Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, it was 11/12 full at about 8:45a, hopefully just the morning rush of people trying it out on their way to the office!
That filled up really quickly! I was there until 7:45am and no one else was charging when I left. Target opened at 8am, so maybe a lot of shoppers got there early to charge. I expect it to be crowded when Target is open.

That's definitely a good tip to get to this location early. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I just stopped by to check the place out. The word has definitely gotten out, though there were always several empty spaces.

I didn't get much power, only about 35 kW, but my car was already at 79% so I wasn't surprised.

I also tested one of the Chargepoint L2 chargers. They're on 208V circuits, as expected, and provide 30A. The voltage droops to about 198V under load. They're free for the first two hours only when Target is open; I got a text message saying that the price goes to $2.00/hr at 10pm, which is presumably when Target closes. I guess they don't want people leaving their cars there all night.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffTMeyers
Saw this on the map when I was driving back from the Service Center yesterday morning.

Gonna have to stop by and charge while I grab lunch at Chick Fil A, cuz this cold & rainy weather seems to be causing higher than usual drain and I'm not gonna make it through to the weekend without a top up.

Wow, my app says 0/12 available at 8:40pm Tuesday night. Guess we need the Del Mar location open ASAP. And other locations too. At least the Carlsbad location seems to be holding up (8/20 available, meaning 12 spots used, hmmm).

BTW, it's pretty cool that the app also shows nearby destination chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
It was wide open early this morning: 10/12 stalls available when I arrived at 6:30am. The other 2 Teslas were gone a few minutes later. When I left at 7am all of the stalls were available.

And my charge rate was 72 kW when I started.
IMG_20190116_063159.jpg

Here are my observations from using urban 72kW chargers:
Went to the Carlsbad charger. I have a Model S 100D. Charged from 29% to 80% = 168 miles. Got a nice constant 74kW, at close to 80% it tapered down.
Whole charge took 42 minutes. Unlike the 120kW chargers these are not paired, so you get full current always.
At a 120kW charger this would take about 32 minutes. So, here it was just 10 minutes more.
At Qualcomm with their 120kW chargers if your neighbor is already charging, this would also take 40+ minutes for you.

Basically, there is almost no advantage to try to go to the Qualcomm charger to get charged faster!!!

Reactions: jowaldo
Here are my observations from using urban 72kW chargers:
Went to the Carlsbad charger. I have a Model S 100D. Charged from 29% to 80% = 168 miles. Got a nice constant 74kW, at close to 80% it tapered down.
Whole charge took 42 minutes. Unlike the 120kW chargers these are not paired, so you get full current always.
At a 120kW charger this would take about 32 minutes. So, here it was just 10 minutes more.
At Qualcomm with their 120kW chargers if your neighbor is already charging, this would also take 40+ minutes for you.

Basically, there is almost no advantage to try to go to the Qualcomm charger to get charged faster!!!

Agreed! And Qualcomm has terrible fluctuations in charge speed so it may be the slowest of the bunch lol

Reactions: jowaldo
This supercharger has finally made the tesla.com/findus page -- and guess what -- the Carmel Mountain and Escondido locations are still on there as "coming in 2019." This one is listed as "San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur Supercharger" the same as in the app or on the tesla car screen.

So -- this one ISN'T the Carmel Mountain Ranch supercharger after all.

This supercharger has finally made the tesla.com/findus page -- and guess what -- the Carmel Mountain and Escondido locations are still on there as "coming in 2019." This one is listed as "San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur Supercharger" the same as in the app or on the tesla car screen.

So -- this one ISN'T the Carmel Mountain Ranch supercharger after all.

Assuming Tesla hasn't made a mistake...