Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Richmond, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like about 20 charging stations going up on the East end of Richmond, Virginia! • r/teslamotors
nanr81a6si601.jpg

Reactions: Skipdd
We used the S. Laburnum Rd. SC today. Showing 6 of 20 in use on Our Model X nav. on the way in, and after we got there, But we were the only car there. I think 6 units may not be operational yet, but showing in use. While we were there a guy came up and said that he had just bought a BMW for his wife, and had been reading about Teslas. I know nothing about BMW's, but he said he paid around $80,000, plus around $7,500 for a 4 year extended warranty. Can you even pay that much for a BMW? I was walking my dog, and he was talking to my wife, who was in thr car., so I may have misunderstood some of the conversation. Out car is filthy from driving on the Smokeys last week, and driving from Southern Va. on snow covered roads today. He was still very, very impressed with the the car and the company after our conversation. I think he was having buyers remorse when he left. He said he was going to the Richmond store for a test drive. While we were talking to him, a Henrico police officer came up and had many of the same questions. He said we were the first car he had seen using the SC. He wanted to know how we pay for the charging. He couldn't beleive it was free.

We used the S. Laburnum Rd. SC today. Showing 6 of 20 in use on Our Model X nav. on the way in, and after we got there, But we were the only car there. I think 6 units may not be operational yet, but showing in use. While we were there a guy came up and said that he had just bought a BMW for his wife, and had been reading about Teslas. I know nothing about BMW's, but he said he paid around $80,000, plus around $7,500 for a 4 year extended warranty. Can you even pay that much for a BMW? I was walking my dog, and he was talking to my wife, who was in thr car., so I may have misunderstood some of the conversation. Out car is filthy from driving on the Smokeys last week, and driving from Southern Va. on snow covered roads today. He was still very, very impressed with the the car and the company after our conversation. I think he was having buyers remorse when he left. He said he was going to the Richmond store for a test drive. While we were talking to him, a Henrico police officer came up and had many of the same questions. He said we were the first car he had seen using the SC. He wanted to know how we pay for the charging. He couldn't beleive it was free.

That poor guy is really going to have buyer’s remorse after that test drive.

Reactions: RTPEV
Happy to see the RVA area getting more SC's as I travel there to visit my parents a couple times a year. New SC's in Ashland and Colonial Heights also. Hoping they put one on 288 somewhere as they have all of RVA covered basically. Could use one on I-295 also.

Happy to see the RVA area getting more SC's as I travel there to visit my parents a couple times a year. New SC's in Ashland and Colonial Heights also. Hoping they put one on 288 somewhere as they have all of RVA covered basically. Could use one on I-295 also.
Ashland is a really cute town that I would not have discovered had it not been for their support of EV charging. Before I had my Tesla, we took my wife's Volt on trips and all else being equal, I would rather take a meal break at a place with an L2 charging station than not (even though I was realistically only getting about 5-10 miles of added range in the stop, which is ridiculous considering the 1600 or so miles we were driving the entire trip!)

Anyway, the downtown area of Ashland has a few charging stations, one of which in walking distance from a cute restaurant (The Iron Horse). The entire downtown has a railroad theme (easy to understand as the train tracks cut right through the middle of town!) It was "only" a mile off 95, but with all the chains right at the exit, I bet most travelers would never know that just 2 minutes away is this amazing little town.

I suspect the future Supercharger will join the chain gas stations and restaurants huddled around the exit, but I fondly remember the cute little downtown of Ashland.

Anyone in the RVA area seen anything around regarding the 3 new SC's planned in the greater RVA area or perhaps others than aren't on the coming soon map? I am from RVA but currently live in SC. I travel to visit my parents a couple times a year but they live pretty far down the Hull Street 288 exit almost in Skinquarter. I drive through South Boston to get there so that new supercharger is at an awesome spot for me.

I am hoping they will put a new supercharger off 288 somewhere but I have a feeling the new "Richmond" supercharger is going to service I-64 and the new one in Ashland and Colonial Heights will service I-95. They must really need them on I-95 as that would make 5 SC's within a ~40 mile stretch of I-95 (1 in Ashland, 1 in Glen Allen, 1 in Chester, 1 in Colonial Heights, 1 in Petersburg). Just seems to be some odd choices being made with the RVA locations IMO.