Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salina, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should at least accommodate the first 1-2 spots for incoming Tesla owners. I would call ahead at this location and see if they can put up a cone or something. Everyone we spoke with at the hotel was very nice and really excited to have a Supercharger.

I don't think the signs are going to help much. Bad location.

I think getting to the location (at the end of a row of other businesses) and finding the Superchargers is adequate.
If they install signage/verbiage and maybe a couple of large cones (similar to Glenwood Springs), it will discourage all but the most petulant ICE drivers.

Early last Saturday July 12, 4 of 6 were ICE'd, this morning none were ICE'd, but a smart-alec in a '58 Olds (or Buick) pulled up and wanted to be plugged in.
Ha... ha...

I made this trip south from Salina into Oklahoma, and I don't know if it's uphill a lot of the way or if I was facing a serious headwind, but I left with 250 miles of range for a 215 mile drive and spent all but the first 15 miles or so back at the old tricks (slower than the speed limit, no AC, following semi trucks, etc.), and still came the closest I've ever been to running out of battery. It will definitely be helpful when they get another charger south of Salina to top up at.

Regarding other spots southward, I've suggested a few spots in OKC for a SC, but haven't received any response. Hopefully they won't wait to connect all the way across I-40 to energize the city, they've got a great opportunity to connect the Texas island right there...

I made this trip south from Salina into Oklahoma, and I don't know if it's uphill a lot of the way or if I was facing a serious headwind, but I left with 250 miles of range for a 215 mile drive and spent all but the first 15 miles or so back at the old tricks (slower than the speed limit, no AC, following semi trucks, etc.), and still came the closest I've ever been to running out of battery. It will definitely be helpful when they get another charger south of Salina to top up at.

Regarding other spots southward, I've suggested a few spots in OKC for a SC, but haven't received any response. Hopefully they won't wait to connect all the way across I-40 to energize the city, they've got a great opportunity to connect the Texas island right there...

I have just been there, and I stopped at two separate RV parks to get the additional supplemental charge for the 257 miles I needed from OKC to Salina (and reverse). (Wellington and Hutchinson KS)

215 miles might be pushing it a bit, depending how effectively you were driving.
I have started using Jerry33's strategy, no cruise control when trying to stretch mileage.
Cruise Control is great out on the open road from Supercharger to Supercharger (and NO mountains), but it does not aid your mileage like you think it might.
And I stick to about 58 to 61 mph speed to increase my range, unless I can find a semi or a large SUV I can effectively draft.

Rule Number One for me is to try and maintain a 40 mile buffer in my battery pack so I can arrive without any worries.
A small "oops" along the way is then still easy to over-come.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
On our trip from Salina to OKC, we did it in one full charge and ended with ~10 to spare. That was going ~65 the whole way, with cruise off. If you keep your Wh/mi around 250, you'll go farther. There was a really negative review on Plugshare for the Skirvin Hilton in downtown OKC, based on ignorance. I called ahead and found out they have a HPWC available if you ask the valet. They were happy to ride with me to the garage and plug it in. They even have a 30A J-plug for non-Tesla cars, too. It's only 208V, but it's better than a normal L2 around town and there's plenty to do a few blocks away while you charge. The valet guys didn't charge me for the parking, so I tipped them a 10 spot.

On our trip from Salina to OKC, we did it in one full charge and ended with ~10 to spare. That was going ~65 the whole way, with cruise off. If you keep your Wh/mi around 250, you'll go farther.

Chris,

Might do this trek ... still in the planning stages (but the other way around ... OKC-Salina). I don't know why, but I cannot get anywhere near 250 wh/mi - 305 along I-45 is the best I have ever done.

There seem to be many places on PlugShare along the way.

[Anyone else] ... Any suggestions as to successful charges (sorry if this is embedded here or in another thread)?

Chris,

Might do this trek ... still in the planning stages (but the other way around ... OKC-Salina). I don't know why, but I cannot get anywhere near 250 wh/mi - 305 along I-45 is the best I have ever done.

There seem to be many places on PlugShare along the way.

[Anyone else] ... Any suggestions as to successful charges (sorry if this is embedded here or in another thread)?

When are you going? Seems like this would be a Supercharger route in 90-120 days.

When are you going? Seems like this would be a Supercharger route in 90-120 days.

