Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rock Springs, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continuing on the Price<--->Rock Springs discussion, a grand site for filling in the gaps - maybe 3-5 years down the road - would be in the vicinity of Strawberry/Fruitland along Rte. 40. That would open up a lot of flexibility for traversing much of Utah.
Of course, then one would have to envision other SpCs along 40...Dinosaur, Craig....

Rte. 40 is one of my favorite US highways.

Rock Springs to Price hmmmmm. That might be kind of fun to try. There is a steep uphill and downhill between Vernal and Flaming Gorge.

It seems like there would be some RV parks along the way for a Plan B, if you came up short.

Really just one decent one on the Plugshare map, in Vernal, about halfway (also some 120Vs in Vernal, and a home charger at Roosevelt). Still pretty sparse. But RVParkReviews shows five more RV parks with 50A and two with 30A en route that you could call up if need be - 2 at Starvation State Park near Duchesne (1 of which is only 30A), an additional one in Vernal, one at Steinaker State Park, one with only 30A at Red Fleet State Park, and 2 in Flaming Gorge.

Reactions: KJD
Rock Springs to Price hmmmmm. That might be kind of fun to try. There is a steep uphill and downhill between Vernal and Flaming Gorge.

It seems like there would be some RV parks along the way for a Plan B, if you came up short.
Continuing on the Price<--->Rock Springs discussion, a grand site for filling in the gaps - maybe 3-5 years down the road - would be in the vicinity of Strawberry/Fruitland along Rte. 40. That would open up a lot of flexibility for traversing much of Utah.
Of course, then one would have to envision other SpCs along 40...Dinosaur, Craig....

Rte. 40 is one of my favorite US highways.
I think that Vernal UT would be a good place for a Supercharger Station since it would open up Dinosaur NM (and make Rock Springs to Price via US 191 easy). Steamboat Springs CO is already on the "coming soon" list and that's about 163 miles from Vernal, via US 40.

Of course, these sort of fill-in sites figure to be fairly low priority; I doubt that Vernal gets all that much traffic from either highway.

Steamboat Springs to Vernal UT-profile.png

Rock Springs WY to Price UT-profile.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
PLUS EV, I'm hoping to do the Glenwood to Rock Springs for the eclipse, MS70D.
Looks like a close one, have you done? Any recommendations or would Junction be a safer bet?

I have not done it but there is a 228 mile route to Glenwood Springs with a slight elevation loss. That would be awful squeaky in a 70, but I do think it's possible. If you do attempt have a backup plan (like call any campgrounds or RV parks along the way), and use all the typical hypermiling methods. No heat or a/c, drive slow, high pressure in tires, low suspension, etc. Good luck!

I have not done it but there is a 228 mile route to Glenwood Springs with a slight elevation loss. That would be awful squeaky in a 70, but I do think it's possible. If you do attempt have a backup plan (like call any campgrounds or RV parks along the way), and use all the typical hypermiling methods. No heat or a/c, drive slow, high pressure in tires, low suspension, etc. Good luck!

Thanks, thinking the same. Likely have to grab a few miles somewhere, but seems better than the alternative route.

Rock Springs went live 2 days before I needed it to return to Midwest.

Drove from Rock Springs to Cheyenne 8-13-17 in an 85D, 2 passengers, lots of camping gear. max charged to 263 RM. had to drive 55-60mph the whole way (4 hrs), tried to draft trucks when possible, hit several rain storms, got to Laramie with 4 spare rated miles (56 with 52 needed to go). There is a KOA with NEMA-1450 not far away in Laramie so I couldve got a buffer of 40-50 RM more, but I decided to go for it.

Initially there was an increase in Power requirements such that I dropped below needed miles, car was telling me I wouldnt make it: neg 2% on arrival.

FYI after Laramie, there is NOTHING on the way, no towns or anything on that stretch. PlugShare confirmed !

Slowed to 50mph, and then the decent to Cheyenne. "picked up" rated miles quickly, got to SC with 25 RM left.

That was the longest, slowest drive, single-charge stretch I've done without any safety nets - 265 miles.

After the Rawlins and Laramie SC's go live this wont be a challenge anymore though.

Good Luck till then !

Reactions: Tedkidd
With respect to Grand junction to rock springs in a loaded ( with family) 85d, I'd say no. We could have made it (@ very low speed with 1-2% left but not above 40 mph), yesterday, at least including the stop at DNM. I would suggest a stop at Pine Forest rv park flaming gorge, and a good long walk to pick up additional miles.

Reactions: Bighorn