Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google maps is saying its 170mi, I trust if I could keep the car above 200mi, then I'd probably make it?

Well, there's quite a bit of elevation change as well. EVTripper says it'll take about 209mi of rated range. I think I'd want at least a 90% charge to start the trip in an 85.

If you get into the mountains and it looks like you won't make it, I'd be willing to offer up my 240v/40a outlet as well, but like markb1, I'm a tad out of the way.

Why not top off at the new chargers at the SD service center? Or at UTC? There's lots of options in San Diego. I bet SJC will be up and running by your trip though.

There are two blink chargers down the road from the hotel in OldTown, so I think my car will be living there for a while. I'm planning to do a 100% charge (is it still called a range charge?)

If SJC is open by then, then I will go via SJC for a 10-20 minute top-off before heading to Barstow. Only if it isn't then I will have to be wary of my battery status.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a charge around San Diego. You could check with the Tesla Store at UTC about using their HPWC. You could also check with the service center, though you probably don't want to hang out there for very long. (They might be nice enough to give your a ride across town, though.) I'm happy to offer up my 14-50, too, but I'm not that close to Old Town, so that's not going to be ideal.

Yeah, I might check out UTC HPWCs, I have Twin Chargers, so hopefully should be pretty quick for top-ups

Well, there's quite a bit of elevation change as well. EVTripper says it'll take about 209mi of rated range. I think I'd want at least a 90% charge to start the trip in an 85.

If you get into the mountains and it looks like you won't make it, I'd be willing to offer up my 240v/40a outlet as well, but like markb1, I'm a tad out of the way.

Thanks to all for offering your chargers, I've signed up for Blink and Chargepoint, so hopefully they should keep me going if the Supercharger isn't ready to go.

The Elevation change is the main thing which leads to uncertainty. That being said though, UTC to Tesla S/C in Barstow is 167 miles, if I've got a 100% charge from the HPWCs there, and I can't make it with the "supposed" 265mi EPA range, then I'd be quite surprised.

Last 55 miles is going up hill. However its very doable with a full charge. Be sure to get full charge in Barstow before heading out. Safe travels!

Thanks. Here's hoping the SJC sc will be open soon. Also looking forward to the Vegas SC opening soon for a quick charge when we get there.

Will you be using Level 2 chargers on the Australia> San Diego trip? Since theres no Supercharger coverage on that route...yet

Im kidding of course! :)

Haha no, flying first class on a Qantas A380 for that trip. :)

Then limo straight to the Torrance Service Center to pick up my Tesla :) 8 days to go

Stopped by tonight. Pictures are a wreck and too dark. I'll see if I can lighten them.

All the Supercharger tops are wrapped in black plastic burlap.

The board that once covered the trench and utility hookup to the cabinet have been removed and are covered with chain link fence stacked three deep.

No additional work has been done so we are still one utility hookup away. Could happen tomorrow. Could be three weeks.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes, many thanks for these pictures! They give us all a view with some perspective. It's always great to see a new supercharger site and watch the digging, conduit laying, concrete pours, and surrounding structures up close, but there is nothing like getting the overview. Pictures from further away are great! They give us some idea of how it will look to us as we drive up to the site for the first time. We can always zoom in a little to get a better idea of parking stall arrangements etc. Again, thanks for the "BIG PICTURE" photos:biggrin:.