Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently, they need a Tesla there to show the problem (we back into those spots with the cable being on the driver side). This may not be realized - or visualized by the crew on sight trying to remedy the problem.

HC "walkway" should be on driver's side. If passenger is HC, then this parking space is not for them. Driver would discharge passenger and then park in any non HC spot to charge.

I believe the regulations allow the buffer to be on either side of the parking space, since some ADA spaces share a buffer in between. Normally, a driver of a car with a placard would choose which way to pull in based on their needs. Obviously, with the charging cable, it's a little different.

They're going to have to move that one pedestal over the full width of the hatched walkway. I don't think it's possible to park legally and use it.

Ok, I see. I guess they could move the second most leftmost supercharger to the left a few feet to line up with the left blue line of the hatched area. Also move the second most leftmost sign to the left a couple of feet to be centered in that stall.

I've been checking handicap parking everywhere I go the last few days, and I believe Mark is correct. I've seen the buffer zone on other side of the handicap space, sometimes shared between two handicap spaces.

The position of the second to the left pedestal is the problem. I agree that the fix is to move that pedestal to the left the width of the buffer zone. That's the only way to accommodate the handicap space where it is currently (presumably due to slope considerations, per Mark), and still have that second pedestal legally useable.

Tesla told me tonight May 22 commission of this site is what is in the schedule.

Really hope that commissioning on 5/22 (today) is true. My wife and I are traveling from Phoenix to Carlsbad today to get our P85D a clear bra and coated with Modesta at adonisdetail on Saturday and sunday... We'll be passing by this SC site at ~9:00 PM today. We could really, really use the charger here, as the hotel we are staying at Friday night has no destination charger, and the return trip will require a significant charge to go back the way we came (Tempe, AZ --> Gila Bend --> Yuma --> El Centro --> Carlsbad, CA). The last leg will use 182 RM, so to go back the same way may require ~150 Mile charge.

Perhaps Adonisdetail can charge it at 3 RM/hour while its getting coated... but that still wont be enough to go back the same route! There's a few public chargers around, but that is not too fast either.

Hoping for a miracle :)

Randall

Really hope that commissioning on 5/22 (today) is true. My wife and I are traveling from Phoenix to Carlsbad today to get our P85D a clear bra and coated with Modesta at adonisdetail on Saturday and sunday... We'll be passing by this SC site at ~9:00 PM today. We could really, really use the charger here, as the hotel we are staying at Friday night has no destination charger, and the return trip will require a significant charge to go back the way we came (Tempe, AZ --> Gila Bend --> Yuma --> El Centro --> Carlsbad, CA). The last leg will use 182 RM, so to go back the same way may require ~150 Mile charge.

Perhaps Adonisdetail can charge it at 3 RM/hour while its getting coated... but that still wont be enough to go back the same route! There's a few public chargers around, but that is not too fast either.

Hoping for a miracle :)

Randall

Randall, we went to San Diego last weekend from N Scottsdale. Hit Gila first. Charged to 90%. Nav said to hit Yuma for 5 mins. We stayed for 10 but had plenty to get to El Centro. In El Centro, we took a 90% charge. We needed to get to Santee area which is 40 miles shy of where you're going. It was raining, heavy fog and strong headwinds, but we got to Santee with 87 miles. We had 89 at the peak. So downhill driving took very little. If you charge to 100% in an S85, you should make it. But if this SC is open, it will be perfect. You could try charging at the service center. It's not as fast but it's closer to your destination in case this SC is not open.

Let me know how it goes. I'm curious and I am waiting for this charger to open too.
Have a nice time.

Randall, we went to San Diego last weekend from N Scottsdale. Hit Gila first. Charged to 90%. Nav said to hit Yuma for 5 mins. We stayed for 10 but had plenty to get to El Centro. In El Centro, we took a 90% charge. We needed to get to Santee area which is 40 miles shy of where you're going. It was raining, heavy fog and strong headwinds, but we got to Santee with 87 miles. We had 89 at the peak. So downhill driving took very little. If you charge to 100% in an S85, you should make it. But if this SC is open, it will be perfect. You could try charging at the service center. It's not as fast but it's closer to your destination in case this SC is not open.

Let me know how it goes. I'm curious and I am waiting for this charger to open too.
Have a nice time.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm not too worried about the El Centro the Carlsbad leg. EV trip planner has that leg at using 182 RM (1.1 speed multiplier, 90 Degrees ext, 400 lbs - all conservative). So if we did a 100% charge at El Centro (to 256 RM? for the P85D - we just took delivery of it yesterday), in theory we would have 74 miles left at arrival (and still need to drive around 10 more miles on Sat morning --> 64 RM left). To go back that route (Carlsbad --> El Centro) with the same parameters, EV trip planner quoted 179 RM.... so somewhere I need to fill up at least 179-64=115 RM. Since I'd prefer not to range charge, and to add a little buffer, that's where I figured we needed to find about 150 RM charge somewhere around Carlsbad.

Hoping for the SC to open, as it would make all this route and range planning a moot point.

Will post back with some trip details.

Randall

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm not too worried about the El Centro the Carlsbad leg. EV trip planner has that leg at using 182 RM (1.1 speed multiplier, 90 Degrees ext, 400 lbs - all conservative). So if we did a 100% charge at El Centro (to 256 RM? for the P85D - we just took delivery of it yesterday), in theory we would have 74 miles left at arrival (and still need to drive around 10 more miles on Sat morning --> 64 RM left). To go back that route (Carlsbad --> El Centro) with the same parameters, EV trip planner quoted 179 RM.... so somewhere I need to fill up at least 179-64=115 RM. Since I'd prefer not to range charge, and to add a little buffer, that's where I figured we needed to find about 150 RM charge somewhere around Carlsbad.

Hoping for the SC to open, as it would make all this route and range planning a moot point.

That area has many CHAdeMO's. Take a CHAdeMO adapter with you, if you can.

There is no need to do a 100% charge in El Centro; those last couple percent takes forever. If you are optimizing total charge time, stop the charging at the Supercharger when the DC Supercharger current is half of the AC L2 charging current ahead, or equal to the DC CHAdeMO charging current ahead. After that, Supercharging into the taper is slower than the charging down the road.

Very roughly, this is about 99% SoC if you have a 30-40 Amp L2 charger ahead, about 98% if you have an 80 Amp L2 ahead, and about 85% if you have a full power CHAdeMO ahead. Of course, add enough charge to get to the next charger...

Have fun! Even if it does not open for the holiday weekend, the San Diego Supercharger on Sorrento Mesa will open soon... :biggrin:

That area has many CHAdeMO's. Take a CHAdeMO adapter with you, if you can.

There is no need to do a 100% charge in El Centro; those last couple percent takes forever. If you are optimizing total charge time, stop the charging at the Supercharger when the DC Supercharger current is half of the AC L2 charging current ahead, or equal to the DC CHAdeMO charging current ahead. After that, Supercharging into the taper is slower than the charging down the road.

Very roughly, this is about 99% SoC if you have a 30-40 Amp L2 charger ahead, about 98% if you have an 80 Amp L2 ahead, and about 85% if you have a full power CHAdeMO ahead. Of course, add enough charge to get to the next charger...

Have fun! Even if it does not open for the holiday weekend, the San Diego Supercharger on Sorrento Mesa will open soon... :biggrin:

Thanks all for the inputs. Unfortunately, I did not buy the CHAdeMO adapter (yet). I did see all those fast DC chargers on PlugShare... Hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah, I was not going to do the 100% charge at El Centro- I know that takes a while (we traded our 2014 S85 for the P85D... did that once on a trip and saw the slowdown first hand).

If the SC is not open when I pass it tonight, then I will really need to find a good place to charge for the return trip. I do think the detailer can plug it in for us, but I assume that will be 3 RM / hour charge, so at best, we may get ~80 miles or so on that (depending on hoe long it takes and what proportion of time he can keep it pugged in while doing the work on it). Possible that even though the hotel does not have an formal charging, I may be able to at least find and outlet for Fridan night (detailer apt is at 8:00 AM Saturday).

If anyone does notice it is open, please repost :). I will be checking my phone (of my wife will be) while on the trip. If it's confirmed not open yet right before we pass by, I wont even bother getting off the highway to check.

Randall

I know we are drifting somewhat off-topic, but this is dealing with the Supercharger not open, yet...

In El Centro, "Burgers & Beer I.V. Mall" is a pretty good place for a meal with a nice patio if it's not too hot, but don't even go into "Dogwood Sports Bar & Grill" unless you want to smell stale beer and watch many sports screens at once.

Randall, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a charge for the trip home. Use PlugShare and plan your dinner tonight at a location with EV charging -- they're all over the place. If you can top off at the hotel overnight, great. If not, trickle charge at the detailer as much as you can. Worst-case scenario you stop at the service center or UTC mall to charge enough to get to El Centro. I bet it won't come to that.

From above, is there any indication of what the Tesla people are doing?

1. Checking that the Meter/breaker panels are powered and wired correctly.
2. Testing the Arches and attached supercharger units.
3. Dealing with the HC charging-space situation.
4. Other...

1 and 2, possibly. Not 3. They definitely have all the covers off the pedestals, and they've been inside every supercharger cabinet and the switchgear cabinet. When I walked out there, they were measuring things with a standard multimeter. Possibly determining which pedestal belongs to which charger?

The guy I talked to in the Tesla shirt was not chatty. I asked if he was activating it, and he say no, he was testing it, and that were still some issues to address before it would be activated. But I wonder if he really meant "open" when he said "activated".

To add to what Mark said, Tesla does test each pedestal charging with a Tesla Vehicle before leaving. In some locations, they have started with reduced power, before going to full power. In some locations, they have invited curious customers to use the customer cars to speed the process.

This all goes along with one of my favorite, conservative rules, “If it hasn't been tested, it doesn't work!

To add to what Mark said, Tesla does test each pedestal charging with a Tesla Vehicle before leaving. In some locations, they have started with reduced power, before going to full power. In some locations, they have invited curious customers to use the customer cars to speed the process.

This all goes along with one of my favorite, conservative rules, "If it hasn't been tested, it doesn't work!"

Yeah, they did bring a Model S with them. If anyone at Tesla is listening, I'm happy to help out, if one Model S is not enough! :)

I just stopped by to try to charge (wanted to be the first!) and it was still closed to all but construction traffic. There were some guys finishing up in the area (not with Telsa or SDGE) that said they saw a car plugged in today. With the holiday weekend I doubt we will see much action on the project until next week.