Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sagamore Beach, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last I heard from someone who was down at the site, was the goal was to have NStar hook up power by mid-August. A couple weeks past that goal and the pole is now up. Can't imagine it will take them very long to get power from across the street to the Superchargers, just need the man hours from the electrical company. I'm pretty sure the superchargers have been tested (using a generator). No one spotted the Model S down there charging though!

Before the project started the timeline was something like 4-6 weeks from start to finish. Will probably end up being about 3 months. I'm guessing the delay is due to the power company and not Tesla. Hopefully this leads to more level 2 charges around Southeastern MA and Cape Cod.

Here is another thought on this site. Maybe conduit from the utility transformer to power was not run, at least not yet. My thought is that they needed to get the pole in place first, to know where to run the conduit to. Now, with that said, the power company may need to line power from across the street to the new pole and get the upper structure of the lines in place on the pole before running it down the pole and on to the utility transformer.

So we may need several things to happen.
1. power needs to be lined to the new pole from across the street
2. conduit must now be placed {dug; trenched} from the utility transformer to the base of the pole.
3. power needs to be run down the pole and on to the utility transformer.

hopefully items 1 and 3 above can be done at the same time and in one day... we'll see?

Please look at the pad of the utility transformer {the opening} and see if you can see conduit... usually with mule tape or some kind of pull ropes already inside the conduit. Also.. if there is conduit opening in there, then there is a possibility that conduit has already been run quite a ways to the pole.
That will make the hook up a one day job. Line power across the street, T it up, run it down the pole into the conduit, to the utility transformer and on to the distribution cabinets!

Last edited:
It's very likely they ran multiple 4" schedule 80 conduits from the transformer pad to within 15-20 feet of the new utility pole. My guess is they would have run those conduits when they were trenching for the new light, you can see within 20' of the new pole.

It's very likely just a little bit of work with the backhoe to finish the conduit run. An electrician usually does that part, and secures it up to pole 10' in a metal conduit, and leaves the 3 shielded coaxial HV wires coiled up. The utility often takes it from that point and runs it up the pole securing it, and installing the pole top HV connectors, along with the 90 degree HV connectors in the transformer cabinet. Yes, I once was involved with a new electrical service, even got to install the HV connectors on both ends and install the ground grid around the transformer pad (the copper wires are welded to the ground rods with a special kit)

So the project cost, as previously noted, is $2,000,000 (from the permit document previously attached in this thread). I just found a property value listing that has the 24 Meetinghouse lot valued as follows:

Bourne Property Valuations • 30 • January 2012
Location Owner Value
24 MEETINGHOUSE LN SORENTI BROTHERS INC $1,209,300

Okay, this was 2 years ago, but I doubt it's changed too much. So the way I do math, that puts the charging infrastructure (including construction labor) at $800,000. Agree?

Perhaps MassX capture the conduit for the utility feed in his 8/7 photo? What do you think?

Attachments

• trench.jpg
    trench.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 343
Hummm... It does look like the trench toward the utility pole was started! The next person on site really has to have good eyes to be able to tell how far the trench extends towards the pole.

Don't forget that the utility pad conduits also run to the distribution cabinets... soooo look for enough conduit runs ...... to run in each direction. One to/from the pole and the other to/from the distribution cabinets.

It's great to see the past photos showing the items in question! Thank you! I'm loving how many locals are staying right on top of the activity at this site and keeping the rest of us informed!
I know it is great to see this site come together from 'on the spot first hand reports.' This enthusiast is 2300 miles away, so double thank you to all of you monitoring this site with photos in real time:biggrin::cool:

I had some extra time (and miles) so I took a trip over there this evening. It appears the conduit is run from about 20' to the pole. There are two manhole covers that read NSTAR ELECTRIC. One near the pole and one closer to the pad. (I reduced the picture sizes because that last page takes forever to load now, these will load quick on anything.)
In this 1st one, you can see the access cover near the base of the light pole.
IMAG0152_r.jpg

Here you see the other access hole near the pad.
IMAG0153_r.jpg

As requested, an image of the conduits set up at the pad.
IMAG0154_r.jpg

Another shot of the station with the fencing and some of the plants they put in.
IMAG0157_r.jpg

