Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are driving between your homes, can't you charge there while visiting? With a HPWC you can charge at over 50MPH, so unless you are only visiting your house for a couple of hours, you should always be charged and ready for the drive home.
Good thinking, but not practical for me. My beach condo does not have any electrical (available or near me) in the parking structure. I got a bid for permits, meter, and labor for over $3,800 to set it up. Not worth the trouble for HOA approval or the cost for the two weekends a month I spend there. Sigh :( Gives me insight and compassion though for all of the people that only have a condo, townhome or apartment.
The HOA's and buildings are not set up or ready for EV's yet.....and the way they are approaching it, it will be a slow adaptation.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Good thinking, but not practical for me. My beach condo does not have any electrical (available or near me) in the parking structure. I got a bid for permits, meter, and labor for over $3,800 to set it up. Not worth the trouble for HOA approval or the cost for the two weekends a month I spend there. Sigh :( Gives me insight and compassion though for all of the people that only have a condo, townhome or apartment.
The HOA's and buildings are not set up or ready for EV's yet.....and the way they are approaching it, it will be a slow adaptation.

There's a chance you could get SDG&E to install charging stations for your complex:

SDG&E to Install Thousands of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | San Diego Gas & Electric

One wonders what their rates will be, and how well managed and maintained the SDG&E charging stations will be.

Indeed - and that goes double for PG&E's effort up north. Their 7,600 charger contribution means little if they are not well-maintained.

All parties seem well-versed in the announcements of good things to come, but I'd love to see the projected maintenance budgets in order to avoid the debacles of the past and present (see underpowered or flat out broken ChaDeMos citywide elsewhere). Unsexy stuff like that doesn't seem to garner the same level of media attention.

Indeed - and that goes double for PG&E's effort up north. Their 7,600 charger contribution means little if they are not well-maintained.

All parties seem well-versed in the announcements of good things to come, but I'd love to see the projected maintenance budgets in order to avoid the debacles of the past and present (see underpowered or flat out broken ChaDeMos citywide elsewhere). Unsexy stuff like that doesn't seem to garner the same level of media attention.

A bit OT but the SCE rollout has them basically putting in the infrastructure up to the point where the L2 chargers go, then giving the installer (I.e. condo complex, workplace, etc) a rebate that almost covers the entire purchase and install of the chargers.

The end user is then responsible for the maintenance and power charges. This kind of plan would be great for condos that can't front $20,000 to do the initial wiring.

See my recent mention of this in the other forum. The SCE program is I believe called Charge Ready pilot.
Charge Ready: A Plan for California | Edison International

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

RT

Just got back from the charging stations about 20 minutes ago. A few stalls open. A few cars didn't have owners waiting. Was sharing with another car and was charging at around 180A or 200 miles/hour on my 90D. This might be a bit premature, but I think the charging speed issue might be solved... at least until we get another heat wave and sdg&e tells tesla to throttle the superchargers again.

I charged at the San Diego Superchargers last night about 9:40 pm. I got an average of 190 miles per hour. Four other cars were there but only one of them had their owner sitting in the car.
Mph is meaningless without knowing state of charge to start with. Also it's an average over the session, not the instantaneous rate, so it's better to report the charging in kW.

I noticed that the charger plug had new handles. I wonder if that had anything to do with the improvement.
I saw the same cable change (with the new style flush button) at Atascadero recently.

It seems possible that the charger cable replacement at several California Superchargers recently is related to the slow charge rate issue. I know that some disagree, but we are seeing reports of normal charging rates now at those Superchargers with the newly replaced charge cables.

ecarfan said:
It seems possible that the charger cable replacement at several California Superchargers recently is related to the slow charge rate issue. I know that some disagree, but we are seeing reports of normal charging rates now at those Superchargers with the newly replaced charge cables.
Burbank Service Center told me Saturday told me they have had no slow supercharge complaints since their cables were switched out a week ago.

Folks, if you want to provide your charge rate, please include both your state of charge and either kW, or amps and volts. That will give a more complete picture. Thanks!

The MPH stat is an average over the whole session. And amps alone doesn't tell us the charge rate. Also, since the charge rate declines as the state of charge goes up, it's hard to say if a given rate is good or not without knowing the SoC.