Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While charging today, the stall next to me opened up and suddenly, a Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid backed in while at least one other model S was waiting in clear view. I rolled down my passenger window and told him he really shouldn't park there, to which he replied, "it's an electric car". I told him, "yeah, but it's a Tesla charger". Response: "what difference does it make?". After a little more back and forth about how it won't work for him, he asked if the charger cable had a different form factor connector. Told him yes and he decided to move and the waiting S moved in. Had a little discussion about cluelessness and had to wonder how you buy a ~$80,000+ car and don't have any idea how/where to charge it.

While charging today, the stall next to me opened up and suddenly, a Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid backed in while at least one other model S was waiting in clear view. I rolled down my passenger window and told him he really shouldn't park there, to which he replied, "it's an electric car". I told him, "yeah, but it's a Tesla charger". Response: "what difference does it make?". After a little more back and forth about how it won't work for him, he asked if the charger cable had a different form factor connector. Told him yes and he decided to move and the waiting S moved in. Had a little discussion about cluelessness and had to wonder how you buy a ~$80,000+ car and don't have any idea how/where to charge it.

LOL yes all chargers are not the same. At first I thought he was doing it out of spite/jealousy/whatever (like ICE cars pulling in to just park) until I read further and realized he really did think he could charge at a Supercharger. Did get a laugh out of it because he didn't want to believe you initially but I guess we all have a learning curve when it comes to EVs and charging. Porsche e-Hybrid advertises in their brochure that it comes with a Universal charger so I guess he took that as working everywhere. From the looks of it it's a J-1772 from what little I can see of it.

While charging today, the stall next to me opened up and suddenly, a Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid backed in while at least one other model S was waiting in clear view. I rolled down my passenger window and told him he really shouldn't park there, to which he replied, "it's an electric car". I told him, "yeah, but it's a Tesla charger". Response: "what difference does it make?". After a little more back and forth about how it won't work for him, he asked if the charger cable had a different form factor connector. Told him yes and he decided to move and the waiting S moved in.
So my impression from reading your post is that the Cayenne driver thought he could plug in to a Supercharger pedestal, is that correct?

As I understand it, the signs at this Supercharger indicate that any car can park in a stall for up to 30 minutes. But apparently the Cayenne driver was not looking for a parking spot, he wanted to charge. Hmm...

LOL yes all chargers are not the same. At first I thought he was doing it out of spite/jealousy/whatever (like ICE cars pulling in to just park) until I read further and realized he really did think he could charge at a Supercharger. Did get a laugh out of it because he didn't want to believe you initially but I guess we all have a learning curve when it comes to EVs and charging. Porsche e-Hybrid advertises in their brochure that it comes with a Universal charger so I guess he took that as working everywhere. From the looks of it it's a J-1772 from what little I can see of it.
There are blink chargers nearby literally in the same parking area. I guess he couldve gone there.

As I understand it, the signs at this Supercharger indicate that any car can park in a stall for up to 30 minutes. But apparently the Cayenne driver was not looking for a parking spot, he wanted to charge. Hmm...

My recollection is that only half the stalls have that signage, and the other half are reserved exclusively for charging. But I haven't been there in some time.

I suspect that the La Jolla Supercharger will be in UTC. I hope the El Cajon Supercharger is somewhere near I-8 on the east side of El Cajon, maybe at the Walmart off Greenfield exit. It would be nice for those on trips east and west on I-8. One thing I learned on my recent overnight drive is that with a 24/7 Supercharger there needs to be a 24/7 restroom, or at least bushes we can use. As a young boy scout I learned how to properly set up temp facilities while out in the woods. (Do kids today get taught this???)

I have no opinion on the new San Diego Supercharger, but think somewhere near Fashion Valley Mall would work. Or maybe close to the I-5 near the US/Mexico border.

I suspect that the La Jolla Supercharger will be in UTC. I hope the El Cajon Supercharger is somewhere near I-8 on the east side of El Cajon, maybe at the Walmart off Greenfield exit. It would be nice for those on trips east and west on I-8. One thing I learned on my recent overnight drive is that with a 24/7 Supercharger there needs to be a 24/7 restroom, or at least bushes we can use. As a young boy scout I learned how to properly set up temp facilities while out in the woods. (Do kids today get taught this???)

I have no opinion on the new San Diego Supercharger, but think somewhere near Fashion Valley Mall would work. Or maybe close to the I-5 near the US/Mexico border.
Yeah I concur on the 24/7 restroom. So many times I had to run to the bushes which is not the ideal and sanitary solution. Even porta potty would do for some location.

Good call on the "La Jolla" location being at UTC. They are in the middle of building a huge parking garage/mall expansion right now, so adding Supercharging spots during construction would make sense. I think I have a new scouting trip to do to see if I can find anything!

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience @ this SpC location. We have a trip to SD in 2 weeks and would like to know what to watch out for. TIA.

I opt for a 100% charge from home so I can round-trip Santa Monica to San Diego and back, without a stop. The San Diego SC (as well as most in OC) are usually full with multi-car waits. This SC sits in the parking lot of of the Qualcom campus. After 3 or so visits with excessive waits, I've fine tuned my weekly trip to SD to avoid SCs and enjoy the otherwise beautiful drive. Doing it again tomorrow. Enjoy!