Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but the post office and the Coaster station are actually in a valley, where as the supercharger is on a mesa. I can find lots lot of references to both names, but Sorrento Mesa is more correct for this location, IMO. It's not in a valley at all! I think most people will understand, either way, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Or we could avoid the whole debate and call it Mira Mesa, because that's what the sign says when you get off the freeway. It's certainly in the territory of the Mira Mesa Community Planning Group.

True it is on the Mesa, but it is in the area officially known as "Sorrento Valley".

It's not really in Mira Mesa, which is really further east, so that would definitely be confusing.

mira mesa.JPG

Yeah, but the post office and the Coaster station are actually in a valley, where as the supercharger is on a mesa. I can find lots lot of references to both names, but Sorrento Mesa is more correct for this location, IMO. It's not in a valley at all! I think most people will understand, either way, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Or we could avoid the whole debate and call it Mira Mesa, because that's what the sign says when you get off the freeway. It's certainly part of the Mira Mesa Community Plan.

On the expectation of more superchargers in San Diego, I think we should "future proof" the names by being as specific as possible. Sorrento Mesa is correct, specific and easily recognizable.

On the expectation of more superchargers in San Diego, I think we should "future proof" the names by being as specific as possible. Sorrento Mesa is correct, specific and easily recognizable.

I doubt there will ever be a SC close enough to need to distinguish between Sorrento Valley and Sorrento Mesa :smile:

They are both correct. I just think Sorrento Valley is more widely recognized and I think recognition is more important than specificity in the case of a thread title.

Really, anything is probably better the "San Diego - Pacific Heights"...

True it is on the Mesa, but it is in the area officially known as "Sorrento Valley".

It's not really in Mira Mesa, which is really further east, so that would definitely be confusing.

I don't know where Google gets its data. But it's definitely part of the Mira Mesa Community Plan, and there's definitely a sign in the median of Mira Mesa Blvd, right after you exit the 805:

Google Maps

That said, I still prefer Sorrento Mesa. But if mods decide to call it Sorrento Valley, I won't complain. I don't think either one is truly official.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't really care what it's called, just wanna hear that it's open ��

Yeah, but in absence of real news, what are we to talk about? :)

I doubt there will ever be a SC close enough to need to distinguish between Sorrento Valley and Sorrento Mesa :smile:

They are both correct. I just think Sorrento Valley is more widely recognized and I think recognition is more important than specificity in the case of a thread title.

Really, anything is probably better the "San Diego - Pacific Heights"...

My comment about specificity was more about "Mira Mesa" as opposed to "Sorrento Valley". The location is actually on the Mesa and not in the Valley, although Sorrento Mesa as a neighborhood is fully enclosed in the area normally referred to as the Sorrento Valley neighborhood. I still strongly prefer Sorrento Mesa, but Sorrento Valley is also correct, albeit less specific.

I'm a former local who mountain biked that mesa 30 years ago when there were no paved roads, and only a few dirt, double-tracks. I've always known the flat hilltop area as Sorrento Mesa, which is above Sorrento Valley.

The following is from Sorrento Mesa, San Diego - Wikipedia. It certainly seems to describe the area in question. I just hate calling the flat top of a hill a valley. Mesa is Spanish for table and just seems so much more appropriate...

Sorrento Mesa is a neighborhood in northwestern San Diego, California. It lies north of Carrol Canyon Road, east of Interstate 805, west of Camino Santa Fe, and south of a canyon locally known as Lopez Canyon. The San Diego Police Department's neighborhood map shows Sorrento Mesa as part of the Sorrento Valley neighborhood. Sorrento Mesa is included in the Mira Mesa Community Planning Area.

It could be North San Diego for a name that might mean something to a non-local
Now, now, Gary, North County San Diego is way farther north than Sorrento Valley! ;)

I've lived in San Diego for 20 years, never heard it called Sorrento Mesa. Looking at the Sorrento Mesa Wikipedia page it's technically part of Sorrento Valley according to it, so I'd still vote for Sorrento Valley.

805 and Mesa Blvd would be a helpful name, but Sorrento is a town in Italy.
Sorrento Valley or Sorrento Mesa both work well, but, of these, I prefer Sorrento
Valley.

The city is San Diego, the recognized neighborhood with defined boundries is Sorrento Valley.
It appears that Sorrento Mesa is a smaller neighborhood, with no official boundries, within
Sorrento Valley.

We probably have a Shoreline Estates that is inland, and Cliffside Vista that is in a canyon.

We could call it Fred, or Late, or Much Appreciated.
What will Tesla be calling this "child" of theirs?

In any case, Thanks Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla seems to name their Supercharger locations with City names, and the
two locations in Darien, CT are called Darien (south) and Darien (north).

So, the handwriting on the wall, or paper, or paint on the pavement
might be just "San Diego" when it appears on Tesla's Google maps, "soon".

Any updates on progress in this site? What are the next steps that have to be taken for this SC to come online? I emailed the SC team in mid April and was told that hopefully by early May it was coming online but obviously that was wishful thinking!

Any updates on progress in this site? What are the next steps that have to be taken for this SC to come online? I emailed the SC team in mid April and was told that hopefully by early May it was coming online but obviously that was wishful thinking!

There's not really anything new. The parking lot is still closed, the handicap spot is still in the wrong place, and the lot has not otherwise been striped. I haven't seen any further activity directly related to the supercharger. The only that has happened is the gate for the main driveway is being moved, so that the driveway is open, but the parking lot is still closed. (I presume this is to accommodate the Qualcomm shuttle.)

The next steps, in no particular order:

* Tesla has to turn on the supercharger, and do whatever testing they need to do.
* The parking lot has to be correctly striped.
* The construction gates have to be removed.

I'm betting it will be sometime next month before all those steps are completed.

I stopped by Saturday 5/17 on the off chance it might be open. The gate to the parking lot was open "for construction traffic only" so I pulled in and gave it a try. No power yet. In addition to re-stripping the parking lot, it appears Tesla needs to apply the 1A, 1B, ... numbering decals to the pedestals.