Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salmon Arm, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by today. And meter is installed but stations still don’t have power. Oddly there is some conduit sticking out of the ground with duct tape on it. But the station does look complete, from what I can see the only thing left to do is for BC hydro to turn it on. View attachment 697996
That looks like the pad where the transformer gets installed. Without a transformer nothing is getting turned on.

Reactions: mociaf9 and PLUS EV
As of 2 hours ago there is a post on the Kamloops EV Owners Facebook group that the Salmon Arm Supercharger is live. It doesn't show up in my in-car navigation system so far. If a Tesla tech was in Salmon Arm to activate perhaps other sites like Cache Creek could go live soon as well.

1630201607321.png

1630201640399.png

As of 2 hours ago there is a post on the Kamloops EV Owners Facebook group that the Salmon Arm Supercharger is live. It doesn't show up in my in-car navigation system so far. If a Tesla tech was in Salmon Arm to activate perhaps other sites like Cache Creek could go live soon as well.

View attachment 702751

View attachment 702752
Perfect timing as we stopped in Salmon Arm last night. I can confirm the chargers are working as of August 29!

insanely slow at 32kw max.......the providers are throttling the power to a lot of SC locations so you don't get anywhere near SC 250kw speeds. west kelowna is another one. The malls they are located in don't want to provide the power. dialed back to a fraction of capacity so not worth using.

insanely slow at 32kw max.......the providers are throttling the power to a lot of SC locations so you don't get anywhere near SC 250kw speeds. west kelowna is another one. The malls they are located in don't want to provide the power. dialed back to a fraction of capacity so not worth using.

You could be right, however did you pre-condition your cars battery before and during the drive to these Superchargers? Did you have a higher state of charge (over 50%+)? Batteries at the current cold temperatures need to be at around 30'C+ and lower state of charge (eg. less than 30%) in order to get over 100 kw speeds. That's why we should be paying per kilowatt, not per minute, like much of the rest of the world does.

• Informative
Reactions: RadScientist
Agreed. BC hydro us the power provider. Not a mall. West Kelowna pubs at over 230 kw when down around 20 percent.

Is he pre conditioning?
started at 20% charge. yes preconditioned, only car there, and the west kelowna charge was done with mobile tech there during service. He confirmed the bottleneck is the mall not providing full power and is common at a lot of locations at least in B.C...........Anything over 72kw is rare. Whether it's the mall, bchydro or combo, you never get full level 3 charging. These stations charge by the minute so makes sense they want you to take forever to charge at .48/min to maximize profit.....people on road trips have no choice

Other than the new ones in Surrey and Osoyoos, I've been to every supercharger in BC (including many as recently as last month) and never experienced sub-standard charge rates. I've also never heard of the property nerfing the charge rates at any of the >1000 superchargers on the continent.

I would consider opening a ticket with Tesla. Plug share indicates lots of folks getting over 200 KW. Somethings not right.
my experience is all over the map from 240kw-30kw depending on time and location. this is confirmed by the mobile tech I had onsite west kelowna who tested it on his car to be sure. he got even lower speeds than me and said " this has been a problem and many complaints because the mall is throttling power. I have also noticed most the chargers were .22 for the first 10 minutes and then .44/min after that. now they are .44 right from the start and some are .48-.52/minute. that's way more than gas prices if you have to charge for an hr at super slow speeds. more games to maximize revenue. many new tesla owners will have no idea this is happening

Funny thing is ... check Petro Canada and Shell EV stations across the Lower Mainland on PlugShare. They've been throttling their "so called" 100-350 kw chargers to 30-50 kw for the past 6 months. Tons of people are reporting major throttling, but those are "Big Oil" chargers. They want to make more money since they charge per minute. What a scam that is !! But it's unusual to see too many reports of throttling at Tesla Superchargers, they seem to want us to get in and get out fast. Maybe it's just something going on at the moment at those Supercharger locations, as most people are reporting good speeds across the province.

Reactions: Vawlkus
my experience is all over the map from 240kw-30kw depending on time and location. this is confirmed by the mobile tech I had onsite west kelowna who tested it on his car to be sure. he got even lower speeds than me and said " this has been a problem and many complaints because the mall is throttling power. I have also noticed most the chargers were .22 for the first 10 minutes and then .44/min after that. now they are .44 right from the start and some are .48-.52/minute. that's way more than gas prices if you have to charge for an hr at super slow speeds. more games to maximize revenue. many new tesla owners will have no idea this is happening
I’m not trained in this kind of thing, but how would a mall throttle power to the adjacent supercharger. In other words, one day the supercharger has “full power” and people charging at 230 kw etc, and then the next day the mall pushes a button or cranks a switch and throttles the supercharger, and then next day crank it back up. What kind of device could they possibly be using?