Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worse than one stall being only for vehicles with placards. There is a second charging cable where you must park in the blue and white crosswalk to reach the charging cable. So no one can legally use that cable. They will have to change it.

Untitled.jpg

It's worse than one stall being only for vehicles with placards. There is a second charging cable where you must park in the blue and white crosswalk to reach the charging cable. So no one can legally use that cable. They will have to change it.

Mark, I highly recommend that you forward this email ASAP to TM. They definitely messed up the stripes.

Wow, did anything at all go right with this SC? This is crazy.

Well, technically speaking, they've made progress, so yes, albeit in a two steps forward, one step back sort of way.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I am sure they painted the lines thinking the charging plug was on the rear right side of the car.

Even if that were the case, it's still wrong for charging, assuming a handicap driver. There would be no way (or it would be very difficult) for the driver to get out of the car, if there is another car parked on the driver side. Maybe the assumption was the car would be front it. Or more likely, someone just didn't think about it.

No, a car would have to be parked on the current crosswalk in order to reach that Supercharger. I think they may end up having to move one of the SCs. If the crosswalk is supposed to be on the drivers' side when backed in for charging, then it's on the wrong side now. The only way I can see to get it on the right side would be to put the blue space on the very end next to the curb and bend the crosswalk over to it, but it will then NOT be the closest space to the curb cut, and presumably the entrance which is probably required. If the crosswalk stays on the current side then they just need to slide it over until the space lines up correctly with the SC and they're done.

I once had a conversation with the owner of a little strip mall that had two J1772s installed with a similarly misplaced HC spot. He had it all mapped out, so that the HC spot shared one of the units with a regular space nice and neat but the city made him place the handicapped crosswalk in such a way that the J1772 was smack dab in the middle of the crosswalk and the regular spot was too far for the cable to stretch. People ended up parking in the crosswalk. The guy should have moved the EVSE, but he wasn't willing spend any more money on the install.

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 3.03.47 PM.png

I think they screwed something else up, too. When they moved the peninsula on the island (see the patch of new asphalt on my photo above), they lined it up with the peninsula on the other side. The other peninsulas on this island (not visible in the picture) do not generally line up, because they are optimizing the number of parking spaces. With the new peninsula location, they've made the charging stalls extra wide on the far side of the island, while on the near side, where the extra-wide blue stall is, the other stalls will have to be extra narrow. And they've probably lost a non-charging parking space on the far side, as well.

I think they screwed something else up, too. When they moved the peninsula on the island (see the patch of new asphalt on my photo above), they lined it up with the peninsula on the other side. The other peninsulas on this island (not visible in the picture) do not generally line up, because they are optimizing the number of parking spaces. With the new peninsula location, they've made the charging stalls extra wide on the far side of the island, while on the near side, where the extra-wide blue stall is, the other stalls will have to be extra narrow. And they've probably lost a non-charging parking space on the far side, as well.

For those who are interested, here is the City of San Diego Technical Policy 11B-1 that outlines the requirements for Accessibility at EV Charging Stations...

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/pdf/industry/tpolicy11b1.pdf

For those who are interested, here is the City of San Diego Technical Policy 11B-1 that outlines the requirements for Accessibility at EV Charging Stations...

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/pdf/industry/tpolicy11b1.pdf

Interesting:

II (c) (iii) To identify an accessible EV charging station an informational sign mustbe posted which reads, “Parking for EV Charging Only; This SpaceDesigned for Disabled Access; Use Last.” When an EV charging stationis placed in conjunction with an accessible parking space this sign shallbe omitted

So it sounds like as long as the site already has enough handicapped spots allocated elsewhere, they can set up the spot with extra access on the sides and it can be used by everyone.

Ok, I see now. Handicap space should be against curb on far left and walkway moved one width to left. Then driver has room to exit and all stalls line up.

That's exactly correct! The way they have this set-up now is for the handicap car to pull in head first, and exit onto the handicap walkway. That obviously does not work for these stalls. By moving the spot all the way over, and the walkway exactly "one width to left" as you mentioned, the driver can back in correctly and exit the driver's side onto the handicap walkway. The other spots will then also be lined up correctly with the pedestals. My guess is this was the actual design (seems obvious) and someone did not read the plans. My next guess is this is the same guy who planned the original conduit.

Ignoring the pavement markings, one wonders if the SDG&E transformer has been placed,
and cables pulled through from the "street" to actually power the 6 Supercharger units.

Perhaps we can get a picture tomorrow of the transformer pad to guess at the progress
there. Or, maybe the job forman knows when power will be available for final testing?