I see tire marks, someone's been naughty!
IMAG0158_r.jpg

Thanks BrassGuy, the (2) 4" conduits on the left of the pad picture no doubt run to the manhole nearby. They always run multiple conduits when installing any pad mount transformer, in case of a "cable fire" (they would pull new cables into using the spare conduit, in that case). The (5) 4" conduits to the right are no doubt running to the distribution equipment (basically a big cabinet with circuit breakers to each SuperCharger cabinet, and probably smaller breaker for the new lighting to be installed). The smallish 1" or so conduit next to the (5) is for the meter wiring going to the meter housing mounted on the kindorf next to the pad. The grounding grid wire is also visible next to the (2) HV conduits. Looks like they'd just need to extend a couple of 4" conduits from the manhole next to the pole, to the pole. These are usually 4" schedule 80PVC underground, and the 90 degree sweeps and 10' section up the pole is usually SCH80 steel.. Usually only 1 of the (2) conduits will be extended up the pole since 1 is a spare. Once that's done, they'll need to get out the cable puller and pull in the (3) HV coaxial cables, through the manholes and to the pad/pole, and terminate them. BTW, this is all electrical contractor work.. Once the cables are pulled in and terminated, the power company extends the terminated coaxial wires up to the top of the pole and finishes the pole top connections to their fused disconnects. It's really timing, the electrical contractor usually waits for the transformer to be delivered before any cabling is pulled in, that's what has to happen next. Then cabling is pulled in/terminated, and then the utility does the final hookup/power up.

BTW, the reason for the manhole near the pad is likely so that once the site is developed further, new pad mount transformers will likely just be run to the manhole for hookup to the utility.

Last edited:
I went by this morning and the caution tape was no longer up. I retrieved the tape and tried to put it back up but could only get one side back in and I didn't have a hammer or anything to get the other side up. I took this opportunity for a photo op. I wouldn't have but brass guy mentioned there were already tire tracks so I couldn't resist :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 513
took some photos a couple days ago. drove all the way from Boston to the RI superchrger and then Bourne.

a voyeuristic shot of our car...
mP8dhYQl.jpg

not sure what this thing is...
Fzv6CSkl.jpg

some important looking box thingy
gDLIPw2l.jpg

obligatory shot of bridge
AGQ48HOl.jpg

peekaboo shot of cabinets
wk8X6K4l.jpg
Ui8WHQJl.jpg

just lovely...

WQgfVXfl.jpg

That "important looking box thingy" is where the electric meter will go. When the Utility Transformer gets installed and connected on the concrete pad behind the meter box, and the meter gets connected, the site should go live!

took some photos a couple days ago. drove all the way from Boston to the RI superchrger and then Bourne.

some important looking box thingy
gDLIPw2l.jpg

obligatory shot of bridge
AGQ48HOl.jpg

"Not sure what this thing is", that's a mount for signage, with electrical conduits in the center (to light up the sign). Btw, there are 3 of these poured concrete light mounts, one near the entrance and two behind the SuperCharger stands.

"Some important looking box thingy"' that would be the electric meter that will record the electrical usage of the SuperChargers, take a look, your house or apartment has one.

"Peekaboo shot of cabinets", 1st picture is the SquareD switchgear, the multiple runs of 480V wiring from the transformer terminates in these cabinets, it also has the main circuit breaker/disconnect, and circuit breakers to each of the 4 SuperCharger cabinets, seen in the 2nd picture (with locks on each handle). Each SuperCharger cabinet then has DC wiring to 2 charging stands.

You can also see the 90 degree metal sweep and a few sections of 4" PVC pipe in the picture, no doubt to finish the run from the manhole to the new utility pole.

Last edited:
Very cool! Thanks for the info.

Can't wait till it's finished. A guy charging his Tesla said it might not be ready till October tho :crying: (I know nothing else about why tho - something about Nstar)

There is some additional electrical contractor work to be done (running conduits from manhole to new utility pole, then pulling in HV cables and terminating them on both ends (pole end & transformer cabinet end)). The contractor usually won't do that until the transformer is delivered to the site, and that, is up the Nstar.

Up to Nstar, then it will be a long wait...

There is some additional electrical contractor work to be done (running conduits from manhole to new utility pole, then pulling in HV cables and terminating them on both ends (pole end & transformer cabinet end)). The contractor usually won't do that until the transformer is delivered to the site, and that, is up the Nstar.

Now, not expecting to have this Supercharger ready for my late Sept. trip to the Cape. Point of fact: Nstar is so lazy that they have been estimating my electricity usage, instead of dragging their lazy asses out to my house to determine why the meter guy can't read my meter. I had to call and complain. Unless someone at Tesla is nagging them, my guess is it won't be completed anytime soon (enough for my trip). Sorry to be such a downer.:frown: