Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rochelle, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rochelle, IL

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Casey’s
Along Primary Interstates: I-39, I-88
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-51
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-39

To: Rockford, IL - 27.5 miles
Diversion: 5.4 miles
To: Rockford - McFarland Rd, IL - 33.6 miles

I-88W

To: North Aurora, IL - 40.9 miles
Diversion: 2.6 miles
To: Aurora - IL-59, IL - 50.8 miles

US-51

To: Rockford, IL - 27.5 miles
Diversion: 5 miles
To: Rockford - McFarland Rd, IL - 33.6 miles

Splitter! On I-88W, splits 116 miles, ,77.7 miles from the start (near Moline, IL), and 40.9 miles to North Aurora, IL

Also a diversion off I-39/US-51, which are concurrent here and to close to the Wisconsin border.

Last edited:
WRT I-88, it's ok to say East Moline, rather than "near Moline". East Moline is the original fourth city of the five major cities that make up the Quad Cities.

US 30 runs just south of Rochelle. It was a fairly major cross country US route prior to the interstate highway system. Interstate 80 more or less parallels, and in some places is literally on top of, US 30 through the Midwest.

The Rochelle Supercharger is also located a couple blocks from IL 38 which is on the route of the original Lincoln Highway - the first transcontinental auto route dating back to 1913. US 30 more or less followed the Lincoln Highway route across much of the US. Though in this part of Illinois, it avoided some of the population centers such as Rochelle. (Federally funded US routes were numbered starting in 1926.)

As I-88 is a toll road, if you get off at Rochelle and get back on at Rochelle you pay the same toll as if you had gotten on many miles way back in DeKalb ($3.60 online or $1.80 with ipass). If you take IL-38 to IL-26, about 25 miles, there's not another $3.60/$1.80 toll. Next time I head west (I'm overdue) I'll see how scenic it it and is it worth saving a few bucks. If it opens soon!

Although I'm very happy to see Rochelle finally get a supercharger, the location could be better. There are no restaurants near there. Easiest access is going to be off I-88, as it will take you 5-10 minutes from I-39 if you get off at IL-38. But I don't know if IL-251 is still a free interchange with I-88. 1st world problems I guess, lol.

Reactions: Lukestar82
Although I'm very happy to see Rochelle finally get a supercharger, the location could be better. There are no restaurants near there. Easiest access is going to be off I-88, as it will take you 5-10 minutes from I-39 if you get off at IL-38. But I don't know if IL-251 is still a free interchange with I-88. 1st world problems I guess, lol.
You just have to put in your Casey's pizza order about 20 minutes before you arrive 😂😂😂

In all seriousness though, I was really wishing this charger would be more on the north side of Rochelle. I am a frequent I-39 traveler, and do occasionally stop off in Rochelle to use the restroom, or grab some food. There is tons of restaurants (mostly fast food though) off of Highway 38, which is off the I-39 exit. Would have been nice (at least for me) if it was located up there. Also, taking the I-39 exit rather than getting on I-88 avoids the toll for me as well

I agree that it's a bad location, but its a 10 minute walk to the Rochelle Railroad Park. I've driven out to the park from Chicago a few times to watch trains and one time almost got stuck. It was winter and I didn't realize how having the heat on in winter drains your battery quicker. I made it back to Aurora to the supercharger with 4 miles left in my battery!

The modular construction is going fast. Appears to be six back in stalls and two pull in on either side.

1651180073352.png

1651180119396.png

Eastbound only free. Just checked it out. Husband thought bathrooms okay; me: not nearly up to most Hyvee restroom cleanliness.

Heading west will cost the $3.60 or $1.80. Folks in Casey's said they have been told August but are hoping it's much sooner.
There is no toll both on any of the entrances/exits on IL-251. So it shouldn't make any difference if you take the exit or not. What am I missing?

Unless new toll booths have been added in the lest couple of weeks, I can see no evidence of any toll structure on Google car images (2018), or Google Map images (2022), on any of the 4 ramps at 251 and 88. Illinois Tollway Authority lists no toll plaza or booth locations in the area around Rochelle.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV3_
Unless new toll booths have been added in the lest couple of weeks, I can see no evidence of any toll structure on Google car images (2018), or Google Map images (2022), on any of the 4 ramps at 251 and 88. Illinois Tollway Authority lists no toll plaza or booth locations in the area around Rochelle.
There is a full exchange on I-88 at 7th St about 1.2 miles miles south of the SC. There are no toll booths there as they make you pay at Dixon and DeKalb. Going east there's no toll until DeKalb as you paid at Dixon. After working with the ipass trip calculator on various on/off scenarios, it seems you pay the same toll either way regardless of stopping in Rochelle. I'll probably take west IL-38 at least once to check out the scenery and save a couple bucks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-094541_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-094541_Firefox.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 75