Tentatively the day after Christmas. Still pending plans. I have been looking at the Shore Power TSE location in Newton KS as a bridge. It's 185~ miles from Skirvin and by then I will know how poorly I had done on conservation and can adequately gauge the time needed to top up. The way I drive, the best I can expect is 210 miles (I chew 400+) but I have hypermiled 253 miles back in 2012 and ain't nobody happy in that car when that occurs!

We will see.

Tentatively the day after Christmas. Still pending plans. I have been looking at the Shore Power TSE location in Newton KS as a bridge. It's 185~ miles from Skirvin and by then I will know how poorly I had done on conservation and can adequately gauge the time needed to top up. The way I drive, the best I can expect is 210 miles (I chew 400+) but I have hypermiled 253 miles back in 2012 and ain't nobody happy in that car when that occurs!

We will see.

I remember the 2012 trip and I'm surprised that your entourage is willing to sign up for another like event. Jerry33 is no doubt the expert on this route, but his foot is lighter than yours (or mine).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Christmas present in Wichita...

Tentatively the day after Christmas. Still pending plans. I have been looking at the Shore Power TSE location in Newton KS as a bridge.

Instead of Newton, try the fairgrounds in Winfield. If you do a range charge in Salina, you'll only need to spend 60 minutes to get enough of a buffer to get to Oklahoma City with plenty to spare.

Instead of Newton, try the fairgrounds in Winfield. If you do a range charge in Salina, you'll only need to spend 60 minutes to get enough of a buffer to get to Oklahoma City with plenty to spare.
"Winfield Fairgrounds is located just a mile west of downtown Winfield on U.S. Highway 160 at 1105 W. Ninth"
That is a great tip. For some reason it's not on PlugShare...

We will see.

Hi,
I have been from OKC up to Salina.
And back again.

On the way up, there are several RV Parks around that can give you a bit of a charge (1.5 to 2 hours):

** Wellington
Wellington, KS KOA
100 South KOA Drive
Wellington
(800) 326-8300
I have visited and used the 14-50 there, couple of hours charging to make it to Salina

** Wichita
Air Capital RV Park
(316) 201-1250

** Wichita
All Seasons RV Park-Wichta
(316) 722-1154

** Wichita USI RV Park
(316) 838-8699

** Hutchinson
Kansas State Fair RV Park
(620) 669-3600
I used this RV Park on the way back, kinda out of the way, it is inside the fairgrounds.

I have searched, and was unable to locate anything around Newton (specifically).

Two more Options:
** McPherson
McPherson RV Ranch & Horse Motel
(620) 241-5621

**Hesston
Cottonwood Grove Campground
(620) 327-4173

Please be sure to call ahead @ RV parks, make sure they are open and are okay with charging an electric car.

Have a great trip.

With a full range charge in Salina, we made it to the OKC Skirvin Hilton's HPWC with 2-3 miles to spare. Cruise was set at 65MPH and we just had one stop for a potty break. However, this was in June when the weather was pleasant. Colder temps might require the heater, but if you leave right after a full Supercharging session, the battery should be nice and warm and you can pre-heat the cabin a bit.

RV park stops are all along the way if you want to get some buffer charge, though, as purplewalt said.
45-50PSI in the tires, too!

I guess I am torn between "knowing" I can make it hypermiling (as I have done it before) and driving normally. I have a heavy foot but I also like watching my average Wh/mi settings and getting caught up in the numbers while I drive (you would be amazed how quickly a trip goes if you try to fact integrals in your head while driving).

I remember the 2012 trip and I'm surprised that your entourage is willing to sign up for another like event.

LOL! That's why they are not going! Besides, after they complained for two hours, I turned the heat up and they all fell asleep. Small price to pay for relaxation.

Several options:

Stop be my house in Benton (NE of Wichita) for a top off. This would add about 20 miles to your route. There's a restaurant/bar next door where you can sit on the enclosed patio and watch the airplanes land at Stearman Field to pass the time. I've currently got a 20 amp EVSE and could install a 14-50 outlet in the hangar if you want the higher power.

There are two Tesla owners listed on Plugshare located on the East side of Wichita. At least one of those is an 80 amp install.

The Westar (electric company) locations in Wichita and Newton are pretty convenient. Newton is about a mile off the highway, Wichita, you're right by the highway. Both will be 208v/30a locations. Not much to do at either site while waiting for a charge. I've had good luck with both locations. I'll likely be using the Newton one today to make the round trip to Hesston in my Leaf.

Hope Cottonwood's rumor of a Wichita Supercharger will come soon. This would greatly help getting through the Wichita area. I keep checking for building permits, nothing yet.

Last edited: