Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salina, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I topped off in Newton this evening. No trouble using the charger. I only stuck around for ~15 minutes to be able to make the 80 mile round trip. I was a little shy because I was running late on the way there and had to run at 60+ mph to make it to the Christmas program. One of the trials of trying to drive a Leaf at the limits of its range. Anyone want to buy a 2013 Leaf SV or 2008 Ariel Atom 2 to help fund my Model S purchase next year? :)

The Leaf doesn't provide a direct monitor on voltage/amperage of the incoming AC power like the Model S offers. I did use my aftermarket LeafDD, which said I was putting 5.5 kW of power into the battery using my on-board charger. As mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure all the Westar offices have 208V/30A EVSEs.

Westar Energy - Newton Service Center | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Google Maps
The EVSE at the Westar site in Newton is located just West of the building at the corner of the fence that's visible from the street.

Westar Energy Wichita Operations Center | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Google Maps
The EVSE at the Westar Operations Office in Wichita is located on the South side of the building, just East of the large door at the center of the Google Streetview link.

Stopped at this charger for the Eclipse weekend (twice). 6 stalls, fast charge, & very friendly hotel staff happy to share restrooms and refreshments. A Starbucks & corner store are available a short walk away.

Travelled to/from here and Lincoln, NE, a pretty good drive. In a 100D X I topped off to 100% (or close to) and arrived in Lincoln with 27%/77 miles remaining. (Lincoln's Supercharging location is also excellent.)

Does anyone know the current status of the Salina Supercharger? The nav says it closed as well as “Reduced Service”. It worked fine on Thursday morning. Without that, I’ve got a 280 jump to make it home. I may divert East to Topeka, but that’s pretty far out of the way.

I’m in a LR RWD 3, so 280 is doable, just not fun.

For some reason, I wasn’t getting e-mail alerts on this thread.

I planned on a 15 minute stop in Grand Island and just a granola bar for dinner. I’ll spend an hour here and get a real dinner. At least I’m getting 145 kW out of the Supercharger here.

I drove a Leaf for 5 years. I got this! :)

Last edited:
It looks like some of the problems have been solved:

upload_2019-5-19_21-0-15.png

For sites with seemingly erratic behavior, it's worthwhile to remember that it may not be a matter of the supercharger hardware's performance. Their power is still supplied from the local grid and, like all electronic equipment, they are particular about the voltage and frequency. If the electrical service at a specific location is not reliably within bounds, that can have impacts on the quality of charging just as much as if the cabinets aren't working right.

For anyone with a CHAdeMO adapter it looks like the Electrify America site at Casey's is live, so that could be a useful backup, assuming it works:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
I'll give it a try on Wednesday if the Supercharger is still acting up.
Used the CHAdeMO on Sunday 5/19 since the Supercharger was down. Very expensive! They charge you by the minute, $0.30 and the charge is limited to 50 kW max.

I'm at the Salina Supercharger this evening. It is showing on the Tesla Nav as 'Temporarily Closed' and 'Reduced Service'. The reason for the Temporary Closed is that the access road is flooded. If you have air suspension and are willing to take the risk, raise it to very high and you will be able to get through the flooded area - that's what I did. Drive through the Rodeway Inn parking lot to avoid some of the flooding. If you don't have air suspension it may not be worth taking the risk. The Superchargers themselves seem to be working fine. I charged at 3B which was working normally. There was an X charging at 1A when we went out to dinner. I asked him if he was getting a decent charge rate - he was getting 112 kW. I then charged on 2B when we came back from dinner and I was getting 50 kW with a battery already at 225 rated miles, so that seemed normal to me.

For more details see my post here:

Superchargers Visited

There's a red Model S that has been plugged into 3A since we arrived at about 6:30 (3 hours ago) so either he is getting a very slow charge rate or he's accumulating big overtime charges.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and mociaf9