At the risk of reading too much into your choice of words........So they might be looking at their construction timeline and expecting not to be able to close the gap before freeze-up?

Odd considering the crew that did Brandon and Portage la Prairie appears, from the name on their trailer to be from Prince Albert. I assume it's more about other logistics? Hydro supply? Contract with landlord? Who knows.

Odd considering the crew that did Brandon and Portage la Prairie appears, from the name on their trailer to be from Prince Albert. I assume it's more about other logistics? Hydro supply? Contract with landlord? Who knows.
Based out of PA just means the low bidder for that part of the work happened to be in PA. Once you’re far enough you don’t go home for the night the cost difference is low for being only a province over. Decades ago I worked for a Saskatoon company renovating a mall in Medicine Hat because they happened to get the contact

It isn’t unheard of for a company to do install jobs across several provinces for a given company with specialized equipment because it is cheaper to have them travel than lots of companies learning the gear.

In that case, @BlueShift could you remove the location from Supercharge Info? I already made some minors edits to the location stating the permit was canceled, but it should be removed instead

Cancel the project for this year.

This probably just means just means the installation has been delayed until 2020, not canceled entirely. I would guess that it is a question of budget. Similar examples would be Brandon and Portage-la-Prairie that are being built now, but Tesla originally told the the hosts construction would be in 2018.

Reactions: emupilot
Cancel the project for this year.

This probably just means just means the installation has been delayed until 2020, not canceled entirely. I would guess that it is a question of budget. Similar examples would be Brandon and Portage-la-Prairie that are being built now, but Tesla originally told the the hosts construction would be in 2018.
And since it's Tesla we're talking about.......

Just wait 5 minutes, they might change their mind again.

But my point is - the problem is obviously not lack of a capable contractor to prepare the site. the volume of sites in progress bracketing Regina (Moose jaw, Maple Creek, Brandon, Portage not to mention 5 sites in Ontario on the Trans-Canada) suggests it isn't a budget issue that causes the incomplete route. So it means the problem is more likely something like they can't come to an agreement with the site owner, they can't get the hydro service to the chosen site, or there's a technical issue (utility in the way? Limited charger equipment?) that prevents the install.